Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 SE 2.7l all stock except for 20" rims about 97k mi

I noticed a "click" while backing out of my driveway a while back but couldn't, didn't want to, re-create it. But yesterday I made a tight u-turn and really noticed "clicking" in, where I believe to be, the front right of the car.(estimated clicked once per tire rotation) It doesn't do anything during normal driving, normal turns, u-turns across 3 lanes, still rides straight, no other noises,(except a random knocking in the dash from an A/C diverter I think) everything is fine. *knocks on wood*

I talked to a couple of people that all directed me to a CV joint, except I don't have any CV joints in the front-end. I was also suspecting the wheel bearing, except it's only noticeable when turning tightly. My friend said I should just drive til it breaks, but murphy loves to visit me when I'm broke, or 100 miles from home, so I'd rather not.

Also, can this job with basic tools, to include air tools, or will I need a shop? (assuming I, with your help, can pinpoint the issue)

Thanks for the time and wisdom.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
You are RWD. Only AWD cars have CV joints in the front. The bearings are sealed in the hubs. First thing you should do is check the dust cover for the front brakes. It's the metal plate or shield that sits behind the rotor. Sometimes that can be bent just enough to cause a clicking when the wheels are turning. It can be bent back out by hand.

The next thing you need to check is that the inside of the front wheel isn't rubbing on anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply.

Once I can get it in the air I will take a look, but it's more than a sound, I can feel it in wheel feedback and a slight movement of the car. It just seems bigger than that.

It also seems like it's worse when the wheel is to the left, not sure if that means anything.

·
//CMOM | Secret Agent//
3,243 Posts
I'd check the dust shields and also for contact at tight turns... also, check for contact while the car is on the ground, so that the suspension is compressed and you're getting a good look at what's really going on.

Can't say which tools you'll need until we know the cause of the clicking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I haven't done any repairs as of yet, but I did get it on a lift.
The shocks are worn and were "dancing", and a tie rod end is bad.

I will probably replace both shocks, and both tie rod ends, then see if that fixes it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts