Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone reomved the side mouldings or the badges/emblems on their Magnums? Are they just some strong adhesive or are there holes behind them? Whats the best way to remove them? Take a piece of fishing line and heat up the emblem and carefully remove?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Removed mine the day after I got the Magnum. No holes, everything is held on with 3M type tape. I just took a small straight bladed screw driver and pried the end up and then pulled. Took goo-gone and cleaned up the goo. Then a coat of wax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
just get some dental floss, and saw it back and forward , it will cut right through the adhesive. All emblems and moldings are taped on, even the back one, no matter what it looks like. just roll the rest of the bulk of the adhesive with your thumb, then use some goo gone at the end to get off the rest. Remember to wash and wax when you are done.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just pulled em off. The pain under the side moldings was already showing bad signed of early dammage due to trapped moisture:

the ram head badges are the hardest to get off. I just peel then rub the gum off with my thumb. Ya don't wanna do more than one magnum per day this way. Water blisters blow.
I doubt any badges will cause dammage but I don't recomend anybody keeping these side moldings on their car. Door dings are cheaper to fix than rust and thats what thise fugly things promote.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i also used the flossing method to get my badges off...then used a little heat and a putty knife to slide em off...almost no goo left this way...what was left came of no prob

havent taken off the side molding yet...might do that if i paint the car

-todd-

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your brave trying with a putty knife, one little slip could have been bad news...

I did mine the same way grinner did and both of my thumbs were blistered.. there is a 3m wheel you can by from automotive supply shops that attaches to a drill and removes it with out damaging the paint or your thumb

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gumby said:
Your brave trying with a putty knife, one little slip could have been bad news...
i know what you're thinking, but it wasnt that bad...i only took off the little Hemi Badges and it was a piece of cake, i was just sharing my technique...and the putty/spackle flat knife really didnt seem like it was going to do any damage as long as i was careful...the heat was the key in my removal, made everything so much easier...if you are scared of heating it up, wait for a real hot day and they should come off nice and easy

my 2 cents

·
Registered
320 Posts
I used a plastic putty knife to get under the ram logo on the back. That one is on good and it was too dang cold to get my nutscratchers up under there well enough to get a snag goin. I did end up scratchin it a little. Bugged me till it was shaved and painted. On the other magnums I have shaved, I just used my finger tips. No worries that way. I never have used the dental floss/fishin line trick. Wish I would have known about it when I did mine... or back when I had a window tint/autographics shop.
I did use 3m's wheel for adhesive some but my thumb was always better and safer. I'm gonna have to invent a 3rd thumb... just a stock of rounded urithane that would buff the stickm off without scratching. I may have just discribed a tiny dildo but I think it'd sell.

·
Registered
160 Posts
grinner said:
just a stock of rounded urithane that would buff the stickm off without scratching. I may have just discribed a tiny dildo but I think it'd sell.
multi-purpose...heh

·
Go Dupont Racing!
33 Posts
My thumb didn't get blistered to bad, I had my son do one side and I did the other. Lots of goo-gone once the moulding is off. I hear 3m makes a automotive adhesive remover that works better than goo gone. I had to machine polish the side where the moulding was to get rid of line in the paint, I was real concerned at first, but after buying a porter cable polisher, bamm! no more lines and Manfred looks better than ever :)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
grinner said:
I'm gonna have to invent a 3rd thumb...
Dtnt you mean a 3M thumb hahah. I did the thumb method on the Ram truck I had on a hot day, with the addition of the heat from the friction of the glue and the hot car, thumb blistered bit time!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
heheeh yeah i rearranged my badges to ragnut but after a week i felt nutrag would be better LOL now i feel like taking off the back and the sides....

·
Major Mag Nut
4,140 Posts
Here are a couple of shots without the side molding and with the new grill. I also painted the fog light bezels and covered them with clear bra material.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts