Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys that have replaced your head units, do you need to bypass the factory amp when you install an aftermarket head unit? My concern is that the factory speakers are all 2 ohm and the aftermarket head units are 4 ohm. Just curious what the best option here is, wire it up to factory amp or bypass the amp. Sorry for new thread but thought this deserved a new one since it is a different question.

·
Registered
146 Posts
To use the factory amp with aftermarker HU you would need something like "C2R-CHY4 Pac Canbus adapter". Not very hard to wire up but I just put in a basic CD/MP3 player. Others with DVD screens etc can probably give more info. I was just adding a sub and got tired of fighting with the factory HU.

·
Registered
43 Posts
you don't have to bypass the amp if you don't want to they sell a wiring kit to intergrade the new stereo with it, try crutchfield.com if you are uncomfortable installing it they also have a great tech support to help walk you though it. Also if you wanted to upgrade your speaker I would recommend kicker 6x9 directly from amazon which will run you about $50 per pair.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are either of you using the factory amp with an aftermarket head unit? How does it sound, any issues? I plan on using the amp, I'm waiting on a couple checks in the mail and when they hit I plan on making my purchase. I'm just contemplating whether the factory amp will sound better than using the power directly from the head unit. Right now I plan on buying the harness to use the factory amp unless someone gives me some real life experience stating otherwise. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes B-Rock. I'm using factory amp with aftermarket HU. I think it sounds pretty good. The door speakers thump well and the rest sound good to me. I also dropped Alpine 3 way 6x9's in the rear because I had them laying around. The only down side I know of is that you lose F-R fade options because that is controlled by the factory amp using the factory HU (L-R balance still works though). Because of this you will need to wire the rear speaker wires to the front wires of the adapter, or something like that. The instructions on the adapter will tell you specifically (or the front wires, to the adapter rear wires. I can't remember which.) The amp takes the signal from the speaker wires and distributes it to all 6 speakers. Also, there is a built in crossover so if you swap speakers in the doors don't waste money on 2 way or 3 way because the crossover cuts out everything but the lows for the door speakers. I'm sure others can chime in with more info, but I hope that helps you out a bit.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you man, I wasn't aware of the Fade issue. I still have not gotten my check in the mail yet that I plan on using for the purchase. Can't wait so I can get something on order. I'm so tired of fumbling through all the wires for my phone to use it for navigation and pandora/slacker.
Yes B-Rock. I'm using factory amp with aftermarket HU. I think it sounds pretty good. The door speakers thump well and the rest sound good to me. I also dropped Alpine 3 way 6x9's in the rear because I had them laying around. The only down side I know of is that you lose F-R fade options because that is controlled by the factory amp using the factory HU (L-R balance still works though). Because of this you will need to wire the rear speaker wires to the front wires of the adapter, or something like that. The instructions on the adapter will tell you specifically (or the front wires, to the adapter rear wires. I can't remember which.) The amp takes the signal from the speaker wires and distributes it to all 6 speakers. Also, there is a built in crossover so if you swap speakers in the doors don't waste money on 2 way or 3 way because the crossover cuts out everything but the lows for the door speakers. I'm sure others can chime in with more info, but I hope that helps you out a bit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would say if your going to keep the stock speakers, then use the factory amp because as stated above the factory amp handles what frequencies go to which speakers and is optimized for use with the setup in the car. If you don't like how it sounds you will have to prepare to spend at least $400 or so to replace the speakers and have someone bypass the factory amplifier. I'm a sound guy, it's what I do for a living, so my obvious suggestion is going to be use the factory amp while you save up for a 4 channel amp, a good set of component speakers for the front doors, and matching pair of 2 way speakers for the rear. This is the best case scenario as far as sound is concerned. Without getting into subwoofers and additional amps of course

·
Registered
167 Posts
Where is the factory amp in the Magnum?

I'm considering an audio upgrade myself, changing from my stock RAK to a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT (Nav) system. Will adding the flatscreen and nav features mean I have to change amps, or deos that really matter since those are non-audio?

·
Registered
95 Posts
No you don't have to switch the factory amp, the radio replacement harness for your car will integrate with it and make it sound a bit better. I do believe you lose the ability to fade front to rear though. Factory amp is under the steering column if I remember correctly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trying to hook up my system

I would say if your going to keep the stock speakers, then use the factory amp because as stated above the factory amp handles what frequencies go to which speakers and is optimized for use with the setup in the car. If you don't like how it sounds you will have to prepare to spend at least $400 or so to replace the speakers and have someone bypass the factory amplifier. I'm a sound guy, it's what I do for a living, so my obvious suggestion is going to be use the factory amp while you save up for a 4 channel amp, a good set of component speakers for the front doors, and matching pair of 2 way speakers for the rear. This is the best case scenario as far as sound is concerned. Without getting into subwoofers and additional amps of course
Alright I'm looking to get the best possible sound quality I can....I already have 2 MTX 10's hooked up to a 700W amp. I didnt want anything to massive cause I have a car seat!!! lol anyways I still have my factory head unit in and my set-up, I have the subs hooked up to the rear speakers so I can control the bass output from the subs, but I still have a muffled bass sound and I need that clear.....Should I buy a new amp with more Watts? Get a aftermarket headunit? Both? Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'll get better bass tapping into the front door speakers at the factory amp. Rear speakers are filtered to have less bass. The doors have all the bass signal.
Alright I'm looking to get the best possible sound quality I can....I already have 2 MTX 10's hooked up to a 700W amp. I didnt want anything to massive cause I have a car seat!!! lol anyways I still have my factory head unit in and my set-up, I have the subs hooked up to the rear speakers so I can control the bass output from the subs, but I still have a muffled bass sound and I need that clear.....Should I buy a new amp with more Watts? Get a aftermarket headunit? Both? Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
95 Posts
The stock speakers do tend to sound pretty muddy. If it were me I'd switch the head unit out first. Look for something that has a decent built in crossover so that you can cut some of the bass out of the interior speakers for some more clarity and just have the subwoofers handle the majority of bass. See how you like that. If it's still not clear enough for you then you should get a decent set of speakers, preferably a component set, for the front of the car and see how you like that. If it's STILL not as clear as you want it then swap out the rear speakers as well and get a small 4 channel amp to run your interior speakers. None of these steps will be a waste of money because they are all progressive improvements that make things sound better with each step.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are either of you using the factory amp with an aftermarket head unit? How does it sound, any issues? I plan on using the amp, I'm waiting on a couple checks in the mail and when they hit I plan on making my purchase. I'm just contemplating whether the factory amp will sound better than using the power directly from the head unit. Right now I plan on buying the harness to use the factory amp unless someone gives me some real life experience stating otherwise. Thanks again for the help.
I replaced my factory head unit with a pioneer on my 07 magnum se. Which was fine til my son blew a speaker. Once i installed new speakers the factory amp cut out. So now i need an amp bypass harness. I was looking at a video and found that dodge puts the amps in factory to increase cheaper speakers sound but it also stops some lower end sound from getting to the speakers. After bypassing the factory amp you get a broader range of sound from Your speakers. However if the head unit is kickin better watt and ohm then, just start with the amp bypass and go ahead and replace all your speakers so you don't have to deal with it later. If i would've done the bypass to begin with i wouldn't have no sound now. Cause the factory amp kicked out.. i hope this helps. I think it was a crutchfield video..oh and one more thing if you don't want to splice speaker wire go ahead and buy the factory speaker clip wires just plug and play. Way easier. My magnum has 6x9 all the way around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts