Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

I just wanted to take a minute to thank all the members of CM.

On 6/3 I was leaving work at 8:30 PM after a 13 hour day, was all ready to begin my week of vacation..head out to the parking lot, jump in the ol' magnum to split home.....

**And it won't come out of park**

Well.....since I had been off and on CM since I bought my car in Jan 2010..I knew exactly what it was, that stupid pink thingy broke in the shifter.

Ran back into my building, quick search on CM for the thread, printed it for reference, did the cable pull and got home without too much hassle.

Went to the dealership to see if it was under the recall, and like everyone else my VIN was not on the list. How much I ask?.....The usuall $129.00 for a new shifter, with labor that will be $300.00+ (I think they said like $310.00....but I was already tuning it out).

Went home and went to work on it....here's my fix:

1) Broke off the remains of the hook, and found a link from my shop light chain. Shaped it into a "J" hook, and drilled a hole the same diameter as the chain link piece.
Shifter_1.jpg
2) Attatched the spring to my hook, ran it through, and cut the back to about 1/4".

Shifter_2.jpg
3) Got a nice flush bend on the back to minimize any play.
Shifter_3.jpg
4) Put the shifter together, Slapped it back in, tested.
Shifter_4.jpg
5) Reassembed center console, done!

Total time..maybe an hour.
Total cost $0.00

The people and knowledge resources on this site are great. And that's because of every mag owner here.

And that's why I would like to thank everyone on CM.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I LOVE this community and knowledge and all I have learned and am learning currently. The knowledge is endless and its all because of fellow brethren of the magnums lol. I should probably get the BT fix for this so it dosent happen to me in the future but if it happens , I know where to go :D

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Mine broke last week, been shifting out of park by manually pulling cable. Bought the new piece from local dealer for 92 cents will replace it this week.
Gotta love the forum!!!!

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
Nice job!

·
Meet Celeste
4,660 Posts
Great DIY...Had my pink thingy break too. Stealership quoted me 400 to fix so I bought the 5 dollar piece there and replaced it myself! This forum is awesome!!! I did the exact same thing when mines broke

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,568 Posts
Of our SIX magnums, I have only had to replace ONE.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts