Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

Black '05 R/T Demold

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  NOTPAID4 
#1 ·
Well after reading a lot of posts about demolding and seeing some very convincing pics, I took the leap and demolded one side. I had read about the bubbles issue and everyone talked about how you could get them but I never got the full idea of what they were. So, I have them, bad. The front fender the rear doors clean but the front door looks horrible. Its not just a couple bubbles, it's consistently convered behind the molding. The bubbles are caused by the water that gets trapped behind the molding and doesnt have a way to escape. I actually popped some of the bubbles by pushing on them and water squirted out. It's dark now and you wouldnt be able to see exactly what I mean but I'll try to take pics tomorrow. My advice to other black '05ers would be to wait until youre 100% ready to have to pay for painting.

#2 ·
technically the "bubbling" on the 05's is not caused by water being trapped, but by the moulding being installed on the vehicle before the paint has had sufficient time to "flash off". When something is painted, there are multiple layers of products (primer, sealer, base, clear) that are all solvent based, and those solvents need to flash off, or rise to the surface and evaporate. The products are all intended to work together (primer solvents raise through base, base through clear etc.) with everything working towards the surface. Once you apply something like the mouldings (or even waxing) before completely cured, you stop the natural cycle, and it traps the solvents, leaving them in liquid form below the surface of the clear. This is what you would have seen when you took your mouldings off, and also why it is such a hassle to repaint, becuase its not just a simple scuff-n-shoot, as the "pits" cuased by the bubbles go clear down to the initial primer on the vehicle, and have to be filled

sorry for the story, just thought I would throw that out there!

did you go ahead with the other side then? Waiting on the pics!

#3 ·
damn, thanks for the technical breakdown. I thought it was weird that the paint absorbed the water. That definitely makes sense now that you put it that way. I didn't get started on the other side yet because my thumbs are raw from rubbing off the adhesive. I'll be sure to post pics tomorrow. I'm anxious to see how bad it looks in the sun. Thanks again for the professional explaination.

#6 ·
sorry to hear about the bubbles man, that sucks! Worst case, you could just put them back on in case it is to bad to deal with. But I think your raw thumbs might kick your butt if you even thought about it!!! And a demoulded maggie just looks so good!!!! Bean for the raw thumbs and the courage to jump on the DIY mod.

#7 ·
haha thanks guys. I dont mind being the lab rat and I'll keep everyone posted on what it takes to get it cleaned up. Deznuts, it's a love/hate relationship because it looks sick from 10 feet away. My other option that I was thinking about would be to paint the chrome strip at the top which would keep you from having to remove the molding and also be able to get the all black look. I kinda regret not trying that first but that's an option for others out there. I'll get pics up after work.

#10 ·
My Black '05 Had exactly "0" bubbles under the moldings.....Lucky me!

#11 ·
I'm too scared to try mine also! Guess I like the molding.... at least my molding is in really good shape!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.