Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cool30:
Actually it's been raining here in Seattle, go figure!
My name is Kevin. About 8 years ago while walking to my 20 year class reunion (which was in 2005) I happened to pass by the local Dodge dealer and was surprised to see a really cool looking wagon on the lot. Closer inspection revealed that it had a hemi and was rear wheel drive! I have always been a Chrysler man and have owned various 60's vintage Chrysler's over the years, including front wheel drive cars from the 80's and 90's (Dodge Shadow, Eagle Vision, Dodge Neon, etc). I had given up on Chrysler as far as a introducing a cool rear drive hot rod but low and behold, there it was!

So, long story short I've always wanted one. Drove one on vacation a few years ago ('08 red SXT) and loved it. Never could afford one, though, so I kept driving my '66 Newport until I came across this ad on Craigslist - an '05 RT w/ 87K miles for $8000.00! So of course I had to go check it out.

Well, it was pretty rough.. I mean dirty, no filthy on the inside. It was purchased at an auction with a salvage title because the front end was wrecked, deployed air-bags and all. So this guy re-built it in his garage, all new hood, front bumper support, radiator support, headlights, grille, front fascia, new airbags and seat belts, new paint on the front clip, everything. I saw some things that needed attention but knew I could do most of the work myself. Now I had to convince my wife that I could afford to buy it..

I've had it for about 3 weeks now and here's what I've done:

Cleaned the crap out of the inside! Even the headliner was filthy with stains from a toddler's juice, and I don't know what else.. conditioned the leather and the vinyl, put a new dash cover on, fixed the burnt out lights in the climate control assy (PM me if you want to know how), tightened up all the trim screws, etc.

Washed and waxed the outside, touch-up paint where needed (there's some scuffs and scratches, but I'm not complaining for $8K!!)

Fixed the sloppy wiring / splicing job on the after market headlights.

Replaced rear brake shoes and adjusted the parking brake so it works.

Changed the oil and filter.

Installed new Bosch Platinum plugs (16 of them buggers..)

On the list:

Install new AC condenser and power steering cooler (he never replaced them and the condenser has holes in it from the wreck - NO AC!) Steering cooler works but is bent up so why not?

Install catch can (still figuring out where to put it.. it's not a Bully or Billet and it's kinda big..)

Clean intake plenum and throttle body

Remove air filter 'silencer' from under the bumper cover

And eventually get a Predator tuner and start doing some fun stuff:banana:

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Welcome to the site! Sounds like you've been busy!!!

Curious what you've been using to clean the headliner? Mines not pretty either.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Congrats! It was love at first sight for me too. I remember when I got mine...she was only 44k old and now she's 102k young. Great feeling...enjoy!

·
Meet Celeste
4,660 Posts
Welcome Kevin from New Jersey!!! Awesome story!!! You'll find whatever you want here. Be sure to post pics!!!

Hope the mod bug bites :haha:

Matt

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Congrats and WELCOME from NC!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, thanks for all the welcomes! Yesterday I installed the catch can, the AC condenser and the power steering cooler. Went pretty well, but had to run the the hardware store a few times to get the correct bolts (the guy who put it together after the wreck used whatever fasteners he had laying around). Now it's done right... it's missing the styrofoam bumper pad, I wonder where to get one?? The catch can I ended up making a custom mount to put it on the two studs on the front of the water pump, turned out pretty good. So far nothing in the can. Also cleaned out the throttle body and the intake (as much as I could reach with a rag) and removed the silencer. Sounds better now and a bit more peppy. Steering seems a bit more heavy, the new cooler looks more like a little radiator than the tube with fins that I removed, maybe it's more restrictive?

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you've been busy!!!

Curious what you've been using to clean the headliner? Mines not pretty either.
Cleaned the headliner with LA's Totally Awesome carpet and upholstery cleaner (available at most dollar stores, cheap and great products! Try their orange degreaser) squirted onto a sponge and scrubbed all the scuffs out. Next day I noticed that everywhere I scrubbed left a water mark like stain so I hit it with a spray bottle of water and a wet rag to try to even out and spread the water marks. It worked pretty good, headliner looks like new.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma , PICS PICS PICS show us that lovely lady!!!!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Cleaned the headliner with LA's Totally Awesome carpet and upholstery cleaner (available at most dollar stores, cheap and great products! Try their orange degreaser) squirted onto a sponge and scrubbed all the scuffs out. Next day I noticed that everywhere I scrubbed left a water mark like stain so I hit it with a spray bottle of water and a wet rag to try to even out and spread the water marks. It worked pretty good, headliner looks like new.
Thanks! I will try it this summer.

Funny how many different products from the dollar type stores work better than the fancy stuff. Recently found out PineSol works really well for cleaning carburetors.

-Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts