Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...new to the forum.

I have a 08 magnum 2.7L V6

My buddy had 35in tires on his dodge dakota and got higher gears to help his acceleration. Is it possible to do the same thing for my dodge? If so where and what?

Thanks!

·
"CREEPLIFE...SOOOWOOO"
3,722 Posts
hey...new to the forum.

I have a 08 magnum 2.7l v6

my buddy had 35in tires on his dodge dakota and got higher gears to help his acceleration. Is it possible to do the same thing for my dodge? If so where and what?

Thanks!
no u can up ur hp but not by much there are a few good sellers here that can help u with that radglenn and welcome from north jersey

·
Steady As She Goes!!!...
6,467 Posts
hello and welcome from Orange County!
I also have a 08 2.7 and have SRT 20's
that's the biggest I would go for a 2.7

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,575 Posts
Welcome from a FOUR MAGNUM family in North Carolina

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Yes, you can change the gears in your rear. I don't know if it's worth the 2k it'll cost you to do it though. Besides, on the 2.7, you'll run into other issues.
(fuel mileage, rev limits, top speed)

What you need is more torque and horse power or smaller wheels

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
I agree with Fireman. The over all diameter change between stock and 22" wheels isn't enough to warrant a change in your gears. Guys with the trucks do it because they are putting on a tire that is 4" or greater than stock. I think the reason the 22" wheels slow us down is the weight. If you can find a set of light weight 22" wheels, I don't think you would notice much change in your performance.

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,413 Posts
Welcome from Illinois. I owned a 05 2.7 and the acceleration was poor on stock wheels. You could upgrade your intake and exhaust, see if that helps. At least that way you get a couple fun mods to show off. I'd rather put my money into that than new gears. Less expensive too, I'm sure.

·
//CMOM | Secret Agent//
3,243 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 2.7 has taller gears from the factory to help with acceleration. I know the SXT trim level does.

So how about that HEMI upgrade?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Hemi upgrade on a 2.7 is a bit more expensive than on a 3.5 as in most (if not all) cases the 2.7 comes with the 4-speed auto. 3.5's (in most cases) come with a 5-speed auto and you need that tranny for the Hemi.

For a 2.7, there's not much in the way of "practical" performance you can do IMHO before spending some real bucks. Just comes down to how much you want to spend. There are often deals out there for 3.5's or 5.7 with tranny's, so if that's in the cards, I wouldn't rule it out. Doing a supercharger would be similar in price, but you can do it without the tranny swap and all the computer work of either a 3.5 or 5.7 swap.

Again, in the end, it's how much you want to spend. Stick with the basics and see how it works first (intake, exhaust, throttle body, maybe a cam, etc.).

Rich

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
^^Here's a guy who's done his homework. Have to listen to him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts