Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is awesome! I found my way here because I need to replace the license plate light on my 2007 Magnum (got pulled over the other night for it). I found a thread that gives a short, sweet answer. I'll figure out the rest.

Anyway, I thought it was awesome that this entire website is dedicated to Dodge Magnums! I had to join! I'm a 27 year old who had no clue Dodge Magnums seem to garner a lot of attention and questions on the street. Here's a quick backstory. I have a 2007 Dodge Magnum SE. Yes, the one with the 2.7L V6. I had a guy just the other day ask, "Is it enough?". I can confirm that, no, it is not enough :'(

Anyway, back to the story. A few years ago, I blew the head gasket in my old car and they wanted $4k to rebuild the engine. No thanks! So after some looking I found this Magnum of mine and said, "Yep! Good enough, I need a car!" and bought it used from a dealership with about 72k miles on it. So this vehicle was an emergency buy. I am about to pay it off this March.

I lived in a small town in northern California at the time, so the car didn't get much exposure. Fast forward a few years and I am now living in the east bay area of California. I thought it was odd that I seem to get a fair amount of people asking questions if they catch me before I get into the car. I eventually caught on that Magnums are becoming more rare these days, and there are a few other Magnums that I see around the city quite frequently.

I have never met any of the folks that own these other Magnums, but we've given each other a wave occasionally as we drive by. I think it's cool having a car that allows me to have these little micro-bonding moments with people I have never met before hahaha. After I pay it off this March, I would like to start putting some more money into it. I have a much better paying job than when I first got the car, so it's easier and more realistic to put some money into it now. I never intended to keep it, what with it being an emergency buy and all, but now I think I've changed my mind.

My main qualm with it is that puny engine. It feels like the car is too heavy for that little v6. Can anyone else relate? Any suggestions?

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,574 Posts
Welcome from a six magnum family in North Carolina. We have 1 SRT, 4 RTs and 1 SXT.

Reactions: BBrown

·
Registered
65 Posts
You could swap in a 3.5v6, but I understand that those are also underpowered. I'm not sure how much work it would require, but my wife has a Grand Caravan with the 3.6 v6 that is the standard base motor in the new Chargers, Challengers, & 300. Our 2013 model is rated at 293 hp. I think the newer models are rated around 300-315hp. If you could find a complete car or an older rusted out model from the rust belt so that you got the newer trans with the ecm and get a new wiring harness I think you would like it. The 3.5 was put in cars from 2013 to the present, I think.

You could fit a v8 hemi, but I'm not sure the trans & rear end are strong enough to handle the power.

I think that if you want the Hemi power, you would be ahead to buy a clean used R/T or SRT. I found a clean 2006 Magnum R/T for $4,000.00 here in So Cal. It has 140,000 miles on it, but I understand that the 5.7 Hemis are good for 350,000 miles between rebuilds. I took it to my mechanic and had them go through it.

I had set aside $10,000.00 for the car and spent $4,000.00 on repairs that included new Rad. hoses (car had a new radiator) tune up, oil change, pulled pan off trans and inspected for metal (none found) new trans filter, shocks & struts, new fuel pumps. The mechanic sent the car down the street to a tire shop for alignment, they found it needed new ball joints and tie rod ends, so it went back to my mechanic's shop for a front end rebuild. 1 week after I got it back, I got a check engine light. Showed code for lean left bank. Mechanic found one o2 sensor bad, so I had him replace all 4. I treat o2 sensors like spark plugs, if one is bad replace all of them. The total cost of repairs came to @ $4,000.00. For $8,000.00 I've got a car that drives like new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome from a six magnum family in North Carolina. We have 1 SRT, 4 RTs and 1 SXT.
Thanks! How's it over there in NC? My girlfriend grew up in South Carolina. We're looking to move out to Memphis, TN sometime at the end of the year!

You could swap in a 3.5v6, but I understand that those are also underpowered. I'm not sure how much work it would require, but my wife has a Grand Caravan with the 3.6 v6 that is the standard base motor in the new Chargers, Challengers, & 300. Our 2013 model is rated at 293 hp. I think the newer models are rated around 300-315hp. If you could find a complete car or an older rusted out model from the rust belt so that you got the newer trans with the ecm and get a new wiring harness I think you would like it. The 3.5 was put in cars from 2013 to the present, I think.

You could fit a v8 hemi, but I'm not sure the trans & rear end are strong enough to handle the power.

I think that if you want the Hemi power, you would be ahead to buy a clean used R/T or SRT. I found a clean 2006 Magnum R/T for $4,000.00 here in So Cal. It has 140,000 miles on it, but I understand that the 5.7 Hemis are good for 350,000 miles between rebuilds. I took it to my mechanic and had them go through it.

I had set aside $10,000.00 for the car and spent $4,000.00 on repairs that included new Rad. hoses (car had a new radiator) tune up, oil change, pulled pan off trans and inspected for metal (none found) new trans filter, shocks & struts, new fuel pumps. The mechanic sent the car down the street to a tire shop for alignment, they found it needed new ball joints and tie rod ends, so it went back to my mechanic's shop for a front end rebuild. 1 week after I got it back, I got a check engine light. Showed code for lean left bank. Mechanic found one o2 sensor bad, so I had him replace all 4. I treat o2 sensors like spark plugs, if one is bad replace all of them. The total cost of repairs came to @ $4,000.00. For $8,000.00 I've got a car that drives like new.
Thanks for the advice Russ! That's exactly the kind of brainstorming I am looking for! That gives me some things to think about. I bought mine with about 70k-72k on it and it's got about 107k on it now. The passenger side of the front end has started making some "sounds". Squeaking/creaking sounds. I already had it looked at once and had the front suspension replaced and I forgot what else they recommended but had whatever it was replaced too, but either way, the gist is that it didn't fix the noise. It's pretty annoying because it's pretty audible both to passengers and anyone outside the car haha.

I don't want to be rolling around town sounding like the car is falling apart, you know? Haven't noticed any issues with steering or anything like that, it's just the sound of wear and tear. I need to find some time to get it in the shop and have them dig deep to find what's making the noise. I am thinking it might need a tune-up too. I've only done oil changes on it since I have had it. I haven't found a time to have a mechanic give it a good look. I suspect it's missing occasionally because sometimes when it's idling the RPMs will drop for a couple of seconds like it's struggling. Not all the time, but enough to be noticeable. Also sometimes when I accelerate, the acceleration doesn't match the amount of throttle I'm giving it and it also seems like it has trouble deciding whether to accelerate or not. It's almost as if I were to be pressing the gas pedal and letting off for a second then getting on the gas again, except I'm not moving my foot.

I don't know how else to explain it haha and, again, it's not all the time but it happens enough to be noticeable. I just think it needs a tune-up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is an article that I found on here after I posted the previous answer, but I can't find it again. It was written by an experienced automotive tech on the obdII electrical systems. He advises that there are something like 5 microprocessors on the new cars that all communicate with each other, and pulling a fuse cause a disruption in the communication that requires two complete drive cycles to reset everything. Before you try swapping a 3.6 into your car, you need to find out how much rewiring you will need to do. The 3.6 came out in 2013 I think, and is still the base engine, but I don't know how many changes in the various microprocessors have been made in the years since.

The 3.6 would be a sweet upgrade over the old 2.7 or 3.5, but you may need to rewire the entire car! I'm old school (at 73 74 next month I'm real OLD school). It looks like old school methods just don't work on cars built since the mid 1990's.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Look in the "Performance Talk" forum there is a discussion on swapping a 5.7 hemi into a 2.7 car. I have not had time to look over the rest of that section of the board to see if there are other threads that might help you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts