Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I taught I taw a puddy tat....
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I've been having some problems as of late. I thought it could be the fuel filter but thanks to some informative posts by you folks I've ruled that out. The check engine light came on maybe a month or two ago and the code it gave me was P0406 which is a bad EGR valve but the car was running fine. The light has come on and gone out again several times since then. About a week ago the car began hesitating when I was trying to maintain a steady speed between about 25-40 mph even though the CEL was not on. Nothing drastic but it was VERY noticeable. Yesterday the CEL came on again and gave me the P0406 code again so I immediately made an appointment to have the EGR replaced. (and of course today the CEL went out again):cool5: So, my main question is:
Can a bad EGR cause hesitation or do I now have some other problem going on? Those of you that have had the EGR problem please lemme know if you felt any hesitation at the same time. Thanks folks.

·
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a catch can hose that is slightly kinked(not too bad though). So Scoot, do you believe the EGR could cause the hesitation or are you figuring that it must be something else? I was just going to have the EGR replaced but maybe I should pay the extra $97 for the full diagnostic check.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Your EGR might be causing it, I took mine off a long time ago so i have not had one go bad....I have heard of them causing problems similar to that.

if your throwing an EGR specific CEL then you might be right on.

·
Going through Magnum withdraws
1,780 Posts
My egr is going bad and it does the same thing about the same speed! I am just hoping it will hold off until spring so I can fix it!

·
Registered
969 Posts
If you are getting an EGR code it can be caused by more than just the EGR valve itself. The computer is setting the code because when the system tells the EGR to come on it needs to see several changes and if it is not seeing those changes the computer system believes the EGR is not working properly. Is the for code for no or low EGR flow? That means that the valve is not opening like it should and this could be because there is no movement of the EGR valve or that the passages from the exhaust system to EGR valve are clogged with carbon and when the valve opens there is not good exhaust flow. If you have access to a scan tool you can use it to operate the EGR valve to see if the computer can control the valve. If you don't have and scan tool and want to check exhaust and engine vacuum flow. Remove the EGR valve and put a piece of duct tape over the intake manifold port and start the engine you should hear a loud exhaust leak if so you know the exhaust side is open now take the tape off the intake side and start the engine again the engine should want to run real rough or stalls. If it does then the intake manifold is open. I hope this is some help Good Luck

·
^you cant see my mag... hahaha
4,553 Posts
If you are getting an EGR code it can be caused by more than just the EGR valve itself. The computer is setting the code because when the system tells the EGR to come on it needs to see several changes and if it is not seeing those changes the computer system believes the EGR is not working properly. Is the for code for no or low EGR flow? That means that the valve is not opening like it should and this could be because there is no movement of the EGR valve or that the passages from the exhaust system to EGR valve are clogged with carbon and when the valve opens there is not good exhaust flow. If you have access to a scan tool you can use it to operate the EGR valve to see if the computer can control the valve. If you don't have and scan tool and want to check exhaust and engine vacuum flow. Remove the EGR valve and put a piece of duct tape over the intake manifold port and start the engine you should hear a loud exhaust leak if so you know the exhaust side is open now take the tape off the intake side and start the engine again the engine should want to run real rough or stalls. If it does then the intake manifold is open. I hope this is some help Good Luck
could this also be related to a dirty air filter? just wondering cause im kinda gettin the same sputter around those speeds and im a little past due on an air filter change...

·
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I'm gonna start by replacing the EGR valve and cleaning my K&N air filter and go from there. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
712 Posts
my frinds car was hesitating when speeding up from 0-50.. he never checked on it and one day it had no power and was shifting badly.. new egr went in and he went ahead with plugs and wires.. mech said he had a nicked wire and bad plug.. runs like a top now

·
Registered
178 Posts
bad egr will cause hesitation and rough idling fo sho!

·
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. Got the EGR replaced at the stealership today and the hesitation is now gone. However in the true stealership (at least the one by me) tradition they quoted me a price of "around $200" but when I went to pick it up the bill was $369!!! Although I argued fiercely, even using some words my son shouldn't have heard, the bottom line was they had my car and I had to pay it. Needless to say, I will NEVER go there for anything again!

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
i got the same problem only i got code p0404 ????
P0404= Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Range/Performance.

What that means exactly, I don't know but hopefully this will give you a place to start looking.

·
What to do next hmmm...
178 Posts
u got me light came on on last week in june then i got in a kinda head on accident, the body shop had car for a month and one day got it back light was out. (disconnected the battery) light hasnt come on since but i still feel like there is something wrong with it. it still hesitates at times. almost stalls

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I like to look at things in a simple way and sometimes< alot of the time, I'll stumble onto something that results in a fix of the problem. Using the predator, I disabled the MDS and the cel light stayed off and the code has not been thrown since. That was about August of last year. (shoulder shrug)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts