Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had the problem with my Magnum R/T, but have heard of valve guides falling out. I looked it up on Google and found a numbe of references to valve seats falling out, but no references to valve guides failing. The only mention of a cause for the failures that I culd see is excessive idling. Does anyone know anything about this problem. I just want to make sure I don't do something that would exacerbate the problem on my Magnum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have not had the problem with my Magnum R/T, but have heard of valve guides falling out. I looked it up on Google and found a numbe of references to valve seats falling out, but no references to valve guides failing. The only mention of a cause for the failures that I culd see is excessive idling. Does anyone know anything about this problem. I just want to make sure I don't do something that would exacerbate the problem on my Magnum.
Valve seat drop is because overheating. Not idle. And its more 2009-2011 problem than other years. Heads overheat, so aluminium expands more than steel seats and they fall out. So dont over heat your engine and if you do. Dont start it.
Extensive idling may cause MDS lifters to fail and thats other can of worms.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response Slantsix. What you said makes a lot of sense.

I guess I "dodged a bullit." I bought the car from a used car dealer. I took it into my friend's shop to have everything checked out before taking it on a trip. He noticed a brand new radiator, so we did not expect a cooling problem. I didn't have a cooling problem while driving it around home in So Cal. I took the car on a trip & it heated to about 7/8ths of the guage. The idiot used car dealer put in a new radiator without flushing the engine! I let the engine cool off, drove with the heater on full on a hot summer day, drove at night instead of the daytime, and generally did whatever I could to nurse it home. Then took it into the shop where they replaced the radiator, AND CLEANED OUT THE COOLING SYSTEM, like the used car dealer should have done to begin with! There was so much corrosion build up in that new radiator that was plugged that we never were able to drain anything out of it!

The car has run fine and stayed cool since the new radiator and engine flush!!!.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts