Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to? When to? Best stuff to use. Mine is looking rough

The outside is something of a masterpiece but under the hood, looks like Quentin Tarantino got ahead of him self.

My favorite animal is a Ribeye -Fran Lebowitz

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Pretty easy if its dusty and has the typical leaves,twigs, dirt, etc....Just cover the fuse box area and take a pressure washer to it. Let it dry and start wiping all the corners. If it's greasy and oily then you'll have to just spend a day cleaning with a tooth brush and wrags. Prepare for some cut up hands. There's no easy way to clean a dirty engine bay.

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
Use a mild degreaser on everything except the alternator, filters and PCM and let it sit for a minute. Now rinse everything with a low pressure hose stream. It's worked well for me.

Not bad for a 7+ year old engine bay.

5 years ago -

4 years ago -

Now -

·
I am a computer.
5,685 Posts
I use a method taught to me by bookeen, CM.com's car detailing expert. I have to admit, I was very scared of this procedure at first but I have done it several times with great results and no problems.

bookeem said:
hey whats up buddy, life ugh always unfair to me, lol

as for the engine bay detailing..

get a bottle of spray nine, home depot, autozone usually carries it, dump half the bottle out into another bottle to be saved ..mix water with the remaining half of spray nine in the bottle..

get out the power washer, or go the self service car washes..

cover your intake filter(its all i normally cover)

with no pressure, dont squeeze the trigger, lol, mist the engine bay down, then take the spray nine and spray the engine bay with it, if it gets on the exterior paint, like the fenders, dont let it sit and dry, let the spray nine sit for a good 5 mintues, then rinse it, this time u want pressure, just dont put it close to the engine bay, keep the water stream a good 3 feet away while rinsing, back and forth like a faning motion, u can get the stream of water closer if u need to to blast away the dirt and soap suds, just dont soak any areas near electric units, and around the alt, serpentine belt pullies etc, once its rinsed try to blow out as much water as u can, with either air pressure, leaf blower etc, start the car up, take it for a lil cruise to let the engine heat dry up everything else..

pop the hood and use some megs natural shine protectant, spray the bay down, let it marinate for 20 minutes to half hour, then go back and wipe the excess off, or untill its at hte shine u want, i like a clean look not a real shiny greasy look so i rub most of it in, or off areas that doesnt soak it up..

and your set buddy..should look better than new..:beerchug:
Sorry, I can't resist.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use a method taught to me by bookeen, CM.com's car detailing expert. I have to admit, I was very scared of this procedure at first but I have done it several times with great results and no problems.

Sorry, I can't resist.

Do you have a before and after?

My favorite animal is a Ribeye -Fran Lebowitz

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
I just use a damp rag after every car wash. At this point, it's pretty easy to keep clean. I cheated. LOL.

Sorry, I can't resist.

They both look very nice. I'd eat off those engines!

·
Video Game Modder
2,609 Posts
I just spray the engine down with simplegreen diluted 50/50 with water. Let it sit for a few minutes then hit the engine bay with the pressure washer and just don't hit the fuse box or air filter directly.

·
your my boy blue...
5,221 Posts

Sorry, I can't resist.

thanks buddy, that was quite a long time ago too, still the same applies, i just picked up a gallon of spray nine too, time to cut it and clean my calipers, interior, then lightly hose the engine bay down as its just a lil dusty...

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
To all with their engine "exposed", what do you use to shine the hoses (radiator, etc)?
Back to Black didn't last long for me.

I switched to Surf City Beyond Black which is better, but still does not last that long.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i have been detailing cars for a little over 8 years....i just spray some degreaser all over the engine(fuse box covered) and then let sit for about 3 minutes(engine cool) and the spray off with a pressure washer....then i follow with a rag to dry most of the water then spray some engine matte shine on it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts