Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

Alpine PKG-1000 10.2" DVD Monitor installed

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  JamminWagon 
#1 ·
I was planning on makeing it a How to, but when I got to the Hobby shop the battery was dying. I could only take this one pic. The Row of red LEDs are the Infrared transmitters for the headphone. Had to take the headliner down and put a piece of wood between the roof braces to support it. Then I took the expanding foam and out it between the roof metal and the wood. The center of the headliner has a 1/2 layer of fiberfill as an temp/anti-rattle barrier. There is ABSOLUTELY no support in the midddle of the headliner to hold it to the roof. I F'd up. I calculated that I needed 3/4" lond screw to mount the monitor to the wood. It wasnt long enough so I thought I went with a 1" but it was actually 1 1/4". Yeppers the screw peaked the roof sheet metal. Not being the smartest it seems, I took the back side of a screwdriver to try to knock the peek down and now I have a dent about 5" across. Looks like someone took their fist and hit the roof. I have one of them body suction cup dent pullers and see if I can pop it out tomorrow, but probabaly not. Man I keep giving these guy more and more bodywork ahhaah.
Oh well, live and learn. Oh yeah I got it for $500 ($50 off of list). There stereo shop would have charged $200 to install it, hopefull the roof bodywork wont cost more than that.

See less See more
#3 ·
northeastern08 said:
That monitor looks familiar....

:p

Looks good man and sorry to hear about the roof problem...hope everything works out ok
Is that the Alpine?? Yeah seems that when the expanding foam expanded sideways, it took the roof down with it. talked to the body shop and I have to get a hacksaw blade in there and separate the mounting board from the roof. Then hopefully the suction cup method "should" pop it out. Still have to get the screw peaks fix. Simple dimple and fill then blend.

Lessons learned

1) DO NO USE expanding foam

2) Take in account the compression of the headliner foam when determining screw length.

#7 ·
grinner said:
dude, thats why video needs to be rollin on all these mods. It never seems like it's gonna be that big of a deal, then...
add a little comedy music and some sound effects, you have sheer entertainment.
Send me an Old vid cam hahaha. Well it would have an XXX rating due to Language haha. I almost got kicked out of the base auto hobby shop. Now its semi-funny. Well come to find out that the damage might be covered under comprehensive insurance. Back in the day I had a bottle of bleach tip over in the seat and it ate a hole and it was covered. I have an appointment with state farm tommorrow to see if they will cover. If not I am getting a "good ol boy" price of $300-$400 depending on how hard the dent is to get out. I have a $0 deductible, so if I can get it approved, it will make laughing a lil easier. But the look on my face as I screwed in the first screw and then looked to see if I had gone in too far, would have been a HFV $100,000 winner hahah. Someday I will be abe to afford a $200 pawnshop camcorder, but not the way I keep going with the Mods ahah. Of course by then I will be finished, yes Virgina I will be done someday. :D

#8 ·
Well went to State Farm and the good news is that its covered under comprehensive, $0 deductible, YAYYYY!!!!!!!!! When I talked to the guys at the body shop they gave me a $350-$400 price range for an out-of-pocket good ol boy discount. State Farm is paying $768. So I talked to the guys and asked if them if they would paint my foglamp bezels for $370, I got a puzzled look on their face until I showed them the check:p .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.