Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
Anytime you have loose or worn suspension components, vibrations can be an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time post here.

I googled "front end noise dodge magnum" and this thread came up. I replaced my sway bar bushings with new ones from Moog. The ones I replaced weren't cracked, but severely warped. As you can see by the photo, the original's hole is oval shaped.

Whole install took 20mins and only required a 13mm for the sway bar bracket and a smaller socket (I forget the size) to remove the guard.

I no longer have any noise when I happen over a pothole or manhole cover. Not sure what caused the warping (maybe just normal wear?), but I will be taking it in for alignment just to be sure everything is in order.

! BEFORE PURCHASING REPLACEMENT BUSHINGS PLEASE READ THIS !
- My 06 R/T has the 1.06in thick sway bar, there is three sizes for magnums. 1in, 1.06, and 1.18.
I assume it's 1in for base/SXT models
1.06in for R/T and
1.18in for SRT8.

Be sure to buy the correct size bushings as there is three sizes - if you aren't sure measure the sway bar with a set of calipers(most auto stores have them to borrow).

Thank you to everyone in this thread! View attachment 42554

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 07 sxt i have replaced the upper and lower control arms the whole strut assembly still have the noise and vibration guess i will be replacing the bushings next. does anyone know what the correct diameter bushing that i need?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have been hearing a clunking noise in the car on the right side going over pot holes and so fourth,now i hear it on both sides..the clunk is annoyin..i took it to a front end shop and he said everything was tight..im reading other posts and people are saying sway bar bushings..which seems to be the cheaper way, and others are saying definitely tension struts..my question to that is "what are tension struts"? is it the struts itself..

How many miles on the car? I just had to replace my shocks,struts and the bushings were shredded. Clunking noise gone! LOL it only cost about $1100. Of course I had them lower it at the same time so that added about another $400 onto it! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
137000 miles I drive a lot lol... I am gonna order the bushings and the sway bar links I just need the correct diameter on the bushings.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
If it helps I have replaced my upper control arms twice since May (mevotech warranty....will NEVER use mevotech parts again btw), swaybar endlinks in May, inner & outter tie rod ends in early June, tension struts in September 2012 and again at the end of August this year (oddly enough they were mevotech), struts & shocks in September 2012 (only 25000kms on them), and all remaining bushings in April and I STILL have a clunking when I go over small bumps or manholes. To make it even wierder the clunk seems to be speed dependant with it being louder when moving slowly but feeling harder when travelling faster. At this stage the ONLY thing I can think of is a broken motor mount (REALLY hoping that isn't it) and I am actually going to the shop this afternoon for a full bumper to bumper inspection. Told the guy I want to know EVERYTHING that might be wrong with the car. Where does one start to look when EVERY moving part in the suspension have been replaced?

·
Registered
3 Posts
so far so good replaced the stabilizer links and bushings yesterday clunking noise has gone away. fyi the diameter of sway bar on a sxt is 1"

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have the 3.5L. I see rock auto on has raybestos brand bushings. I checked eBay and they have the moog ones, but the damn description doesn't even say what size they are or to which model magnum it fits. Can someone who has ordered these moog ones for sxt post the exact part number please?

I'm hoping this fixes my clunk on right side. I want to start simple/less costly first. If I replace these and clunk still there. Then I will move on. Will likely check tire for horizontal play to see if tire rods might be worn also. I'm pushing about 85,000 miles with nothing on suspension ever changed. Its about that time huh? Lol

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
just today im finally getting around to ordering new sway bar end link for right side. the moog problem solver one with grease fitting.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1377897

better late than never..lol hopefully this will fix my clunk sound as we nailed it to my right side being bad. checked it while raised in the air.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to this site, just thought I'd chime in. I had this same problem.......I bought my Magnum a few years ago used from a dealer. I also purchased an extended warranty for an extra few bucks added to the payment. I started hearing a lot of noise from the front over normal bumps in the road. I went back to the dealer one month shy of the warranty expiring, about 80K miles. They replace just about the whole front suspension, struts, control arms, ball-joints. All I paid was the $100 deductible!! The sway bar bushings were also shot, and for some weird reason that was NOT covered by the warranty, so I thought I would put them on myself. I got the cat back and the clunk was still there. I looked up the bushings and even the top of the line ones seen pretty cheap. It should be an easy fix (when the weather gets a little better!). Darkman

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to this site, just thought I'd chime in. I had this same problem.......I bought my Magnum a few years ago used from a dealer. I also purchased an extended warranty for an extra few bucks added to the payment. I started hearing a lot of noise from the front over normal bumps in the road. I went back to the dealer one month shy of the warranty expiring, about 80K miles. They replace just about the whole front suspension, struts, control arms, ball-joints. All I paid was the $100 deductible!! The sway bar bushings were also shot, and for some weird reason that was NOT covered by the warranty, so I thought I would put them on myself. I got the cat back and the clunk was still there. I looked up the bushings and even the top of the line ones seen pretty cheap. It should be an easy fix (when the weather gets a little better!). Darkman

·
Registered
1 Posts
So i have a 05 magnum rt awd. No checm engine lights on. When im driving down the road at any speed but a constant speed and i barely hit the gas to accelerate a little the car starts shaking. When it does that i just push thr peddle down farther and it goes away until i run a constant speed again and just ease in the gas. Anyone know what that could be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey fellas,

New to the site here myself; just bought a 2005 RT 5.7 about 2 months ago, and the car has just started making creaking/clunking noises in the front end. I just found this forum and thread during a search, so I'm going to do some checking this Tuesday afternoon when I get off of work, to see exactly what the problem's are.

Thanks for all the insight! :cool5:

Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an '07 Sxt ( 68,000 miles) with the chronic clunking in the front end that is driving me nuts. At 20,000 miles I had a nasty clunking noise in the front end when turning. Dealer replace inner and outer tie rods and steering rack under warranty and that fixed the issue. Now a clunk has developed in the left front that sounds as if the shock is loose. I replace the sway bar bushings and links with parts from RockAuto. Still clunking along. Inspection of the bushings at all other points has not revealed anything as of yet. As much as I like my car, I have never owned a vehicle that has had so many front end suspension issues. Couple that with a CEL for an O2 sensor .....don't get me started.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was coming home from work last night, when I heard a loud "pop" from the front end, and severe clunking when I turn left...I crawled under the ramped car this morning, to see this:

IMAG4358.jpg IMAG4359.jpg

Apparently, the top bolt of the sway bar bracket left town, causing the heat shield, bracket and bushing to swing down and dangle, almost falling out; I've got a set of Moog poly bushings I'm going to put in today.

I don't have any illusions that this will solve all my noise problems, but at least it will fix this catastrophic issue, lol.

Rob
Save

21 - 40 of 53 Posts