Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many before me, my widow trim is decaying pretty bad, you can start to see the chrome beneath it. I'm talking about the black trim that sits just below the windows on the doors. Does anyone have any experience removing the black, crumbling parts?

It actually looks good with just the chrome that lies beneath it, but I don't wanna sand the black stuff off and risk scratching the chrome.

Any suggestions?

·
Rollin in the Mag
5,350 Posts
There have been threads on removing them. The inside door panels have to come off to reveal screws that need to be removed.

·
hit it like a stormtrooper
2,472 Posts
Yup. You gotta go in through the inside door panel. Cheapest way is you can buy matte black vinyl that you can cut, fit and trim to cover the strip. You can go from the inside door panels to remove, paint/dip and reinstall. You can also buy the strips that you can paint and put over the current strips. This is a very common problem and is for sure an eye sore when looking at that flakey black with chrome showing through.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I lightly sanded mine, masked off the sills, and used Rustoleum 2x Ultra Cover flat black paint & primer. Looks pretty good so far.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have done this before and its not to hard to complete. You do have to remove the interior door panels (careful not to break the retainer clips) to gain access to certain screws that are torx T25, 2 of them total for each door. The first screw is easily seen when you open the door, the second not so much. Its recessed inside the door frame up towards the mirror for the front, and towards the lock mechanism in the back if that makes sense? If you have a magnetic torx screw driver it will come in very handy at this point to get the ones that are recessed, if not well happy fishing to ya (I know from experience)! The plastic trim that surrounds the window can be easily removed by simply pulling it away from the window track (you only have to do this for the front). This will give you access to the bolts that hold the mirror on ( I found it easier to get the trim off with the mirror removed). and that's pretty much it, I think there is a thread elsewhere online but I cant remember the link, maybe lxforums? I used some carbon fiber vinyl from autozone and wrapped mine. It will take 2 rolls if you go this route and make sure you clean them really well with acetone. I wish I had taken pictures of the process but i don't think of stuff like that until after I'm done. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it possible to just remove the black rubber or whatever from the trim and just leave it as chrome or is that not recommended? I like the chrome look a lot against the black metallic paint but i'm concerned about water getting in and damaging things?

I bought a magnum recently that needs a little cosmetic lovin'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
from the trim and just leave it as chrome or is that not recommended? I like the chrome look a lot against the black metallic paint but i'm concerned about water getting in and damaging things?

I bought a magnum recently that needs a little cosmetic lovin'.
[/QUOTE]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts