Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have put about 1k miles on this car so far , there are some questions i have that some off you may know the awnser to , my temp gauge seems to run higher than most cars i own , it seems like it runs fine but makes me nervous , it has the srt 8 cluster , it does not show a temp reading on computer only a oil temp and oil pressure , it runs over half on the gauge , if you looked at it like a clock it would read at 1 , or slightly higher , the temp to day was 88 and the oil temp was around 240 , if i get on it it climbs to the low 250's , then cools back down to 240ish , the pressure at an idle at these temps is 27-35 at 60mph its 45-50 . when i start it cold in the mourning the oil pressure is about 55 , the temps climps the the 1 oclock area within 1 mile then stays unless i get on it , so whats the verdict ......this motor came from a dyno shop and was said to have around 1k miles when they put it in , then they put about 1k miles on it , now i have put around 1k on it , it has stainless headers and stainless cats/pipes/mufflers , if that makes a difference . k/n intake i run 91 octane , thats the highest in town . the coolant is full , but i dont know what they used , should i flush and run something special?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats good to hear , just was not sure what was normal , also if you rev it up it does not idle down instantly like most motors , is that normal ? it does go back down just seems like it takes to long , someone said maybe the x-pipe , another thought not enough back pressue . these may seem odd questions , but would rather ask , than worry .

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
if you rev it up it does not idle down instantly like most motors , is that normal ? it does go back down just seems like it takes to long , someone said maybe the x-pipe , another thought not enough back pressue . these may seem odd questions , but would rather ask , than worry .
Mine did the same thing until I installed cam & heads. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's running good.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
It appears you have steering wheel buttons if you can toggle to oil temp and pressure.

Push and hold the lower inward buttons for 10 seconds. that will toggle the dash setting. from there, just toggle up, and you'll find a setting that shows the actual RPM and radiator temp. 12 O'clock is about 205F on my car.

You can also buy an inexpensive laser heat gun for less than $30 and shoot the temp on the thermostat housing, and where the temp probe plugs in below and right of the TB. It's hard to get a shot at the radiator, due to the fan shroud, and the front is covered by the A/C and trans cooler unit.

·
Being kept down by the man
7,782 Posts
My coolant temp was just a hair over 200 before I swapped the thermostat and changed the fan settings with my Diablo. Now it stays right about here unless I drive very hard for more than a few moments.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i am a mechanic so i dont mind changing a thermostat , what did you swap it with , also did you change to a different coolant , it did come with a diablo tuner , have not pluged it in as i didnt want to messs anything up , when he did the engine swap he said he used the tuner because of the 6.1 having no egr? , i will play with that this weekend .

·
7,782 Posts
I switched to a 180 deg thermostat. Did a coolant flush, but just used the recommended coolant. Bill (fireman2118) told me all the fan settings to use. I cant remember. There are a few of them.

This is the t-stat I used. I know there are others out there too.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Good info to know , love you guys lol :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so all great info..... i just tried the two center buttons as said and wow , you get lots more info than before . my engine temp was not as high as i worried , the oil temp does run about 20-30 degrees hotter than my engine temp .

thanks for the info..still waiting on my new wheels and mufflers . why would they want the fans coming on at such high temps ? is that just what these engines like?

·
7,782 Posts
I thing the high temps help lower emissions.

·
From Silver 2 Sexy Bullet
1,775 Posts
If you have not done so, get you a tuner and flash your fans to start up when you want them to. Make sure both your fans are coming on (high and low speed fans). They are adjustable with the tuner and will help with performance when you make the adjustments necessary.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts