Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T 5.7 L began to overheat Friday after i got home around 4:20 P.M. after about to go out of town to see my pops, when it began to overheat with the needle past the middle line around a quarter away from the big red H. as soon as I stepped back into my car. Note temperature was pretty high in the 90's in Austin, Tx. I heard my fans on running hard. I didn't have the ac on. I turned on the heater and felt no hot air but temperature slowly started to decrease. I immediately shut off my car and checked my fluids.

At the start of checking my fluids the levels where low. I filled up with a 50/50 in the overflow/res tank and turned my car on all after I cooled off for 2 hours. to my surprise, the fluid was not sucking into the engine. After turning back on and allowing the car to reach operating temps, the fans would in-gauge but, there was no coolant flow still at the same levels as it was before again running hot after 30 minutes of sitting idle.

Next day Saturday, after letting my car cool off over night I attempted to drain the car pulling the T plug at bottom of radiator first and letting it drain out. after fluid drained a little i removed the bottom hose which made me mad because someone decided to put a screw clamp on and faced it where it was hard as hell to get any play to remove it... :angryfire:.
After getting this free all of the coolant flowed out of the radiator and it was empty. I flowed water through where I took the neck of the hose coming off from the thermostat and water pump to the radiator I flowed water through which came out clean no deposits or anything (before I got the car i was told that the radiator was replaced along with the fan because it went out on them) I replaced the older thermostat with one that came with the gasket on it factory spec. replaced and when i was about to refill with fluid i noticed that nothing flowed out of the water pump nor the reservoir which i'm use to but I've read that all of that is pressurized and i shouldn't see it yet. After I connected everything back I used an allen wrench to screw off to let air out of the water pump and squeezed the hose there was nothing coming out so i re attached it. So now I attempted on turning the car on and getting to operating temps. again it started to overheat. Well I let it set in because i needed to watch the Basketball game last night and rest because of being in the son ALL DAY.

Today, I attempted to get car to operating temps. still the fluid after reaching temp needle to half way after the fan kicked on, remained in reservoir without moving an inch at all just kept trying to overheat. I looked for leaks at water pump there where none. no strange sounds, no gurgling or burping when i attempted to burp the system again after awhile of letting it cool.

I attempted to try again after drain the radiator from t tab again but only a little bit of water came out not a lot. letting me know something is not flowing right I adjusted it back again. and attempted to turn on the car I heard a loud clanking sound and the car just died. since then I have tried to turn it on at 3:13 pm now and it still will not it will crank over but that's it or try to crank and die. So now I need some sort of assurance on what this is...

My overall guess at this moment will be the Timing belt finally dying and saying a big F U and wont allow my car to turn on after it overheated and killing my water pump in the process out of nowhere because, nothing is flowing in my reservoir tank out. That is my theory but, I would like to hear from what other people have to think... I really like this car its a damn shame this just happen and I have only just over 100,000 miles on it now yes it was time for me to do my full maintenance on it just patiently waiting on my 3500$ to come in and I can but, now i cannot drive :(.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Sorry to say but it doesn't sound good at all. Some early Hemi cars (many of them '06 models) have a bad habit of dropping intake valve seats after the engine has been severely overheated. Sounds like that may have happened to you. If it has, you're more than likely looking at a major rebuild. As shane93nc mentions above, pull the plugs and inspect the cylinders for damage. You can try using a scope but it may require removing the heads. While it is possible that the timing CHAIN (no belt) broke, it's highly unlikely in this situation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts