Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing a clunking noise in the car on the right side going over pot holes and so fourth,now i hear it on both sides..the clunk is annoyin..i took it to a front end shop and he said everything was tight..im reading other posts and people are saying sway bar bushings..which seems to be the cheaper way, and others are saying definitely tension struts..my question to that is "what are tension struts"? is it the struts itself..

thanks

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
I'd check the sway bar bushings and replace them if worn. They can cause clunking.

The diagram below shows the tension strut as #4.

The pics below that show the strut and a close up of the bushing that cracks, which can cause clunking. If it's cracked, you need to replace it/them. (one on each side)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have been hearing a clunking noise in the car on the right side going over pot holes and so fourth,now i hear it on both sides..the clunk is annoyin..i took it to a front end shop and he said everything was tight..im reading other posts and people are saying sway bar bushings..which seems to be the cheaper way, and others are saying definitely tension struts..my question to that is "what are tension struts"? is it the struts itself..

thanks
I recently replaced my sway bar bushings & it cured the clunking noise. That said, I too have a cracked tension strut bushing on my driver side (see pictures) but all is quiet right now. I am not sure how bad they have to be before making noise but I do intend on changing them soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sway bar bushings cured my "clunk"!
I too had split tension strut bushings with no noise from them. I have replaced them anyway.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would replace the Tension Struts if the rubber is like the picture up above, like FIREMAN mentioned. Go to www.rockauto.com and they are like $29-$45 each and they fixed my front end clunk. MEVOTECH is the brand that I have been using on all the front end ball joints and components. They are the mid price range and they come with grease zerts unlike the OEM parts. Good Luck with the fix.

P.S. Fireman knows all we all call him the MAGGIE GOD!!!.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I replaced my bushings and still have the clunks. My tension struts are just a little worn looking. Any idea what eles might cause the clunk?
magnum.JPG 05' R/T only one real mod(so far)-Brute Force Air Intake

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I had clanking too but I took mine in and they said it was upper control arms/upper ball joint got a pair off eBay for $95

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,571 Posts
I have already bought both inner and outter tie rod ends for both sides and also know the part shown in 5 & 6 of the drawing above is also bad.... still trying to figure out what that is called.... everyone keeps telling me something different and do NOT want to order the wrong part!!! Some have told me I can just order the bushing and some have told me I need the whole new part.... they called this part the Lower control arm ~ is that correct? I was then told this is called the tension strut....???? Also the arm shown in number 6 where the bushing is, is also "enlongated" from the bad bushing....so maybe the whole arm needs replacing. Also NO ONE has this part in stock around here....???

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have to replace my bushings too!! I'm glad that theres a ebay, because it could save u tons of money....... an I also heard that dodges is one of the wrost cars with front end problems...

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,571 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me tell you , if you ordered aftermarket bushings and they are not the right size the noise will still be there...apparently after market states 3 different sizes, i put a pair on and the noise went away for a day then it started clunking on both sides. so i went to the dealer and bought a pair and the noise went away, ...its been a couple of months now....hope this helps

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let me tell you , if you ordered aftermarket bushings and they are not the right size the noise will still be there...apparently after market states 3 different sizes, i put a pair on and the noise went away for a day then it started clunking on both sides. so i went to the dealer and bought a pair and the noise went away, ...its been a couple of months now....hope this helps
good luck

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,571 Posts
Just this morning I took BLUE to the alignment shop to install both inner and outter tie rods both sides and had ONE Tension Strut that the bushing was so bad, it had elongated the hole in the arm so I just bought the whole tension strut and then it will be aligned!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
well hears a question for all will this issue cause vibrations (kind of like the wheel is going to fall off) or is that something else?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts