Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light came on this afternoon, so I made a quick detour to O'Reilly's to get the code read. It came back as a stuck open thermostat. Does this sound plausible? Is the engine management system that smart, or is a sensor going bad?
Excuse me if I asked a less than intelligent question. I ride motorcycles year round, and the Magnum sees very little use, (2006 w 80,000). I bought a new thermostat and will put it in this weekend. Is there something else I need to be on the lookout for?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
You can check your codes by doing the key dance. Here is a vid I did a ways back. http://youtu.be/NCFVsZaTjiA
If you do the tstat use the mopar coolant, and will need to burp the system, to get the air out. What model and engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. It's a 2006 SXT 3.5L V6. I guess the thermo may be stuck open. I took it for a little drive tonight and the temp gauge only went about half way to the normal running range. Once I do the replacement, will the computer clear the code on it's own or will I have to do something to clear it?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Thank you for the reply. It's a 2006 SXT 3.5L V6. I guess the thermo may be stuck open. I took it for a little drive tonight and the temp gauge only went about half way to the normal running range. Once I do the replacement, will the computer clear the code on it's own or will I have to do something to clear it?
Make sure you bleed the system of air completely (using the bleeder valve) . The Code will clear after a drive cycle (50-100 miles) if everything is good. You can clear it manually by pulling fuse #11 under the hood for a few seconds.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Yup what he said^^^^ make sure u bleed it!
U can also disconnect the batt for a little to clear , but fuse 11 in the front should do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts