Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Magnum, bought used, since early May 2006. I'm beginning to wonder if this car is going to nickel and dime us to death. I love the way it drives, the way it looks, it's a comfortable ride. But here's the list of issues we've had so far, tell me what you think.

1. Drivers side door, clearcoat is peeling badly.

2. The sunroof/door that closes inside, rattles like crazy on a bumpy road

3. There is a rattle of some sort when I hit certain bumps in the road, I thought it was loose metal, but had it to a garage and they told me the underside of the car has plastic protectors, he said he tightened them up, but the rattle is still there. I'm beginning to go crazy because I can't stand a car that rattles. Especially this one, it shouldn't go cruising through town, hit a bump and sound like bucket of bolts!! How embarrassing!!

4. The car wouldn't start for me today at work! I had to get to an appointment and it turned over, but wouldn't start. I got it to run for a second, then it quit. Finally it stayed running after I gave it the gas.

5. The visor clip broke when I tried to unclip it to move it around to the side (cost $2.85 to replace it).

I don't want to get rid of it, but geez, I don't have the money to keep taking it to a garage for this and that. The warranty we have is the powertrain, I didn't buy the one that covers every nut and bolt on the car.

Anyone think these issues are quite unusual for a car that's 1 year old?? and for one that is not abused??

Thanks!
 

·
VinylDecals.com
Joined
·
1,757 Posts
How many miles does it have on it? Do you have a carfax report? Was it a previous rental? Are you taking the car to dealer or your local mechanic?

It sounds like your car may have been in an accident prior to you owning it. Is it just the driver side door that is peeling? Maybe that door was repainted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
I'm sorry your having issues with your ride. What worries me is the clear coat and not starting. I would think that the clear coat would be an issue that Dodge would have to address but I don't know how things work with a used car. Same for starting issues. Still if your under the 3 year 30K it seems that something would have to give. Others may know the true answer but I thought that Dodge covered paint issues for 7 years after the problems they had in the past.

Dodge had issues with paint some years back and that is one thing that they do not want to come back on them.

The noise has to be fixable. It's just a matter of finding it. Still I know what you mean as far as driving a beautiful car and getting the looks and attention this ride seems to get and all of a sudden - rattle, rattle.

I have a 2005 and the only issue I have had is a front wheel bearing going out. I was going to take it back to Dodge but I found a bearing for 160 bucks and just changed it out myself. Otherwise I would have had to leave it for a couple of days. I do have the full covered extended warranty but figured that after driving it as hard as I have and almost 75K miles on it. 160 dollar issue was not worth complaining about.

I think it would be worth going to a Dodge dealer and checking on the paint issue for sure. I don't think you have a lemon as I have read and heard much worse from others in this site.

Just my opinion and good luck. The guys on this site are great and I'm sure you will be getting feedback and advice that will help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
steve said:
How many miles does it have on it? Do you have a carfax report? Was it a previous rental? Are you taking the car to dealer or your local mechanic?

It sounds like your car may have been in an accident prior to you owning it. Is it just the driver side door that is peeling? Maybe that door was repainted.
It has 37,000 miles on it. I understand it was owned by an individual and he bought the car at the same dealership I bought it from. I do know a deer hit it, by the car fax. I took it to our body shop and the guy said maybe the deer hit it on the drivers side door, but we don't know for sure. The dealer said they'd repaint the door for me, so luckily that's not going to cost me anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
peybella said:
I'm sorry your having issues with your ride. What worries me is the clear coat and not starting. I would think that the clear coat would be an issue that Dodge would have to address but I don't know how things work with a used car. Same for starting issues. Still if your under the 3 year 30K it seems that something would have to give. Others may know the true answer but I thought that Dodge covered paint issues for 7 years after the problems they had in the past.

Dodge had issues with paint some years back and that is one thing that they do not want to come back on them.

The noise has to be fixable. It's just a matter of finding it. Still I know what you mean as far as driving a beautiful car and getting the looks and attention this ride seems to get and all of a sudden - rattle, rattle.

I have a 2005 and the only issue I have had is a front wheel bearing going out. I was going to take it back to Dodge but I found a bearing for 160 bucks and just changed it out myself. Otherwise I would have had to leave it for a couple of days. I do have the full covered extended warranty but figured that after driving it as hard as I have and almost 75K miles on it. 160 dollar issue was not worth complaining about.

I think it would be worth going to a Dodge dealer and checking on the paint issue for sure. I don't think you have a lemon as I have read and heard much worse from others in this site.

Just my opinion and good luck. The guys on this site are great and I'm sure you will be getting feedback and advice that will help.
I was parked on an incline so the car was tilted to the left, I almost wondered if it was because of that? I'm out of the warranty period the dealer gives you for used cars and only have the powertrain left. We figured that would be the most expensive of repairs if either transmission or engine went.

It's hard because I went from a Chevy Lumina, a 98, which had no problems at all (best car I've ever owned), to owning this for 3 months and having these complaints on it. I think it's going to be a challenge to find the rattle. These dealers now only will let you leave the car with them and get to it sometime during the day and I have to work so I can't sit around and wait to take them for a ride.

My husband is saying he wants to trade and I'm almost wanting to agree with him. If we can get everything cleared up, I'll be very happy.

Since I'm taking it to have the door painted on Tuesday, I will ask the guy who sold me the car if he'll check out the rattle underneath.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Just thought of something and it may not mean anything so excuse the possibility of coming across as an idiot. (I'm not I promise)

Does your car have the standard stereo system? And is the noise coming from the right side of the car or sound like it's under the car, maybe around the front wheel? I ask because I had a severe noise coming from that area and found that the stock speaker had broken off of the mount and was bouncing and rolling around inside the door panel. I still had sound so it threw me off. The standard speakers are mounted with thin plastic pieces and after asking around I found that this was a common problem. Most folks upgrade the systems before they see this or purchase the upgraded system from the beginning. It gave me the excuse I needed (for my wife) to go ahead and upgrade my system. I just went too far and still made it to the dog house.

Just an idea.
Greg :eck15:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
trade it, for a new one!!!!!

I just briefly noted, that I had trans problems with my first 05 mag sxt. Lemons are out there, even in these beautiful cars most of us love as much as are old ladies, but arent willing to say that to thier faces. I hadnt even had my first one 3 weeks and it had shifting problems, they had if for a week, changed shift linkage or cable of some sort and thought that they had fixed it. Had the car back 3 days same problems not wanting to down shift and reving and jerking before it did down shift. Took it back, a period of 2 weeks went by with them trying to figure it out, during that time the changed the shift selenoid, pressure sensors, and plates. Got it back, took the shop manager with me to test drive, showing him I wasnt driving the piss out of the car. Finally it happens to me with him in the car. He says I noticed this car had previous trans work before you brought it to us, kinda funny I bought this car from your dealer ship, they got it from someone else. He clammed up, went back into the dealership and ordered a brand new trans for the car. During that time I fought with Chrysler about getting me a brand new car, the whole lemon law thing came into play,and they said unless it was a safety issue the werent going to replace the car. I drove it with the new trans a year and 2 months before we had any problems again. With in a matter of 4 months my car was into the shop 6 times with trans related problems. Codes galore so they had no excuses. 10way wiring harness, all the stuff that had been replace before as mentioned, replaced again. The last incident I had was safety related. I was leaving for work, running late as normal. Cruising about 70, and she down shifts into 2nd, and then revs to the point of red lining. When it down shifted I slammed into the steering wheel, smashed my glasses into the side of my head and gouged my thumb nail into the side of my cheek. Called the dealer told them where I was at, come get YOUR car, I called my attorney, and with in a week, and I bit of haggling they bought my sxt for 22,ooo, and stuck me in the 06 RT just to make me happy. I loved my sxt, I hated my car problems. I love my RT just as much but by the time of my first oil change on the sxt It had a new trans, and a bunch of new trans parts. Im almost due for the 2nd oil change on the RT, just breaking her in. Good luck on your indeavors with your car, there was my horror story with mine. It had 538 miles on it originally and was a demo. My new one had 23 miles when I bought it, and 15 of them I put on it as my test drive, I loved it so much I tried it again. Both of my cars are on my profile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
peybella said:
Just thought of something and it may not mean anything so excuse the possibility of coming across as an idiot. (I'm not I promise)

Does your car have the standard stereo system? And is the noise coming from the right side of the car or sound like it's under the car, maybe around the front wheel? I ask because I had a severe noise coming from that area and found that the stock speaker had broken off of the mount and was bouncing and rolling around inside the door panel. I still had sound so it threw me off. The standard speakers are mounted with thin plastic pieces and after asking around I found that this was a common problem. Most folks upgrade the systems before they see this or purchase the upgraded system from the beginning. It gave me the excuse I needed (for my wife) to go ahead and upgrade my system. I just went too far and still made it to the dog house.

Just an idea.
Thanks for the thought Greg. It's coming from the left front wheel area. I have to put my window down to hear it. I was beginning to wonder if it might have something to do with the strut or brakes being loose? I can hit a bump and not hear it, but if I run over a little subtle crack in the road, it does it. I think I said earlier, I went over railroad tracks last night and the sound was horrible. I highly doubt it's the plastic (or whatever material) shields that are under the car that are loose. It's got to be something else.

I wish I knew a car repairman personally that I could have drive it to hear it. Otherwise I might end up in the nuthouse by the time this car is paid for!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nomoralz said:
I just briefly noted, that I had trans problems with my first 05 mag sxt. Lemons are out there, even in these beautiful cars most of us love as much as are old ladies, but arent willing to say that to thier faces. I hadnt even had my first one 3 weeks and it had shifting problems, they had if for a week, changed shift linkage or cable of some sort and thought that they had fixed it. Had the car back 3 days same problems not wanting to down shift and reving and jerking before it did down shift. Took it back, a period of 2 weeks went by with them trying to figure it out, during that time the changed the shift selenoid, pressure sensors, and plates. Got it back, took the shop manager with me to test drive, showing him I wasnt driving the piss out of the car. Finally it happens to me with him in the car. He says I noticed this car had previous trans work before you brought it to us, kinda funny I bought this car from your dealer ship, they got it from someone else. He clammed up, went back into the dealership and ordered a brand new trans for the car. During that time I fought with Chrysler about getting me a brand new car, the whole lemon law thing came into play,and they said unless it was a safety issue the werent going to replace the car. I drove it with the new trans a year and 2 months before we had any problems again. With in a matter of 4 months my car was into the shop 6 times with trans related problems. Codes galore so they had no excuses. 10way wiring harness, all the stuff that had been replace before as mentioned, replaced again. The last incident I had was safety related. I was leaving for work, running late as normal. Cruising about 70, and she down shifts into 2nd, and then revs to the point of red lining. When it down shifted I slammed into the steering wheel, smashed my glasses into the side of my head and gouged my thumb nail into the side of my cheek. Called the dealer told them where I was at, come get YOUR car, I called my attorney, and with in a week, and I bit of haggling they bought my sxt for 22,ooo, and stuck me in the 06 RT just to make me happy. I loved my sxt, I hated my car problems. I love my RT just as much but by the time of my first oil change on the sxt It had a new trans, and a bunch of new trans parts. Im almost due for the 2nd oil change on the RT, just breaking her in. Good luck on your indeavors with your car, there was my horror story with mine. It had 538 miles on it originally and was a demo. My new one had 23 miles when I bought it, and 15 of them I put on it as my test drive, I loved it so much I tried it again. Both of my cars are on my profile.
Wow - you've had quite a time with your car!! I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience. Lucky you, an RT! I was thinking last night if we went to try and trade it, what the dealer would think of us trading a car we bought 3 months ago! What would we tell him? I'm always worried about stuff like that!

I was told by a salesman that the Magnums don't sell around here because they suck in the winter. He said they still have the 2 they originally ordered on the lot and I've seen them sitting in the same spot for at least 6 to 8 months!! I would love the red one, that color is sharp, but this dealer is way over priced. I paid 18,000 for mine, they want 24,000 for the same car!

I figure that we'll get the door painted because if we traded that would be a deduction in trade value and see what happens. Maybe they can find the rattle.

Thanks for sharing your story!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
hope the best for you

winter is bad on a rt hemi? ahahaha that just means we get better gas mileage, because the roads are all slick and we cant stick our foot into it, there for we arent consuming fuel. I live in Indiana, and last winter wasnt too bad, I really felt comfortable with the traction control in the car with my fiance driving, I thought it handled fine, but I was coming from driving a lowered 97 s10 pickup so anything was probably better. These Mags are the first chrysler/dodge vehicle I have ever known. I thought they were badass and had to have one, I have a new baby on the way and a 14 yr old son, I sure in the hell wasnt getting a mini van. Even with the bad taste in my mouth from the sxt, I didnt want anything else. I had to have another magnum.................check on mycarstats.com and see if you might be able to pinpoint some of your problems from others that people have had with the mags and 300s. I checked on there with stuff, just asking the dealer to check this and check that. Once again, hope the best for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that site, very interesting reading! I still don't know what we're going to do. I don't have time to go car shopping and a bit unsure if we traded what we'd get. My car is loaded to the hilt. Pearl white leather seats, both are power, sunroof, 6cd player etc. NADA says $17500.00 for trade in. Not sure how another dealer would look at it. I've never encountered this before.

Thanks again for all the replies!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top