Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after months of endless searching of every salvage yard within 400 miles of me for the elusive Magnum hidden hitch, once made by Valley, I started to give up. I actually got stuck with one of the hitch's that I went to look at near Canada, as the yard had a restocking fee...The hitch turned out to be a Drawtite hitch. $50, oh well. I wanted a hidden hitch to tow my motorcycle and jet ski but didn't want to see it when not in use. I read a thread on the LX forum that said the Challenger/300 Mopar hidden hitch might work on the Magnums. I did some research and looked at a ton of photos and installation instructions of the two hitch's and determined they were identical besides the mounting tabs installed for the 300 rear fascia.
So, I ordered a new one off of Ebay for $200 part# 82212365, which came in earlier this week.:headbang:

All I can say is, I wish I would have looked into this sooner as it would have saved me a great deal of time, money and headaches. The hitch fits like a glove! For everyone that is still looking for one, you can get a new one! Here are some photos of install. I only had one issue with install concerning the included handle nuts.

New Mopar Hidden Hitch. I believe it is rated at 2,000 - lb tow rating and 200 - lb tongue weight. The hitch has no stampings or markings of this. Nor did the Mopar box that it came. Instructions just said to refer to owners manual for ratings. Shipping weight of hitch and hardware was 36 lbs

Installation hardware included. I did not use the handle nuts as I had issues with them.

I took rear fascia off as I knew it was going to be easier to slide the hitch in without it and could remove the crush brace thats black in this photo. It just cups over the metal bumper - which I did notice a rattling sound before removing fascia - so I used a bunch of stainless self tap screws to secure it once completed with install. It also made the install of trailer wiring much easier/cleaner. Sry, I'm right in middle of plasti dipping the car a new color.

You have to unbolt the exhaust hangers on both sides and let the resonators drop down a little. I used a strap to support the weight before doing so to relieve some of the stress on muffler. The driver side drops more than passenger side as it's bolted to muffler and not welded.

You want enough room to comfortably get your hands up above exhaust to install hardware.

Highly recommend running a tap thru the factory treaded nuts in the cars frame a couple times each. There are two on drivers side and one on passenger side for the hitch mounting points. Tap size 12mm x 1.75 and used a 8mm ratchet wrench to turn tap. Passenger side has little room for hands to fit in above exhaust so I used small wood block in between resonator and car body to give me space. Also a good time to run a tap thru the exhaust hanger threads to clean them out; I don't remember tap size - maybe 8mm x 1.50. Made install easier as I was doing it by myself and didn't want to fight with difficult hardware while holding the hitch.

I bought stainless flat/lock washers from hardware store as the hardware kit should have had some. Make sure to use some anti oxidant on the bolt threads to prevent future issues. I got the hitch in place by sort of sliding it in directly from rear of car above the hanging exhaust, then let the passenger side sit on exhaust while I put a bolt in driver side, then one in the passenger side to hold hitch up. This is when I started having major issues with the handle nuts. I got all the hardware installed and started to torque everything down but the handle nuts would not take any more than 45 ft lbs of torque before they would twist around pulling the strap up into the frame. I was using locking pliers on the strap to hold it while trying to torque but same issue. The straps became mangled so I took them out. Again, the passenger exhaust does not hang very low so I used a wood block to hold it out of way.

Mangled handle nuts

I decided to instead drop the bolts down from inside the frame like curt hitch's are installed. I went and bought grade 10 flanged nuts and heavy duty stainless washers to use on the supplied Mopar bolts. I used a small wire wrapped around threads to help guide the bolt thru the frame with no issues. Also had to grind a flat spot on the washer at bolt head to allow it run thru hole in body of car. Once I had to bolts in, is when I noticed that the shank on the bolts extended past the frame and hitch not allowing the now damaged handle nuts to completely tighten. So I decided to install even heavier duty extra thick stainless washers 1/2' x 2" and doubled them up.

How the drivers side looked once hardware was in. I took a 5/8" closed end wrench and bent it in vise to hold the head of the bolts that were dropped down from frame. You will need to get the wrench really hot with torch to bend correctly. Really didn't need it for final torque though as the bolts did not move.

Passenger side

How the hitch looks - it fits perfectly around the spare tire area, like is molded to the car. At this time I checked all 6 bolts for proper torque to 75 ft lbs.

Now for the exhaust brackets. I did not use the ones supplied due to the drivers side not sitting flat to the hitch because of oversized washers I used but I did not like them as they have no rib on the end to prevent the rubber hanger from sliding off. Granted it probably would never slide off. So I modified the stock ones per the instructions that are for the Magnum hitch install. You have to grind off the tabs that prevent the hanger from twisting when tightening down.

This is what the supplied hanger looked like on the passenger side. The rubber hanger is close to end of bracket and I did not care for it.

Before tabs cut

After tabs cut

I then media blasted them and sprayed them with zinc galvanized paint to prevent corrosion.

Installed driver and passenger sides. Torqued the bolts and made sure the exhaust was not hitting any part of hitch = all good.

ALL DONE.:banana:Now to wire up the Curt trailer wiring and converter

·
hit it like a stormtrooper
2,472 Posts
Great write up buddy. Very detailed and very easy to follow. Pro job for sure

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Thanks for the how to. I plan to install a hitch soon & this will help for sure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the how to. I plan to install a hitch soon & this will help for sure.
No problem, it was a very easy install even with hardware issues. I'm glad I took a chance on the Challenger/300 hidden Mopar hitch. It fits great. I will be completing a short write up on the Curt trailer T-connectot kit install as well.

·
SpaceCity LX
662 Posts
Yep, I installed the same Mopar hitch shortly after getting my Magnum back in 08. Love it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts