Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!!! Been a long time since my last post... But I have a problem with my baby, that I have had since day one.....
After she sits for a couple of weeks, not driven, (no remarks haha...) the battery is stone dead.. I have replaced it twice, last one the parts store guy called it "the beast"
and still the same thing. She has been to the dealer a while ago and checked fine.....Does anyone else have this problem??

I have put an amp meter between the battery and the car and she is only pulling .080 amps... the clock and radio ......

Any ideas would be appreciated..

Glenn

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are you sure it is a dead battery. I ran some calculations and if it is pulling .o8 amps per hour that comes out to a little over 26 amps in 2 weeks. If your battery is going dead after 2 weeks of no use, it must be pulling more than 0.08 amps. Have you tried disconnecting the ground cable, this is presuming that when Daimler and Chrysler were married, they did not use the High $ German car method of requiring the ecm to be reflashed any time the battery was disconnected.

Another possibility that comes to mind is corroded connections in plugs causing high resistance so that the battery can't overcome the resistance after it has sat for a while. I had an '87 Firebird T/A that had starting problems. When we checked out the wiring diagram we found 12-14 electrical connections between the battery and the starter solenoid that caused the voltage to drop from 13.8 volts at the battery to 10 volts at the starter solenoid. The solution was to put a small 12 volt Bosche relay next to the starter. Moved the starter solenoid wire to one side of the Bosche coil, the other side to ground. Ran a wire directly from the battery to the common side of the Bosche relay points and then a wire from the n/o side of the points to the starter solenoid. 8 volts was enough to pull in the Bosche relay, and then the starter solenoid always got solid battery voltage.

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,571 Posts
Having 15 LXs and can't drive them all, all the time, yes mine go dead after sitting too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If cars are going to sit either because you have a collection and can't drive them all or live in the rust belt and let your good car sit in winter while driving a cheap "beater", or for any reason that I have not thought of, would buying battery tenders and keeping them plugged in be the solution? In the case of NOTPAID4, 2 or 3 battery tenders that are switched around every 2-3 days might solve the problem. On the other hand if you can afford 15 cars, having 15 battery tenders is probably not that big an issue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Something else that I had not thought of. How old is the battery? Get it charged up and have it load tested. It may be a battery needs replacing.

I don't think the issue applies to our cars, but my brother has a Jeep Patriot, that kills a battery every 12-18 months. He has given up on Chrysler Corp. because every time it happens the dealer tells him he has a bad battery and sells him a new one. My understanding is that it is an ongoing problem that Chrysler Won't admit to. I think it may be that the new cars are using more electricity than expected and the voltage regulating system is over charging batteries and cooking them. The solution if you have space for it is to install 2 batteries, or if there is room replace your failed battery with one with more capacity, since the problem may be that the stock battery is too small for the electrical system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All!!! Been a long time since my last post... But I have a problem with my baby, that I have had since day one.....
After she sits for a couple of weeks, not driven, (no remarks haha...) the battery is stone dead.. I have replaced it twice, last one the parts store guy called it "the beast"
and still the same thing. She has been to the dealer a while ago and checked fine.....Does anyone else have this problem??

I have put an amp meter between the battery and the car and she is only pulling .080 amps... the clock and radio ......

Any ideas would be appreciated..

Glenn

If you are looking for change the old battery of your vehicle or inverter? Buy Battery Online only on Batterydukaan.com at best price through online pay or cash on delivery. BatteryDukaan provides car battery, bike battery, inverter battery, ups battery, home inverters and home ups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts