Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any bag their magnum yet? Did you have a custom kit or did you buy a bolt on? Does anyone even make a bolt on air suspension kit?

·
Registered
28 Posts
they make a bolt on kit but its crap... I would be willin to make the mounts and sell a kit using 2500 or 2600lbs bags and shocks instead of adapting the shock waves or bag struts that they do... those only lift a few inches and do not ride real great

·
Registered
160 Posts
i also havent heard anything good about the bag kits for the mag...i have eibach springs which give the mag an aggressive stance and mean look...bags would be nice though

gumby, what do you have on yours?? i thought you had an air ride system

-todd-

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have hydraulics.... I prefer hydraulics but allot of people still believe the old stereo type of them being unreliable and giving a poor ride quality.... I fabricated all the mounts so it bolts in and out. the only thing I cant change is the holes I had to drill in the trunk but at this point the car will never go back to stock so I'm not to concerned

·
Administrator
857 Posts
Gumby said:
I have hydraulics.... I prefer hydraulics but allot of people still believe the old stereo type of them being unreliable and giving a poor ride quality.... I fabricated all the mounts so it bolts in and out. the only thing I cant change is the holes I had to drill in the trunk but at this point the car will never go back to stock so I'm not to concerned
I agree with this notion. I have riden in a Chevelle wagon that had a 2 pump 4 dump setup with shocks all the way around and it rode like a Cadillac. Its the hoppers that ride like poo. They have no shocks and the springs they use are for hopping not ride quality. I also like juice because it is quiet. Some people like the sound of air bags, I personally don't and have been meaning to get some valve silencers for my Dakota on bags.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I actually have no springs in my car.... I use accumulators, its a nitrogen bladder that acts similar to a resivior shock and creates the ride.. its also adjustable so I can soften it or stiffen it by adjusting the pressure

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gumby,
Which bolt on air ride kit are you referring to? I've only heard of three companies that offer kits for the Magnums/300c. Air Runner, Universal Air, and Easy Street. What have you heard on any of these three kits? I was running the easy street struts on my 02 Pt Cruiser and liked the adjustability of the shock, but I'm sure that the Magnum being a heavier car will have different handling and ride characteristics

·
Registered
28 Posts
kevinl1058 said:
Gumby,
Which bolt on air ride kit are you referring to? I've only heard of three companies that offer kits for the Magnums/300c. Air Runner, Universal Air, and Easy Street. What have you heard on any of these three kits? I was running the easy street struts on my 02 Pt Cruiser and liked the adjustability of the shock, but I'm sure that the Magnum being a heavier car will have different handling and ride characteristics
All 3 of them are basically identical.... in the front they use a strut bag the uses a small air bag and also has limited lift. however Car nutz in oregon used a different design that incorperates shock waves in the front... But shock waves are also poorly designed and should only be used when necessary in my opinion they were designed so that the average joe could back his car/truck with out requiring frame work

To me the design of this kit is a cheap way of mass producing something that should have been engineered per vehicle.

In the front I would build lower bag brackets with a shock mount, then place a 2600lbs bag on top of that then build a tubular upper bag bracket up to what used to be the upper shock mount with another shock mount of the side so you can have a shock that does not limit the bag up or down. And also have a bag that holds enough volume to still support the weight of the LX cars with a nice quality ride....

The PT cruiser your pretty much limited to the pre manufactured cheep way out kits due to the complexity of altering a mac pherson strut suspension safely. I'm not knocking you for buying the kit because I know that suspension limits choices. I just wish these companies would invest a little more thought into the design. I mean I could probably fab up the front mounts in under a day for the magnum and 300. and if I had access to the equipment they do it would probably take me about an hour while using 30$ in material to complete the job....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah I talked with Jay and he is no longer making the kit for the 300c/Magnums. I personnally prefer a somewhat aggressive ride (sporty) not the caddy ride. and as far as lift the photos I've seen of the equiped Magnums that have been bagged seem to achieve enough lift to match the stock height. You are correct in saying that there does need to be a kit specifically designed for our cars. Have you had a chance to ride in a bagged 300 or Magnum with either of these bag kits and can you give me your review of the ride quality versus that of a eibach droppped ride and even your juiced Magnum. Thanks for your help.. Kev

·
Registered
28 Posts
kevinl1058 said:
Yeah I talked with Jay and he is no longer making the kit for the 300c/Magnums. I personnally prefer a somewhat aggressive ride (sporty) not the caddy ride. and as far as lift the photos I've seen of the equiped Magnums that have been bagged seem to achieve enough lift to match the stock height. You are correct in saying that there does need to be a kit specifically designed for our cars. Have you had a chance to ride in a bagged 300 or Magnum with either of these bag kits and can you give me your review of the ride quality versus that of a eibach droppped ride and even your juiced Magnum. Thanks for your help.. Kev
I have riden in one and I thought it rode horrible.. because of the limited lift you could beel the suspension top out on a good bump. That would be corrected using the proper air bags and shocks. And because the bags were small it also rode very stiff. The larger bags would again correct it.

I love hydraulics and with having accumulators its adjustable so it can ride softer or stiffer. And its not adjusted by the hieght of the vehicle but by the pressure in the accumulators.

I have never riden in one with drop springs of any sort but I imagine that it would maintain a slightly more aggresive ride quality then stock while still being comfortable, which is perfect for anyone who does not want the adjustability

·
Registered
17 Posts
I 've had somewhat of a chance to view some of the different bag set ups and have a feeling that your reffering to the universal air set up. It runs a single convoluted bag over the stock shock. The easystreet set up runs an double convoluted bag over an aftermarket shock with 9 way adjustability. with my cruiser set up I had about 2" over stock of lift and tucked the wheels when dropped. Hopefully a kit specifically designed for the 300C / Magnums will come out soon. It looks as easystreet is on the verge of doing that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I had a stock magnum it would only take me a day to do it.... but with having to pull out my suspension (hydraulic lines suck to disconnect once they have been used) it's more of a hassle then its worth.... But I will make the offer that if anyone is in my area and wants it done...bring the car to me and I will make it happen..I will even give a price break since it would allow me to develop a kit

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you reffering to a hydrolic set up or air set up? I'm sure that hydrolic technologies have vastlty improved but I like air better.. I guess I need to ride in a juiced car before I can make a decision. where are you located. I'm from Beaverton Oregon..

·
Registered
28 Posts
kevinl1058 said:
Are you reffering to a hydrolic set up or air set up? I'm sure that hydrolic technologies have vastlty improved but I like air better.. I guess I need to ride in a juiced car before I can make a decision. where are you located. I'm from Beaverton Oregon..
I was refering to installing air suspension in someones car for a good deal so I could develop the kit...

I live in columbus ohio but maybe SEMA next year if you go. Most people get in my car when its lifted since I just picked them up and unless they know about the car they assume its stock.

The accumulator functions like a fox shock or a resivior shock... it's able to absorb very large bumps with out relaying the shock into the compartment to be felt by the passengers. But it does start to ride stiffer in the winter since the oil thickens the response time slow's. But I would still compare it to previous cars that I have owned with low profile tires and drop springs, even at its worst it still rides great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gumby,
I've seen many pics of your magnum very nice, Say when your at SEMA and you've had a chance to look at the DUB magnums/ 300C/ Chargers. Are they simply cutting coils to get the 3" drop. I have the Eibach sportlines on right now and I'm contimplating cutting a coil off the front and 1/2 a coil off the rear to achieve the DUB stance. Have you ever talked with any of those guys to find out how they are lowering there rides. They advertise a custom sport suspension.
Kevin

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've never talked to them or really looked at them... Some of them had air ride and some of them were on lowering coils... i dont doubt that they had a cut coil or two. As long you shorten the bump stop a coil wont really effect the ride quality

·
Major Mag Nut
4,140 Posts
I spoke to one the the DUB guys at the Long Beach Grand Prix last year and at that time they were using Eibach Sportline springs. They did get extra drop due to the added weight of extra batteries and audio and video gear, but they were not cutting coils.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Socal
if you were to look at the magnums @ DUBedition.com those are dropped more than an eibach sportline kit will give. Granted I know that they show cars and are modified for there look but the stances are nice..

·
Registered
83 Posts
socalmag said:
Any bag their magnum yet? Did you have a custom kit or did you buy a bolt on? Does anyone even make a bolt on air suspension kit?
I just purchased a airride suspension setup with the touch screen controller i forget theyre name but its a kit which fits the 300,magnum and the charger.....i should have mine on by mid january.....I know airbagit.com sells kits im not sure if they have a magnum kit yet......when i recieved and was looking at it, it seemed like it just bolted on to the existing spot on the car....we'll find out......it may take a while for me to let you know seeing im undergoing three different installations but as soon as i have updates i'll post pics
Matt

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am hoping you did not buy an airbagit kit... the reason I say that is the company you might know better is AIM Industrys.... Horrible pruducts and they continue to add company names and website's to avoid the reputation they have.... Please post pics of the kit.... I highly recommend a normal bag kit and a custom install, versus any of the existing kits

1 - 20 of 32 Posts