Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Ive owned my 06 R/T since rolling her off the lot with 17miles, now rocking 37k. After reading the forums i've decided to start with the predator tune and LMI CAI. Afterwards I plan to tackle the exhaust. My questions for the exhaust are what/where exactly is the restriction in the R/T piping and what would be the best route to fix this. Im also considering headers but ive also read where some of you have used SRT manis. I love the sound of corsa also and i'm looking at hanging that catback system at the same time I fix the restriction. Thoughts? Also check out this wheel, will be a while due to the above mods eating my budget for now. Wheel link - Its the BD-5 car is black Loading...

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
The restriction in the 5.7 exhaust system is at the manifolds.. Take care of that to get some performance increases. If you're considering 6.1 manifolds there's a couple things to address in order to use them.

EGR - You'll either have to delete the EGR valve or provide for clearance by grinding relief into the 6.1 manifolds.
Mid pipes - The 6.1 manifolds are longer and will require 6.1 mid pipes also.

The easier route may be to go with short headers such as those made by JBA. They are a direct replacement for the stock manifolds and work well. I have the JBA headers, the JBA high flow mid pipes and the Corsa exhaust on my 5.7.

·
SilverMagR/T
60 Posts
I have a set of srt shorties if you are interested. PM me for details. As fireman said there are some things you will need to do if you go this route but its the best bang for your buck and from what I am told the srt shorties are as good as any.

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
I have a set of srt shorties if you are interested. PM me for details. As fireman said there are some things you will need to do if you go this route but its the best bang for your buck and from what I am told the srt shorties are as good as any.
It's the best bang for the buck if you already have everything you need. If you have to go out and buy mid pipes, adapters and an EGR block off kit to make a set of 6.1 headers work, it may not end up being such a good deal.

·
SilverMagR/T
60 Posts
It's the best bang for the buck if you already have everything you need. If you have to go out and buy mid pipes, adapters and an EGR block off kit to make a set of 6.1 headers work, it may not end up being such a good deal.
This is true. As usual fireman is correct. If you had the parts already it is way cheaper to purchase used srt shorties.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, well thanks any way Silver but I think I may just go with aftermarket. Anyone used long tube headers? I've been looking at a few of those as well, not sure about any benefit over shorty headers. Also any advantage to using taylor short wires over my stock 06 wires? I've read debates on power loss etc.. using these wires and something about them not being beneficial to 06 and up because of slightly different ignitions?

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
Ok, well thanks any way Silver but I think I may just go with aftermarket. Anyone used long tube headers? I've been looking at a few of those as well, not sure about any benefit over shorty headers. Also any advantage to using taylor short wires over my stock 06 wires? I've read debates on power loss etc.. using these wires and something about them not being beneficial to 06 and up because of slightly different ignitions?
I guess you haven't looked under your engine cover yet. '06-'08 don't use plug wires. As far as headers go, long tubes may give you a bit more hp but can cause O2 sensor codes because of the change in position of the rear sensors. You won't pass emissions testing with long tubes.

·
SilverMagR/T
60 Posts
Fireman, other than the codes do the long tubes affect anything else. Thats the reason I am selling the shorties is to purchase long tubes. I dont have to worry about emissions here in Southern Illinois so. Also can you just clear the codes with the predator.

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
Fireman, other than the codes do the long tubes affect anything else. Thats the reason I am selling the shorties is to purchase long tubes. I dont have to worry about emissions here in Southern Illinois so. Also can you just clear the codes with the predator.
It's a hassle having to deal with the codes all the time. Other than that. no real issues. You can clear the codes with the tuner or by disconnecting the battery.
Sometimes spark plug anti foulers stuffed with steel wool and threaded into the rear O2 sensor bung prior to the sensors can fool them into not throwing codes.

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
Maybe 320-325 rwhp

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
I was referring to when I put the Long Tubes on, is that with or without the Long Tubes. Thanks for your info.
Maybe 330 whp. The 6.1 cam really isn't a strong upgrade for a 5.7. If you want to keep it fairly mild, you'd be better off going to a Sidewinder

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats good to know about the wires. And yes you caught me, I have not removed the cover yet, but I plan to lol. After the above mentioned mods I plan on a cam change as well. I'd rather not go to high duration though, im trying to keep it a semi daily/travelling ride. What would you recommend as a direct replacement, something that may or may not require a spring change. My goal is around 400hp at the crank, id like to get 300+ to the tires.

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
Thats good to know about the wires. And yes you caught me, I have not removed the cover yet, but I plan to lol. After the above mentioned mods I plan on a cam change as well. I'd rather not go to high duration though, im trying to keep it a semi daily/travelling ride. What would you recommend as a direct replacement, something that may or may not require a spring change. My goal is around 400hp at the crank, id like to get 300+ to the tires.
A Sidewinder cam from MWP (Modern Warfare Performance - 5.7L Camshafts - Hemi 5.7L - Mopar - Modern Warfare Performance) is a great entry level cam and is very reliable for a daily driver. Valve spring replacement is recommended (to 6.1 exhaust springs minimum) anytime you're going to upgrade a camshaft.
When/if you change cams, it's advisable to upgrade the timing set and oil pump to 6.1 units. The 5.7 timing set tensioners have weak springs and are known to break over time with upgraded cams. A 6.1 timing set with better tensioner will hold up under the added stresses. A 6.1 oil pump will increase oil pressure, providing for better oiling of the top end of the motor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts