Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I know, it's been a long time since I've been on here. So my wife normally drives Maggie and today I took Maggie to the store to get some groceries and I noticed something odd. When I shift into drive and go through all the gear changes its shifts fine (got her up to 70mph with no odd noises or shifts). When I come to a complete stop and then start to eccelerate it almost feels like the brakes are on and then once you get past 10-15mph it feels normal. When I put it in reverse it feels like the brakes are on as well and it's vert jerky. Once I got home, I checked to make sure the tires were spinning freely (no brake pad smell) and all was fine. I'm gonna take her into a local "reputable" transmission shop (not one that starts with "Aa" and ends with "mco"....totally got hosed by them on my Ram 2500 V10 4x4) and have them run a diagnostic and maybe a transmission service and if nothing turns up there, I'll try a brake shop. Anyone had any input or ideas on what it might be???? The transmission is the 4-Speed 42RLE and is married/coupled to the 2.7L V6.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Well, My first thought would be the transmission, I wouldn't think it'd be the brakes. Hopefully someone whos had this issue will chime in sometime soon

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Actually, you might have a brake caliper hanging up. Get the wheels off the ground and spin them. Apply the brakes and when releasing them, make sure the calipers release right away and aren't hanging up.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's not the brakes. I'm waiting on the transmission shop to call me back and let me know what's up. There telling me it could be anywhere from $1800 to $4000 for a new (rebuilt) transmission :-( The thing that really pisses me off is the fact Maggie doesn't even have 100K miles on her yet....she just turned over 85K.......is that normal to be doing a transmission change out this soon???

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got the final price back from the transmission shop and......$3500 later Maggie has a new transmission!! I called around to a few other local and non-local shops to see if that price was right and they all were pretty close to the same price. The dealership wanted over $5000.....not gonna happen!!! 1st gear and reverse was going out and there were some bad solenoids too. They went ahead and changed the torque converter as well. Lifetime warranty on there labor, parts and the transmission. Now I just have to find someway to pay off this bill since we had to put it on our only credit card that has a percentage rate of 16%......or I could rob a bank!!! Someday things will get better for us!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Oooooo...that is tough bro...Feeling the pain. With the suspension troubles I have been dealing with I know just where you are coming from. And it is NOT a fun place to be. And at 16% isn't that the bank robbing YOU??? lol

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here was/is the grand total of having the transmission rebuilt......I feel like throwing up!! Oh well it's done now. Had a broken snap ring in the low gears (1st and 2nd) and reverse, a bad bypass valve and solenoids. Maggie better not give me any more troubles for the next 100K miles cause she only has 85K miles on her and I've already had to replace the water pump ($1300) and transmission ($3300) all in the same year!!! Maybe I have a lemon.......lets hope not!!! ImageUploadedByAG Free1373502026.221227.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts