Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Had to reload pics due to moving. If you can't see the pics refresh(F5) and they should show back up.

OK finally got the kahunas to try it myself. Flush mounting the DVD's bezel in the stock bezel. Took me about 5 hours to get to this point, still have final filling, sanding and painting to do. Tools: dremel with cutoff disk, epoxy, spot putty filler and pad sander.

Premodified stock non-nav bezel

DVD's bezel to be flushed in with bottom trimmed to fit over the top of the A/C controls

DVD Bezel lined up for the cuts.

DVD Bezel superglued in, dang compuound curves.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First sanding with the "ears" expoxied in and controls for fit

Nasty gaps due to cutting a lil big and compound curves.

Remember the old school way of body working called "leading". Took some scrap plastic, lit it with a lighter and then pushed the melted plastic in to fill the gaps.

sanded after using plastic weld.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
And the state it is in now waiting for the spot putty filler to dry and the backside of the DVD bezel loaded with expoy on the backside for extra strength.

First 220 grit sanding

second putty fill

Day of final sandings and filling, going to use this textured black paint that I found at the local home center. After I find some filler primer that is plastic friendly. More to come!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
First coat of Krylon Fusion Textured Plastic Paint. Still shiny from being wet, dries matte. Hopefully wont screw up the final coat in the morning. Should have final pic noonish tommorrow.

·
Major Mag Nut
4,140 Posts
Looks great so far. Let us know how the paint worked out on the bezel, as I'd like to smooth and paint mine as well.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Final coat applied with A/C & top buttons attached. #1 trick make sure that you are 10-12" away (like instructions say haha) or the finish will be shiny!!

And drumroll please!!!!!!!!!!
Final result! (viewing Grinner's LX Vid of Course!!!!!)

Ashtray area don't match (to be fixed at a later time, tired of paint haha)

Have to trim the white support also

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Finally finished it off, and also did the instrument cluster rings and shifter rings and steering wheel spokes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
gettin rid of all the bling bling, check engine light is on. Looks good, I like the chrome dude dads.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I want to do the same thing, and just went and looked at my dash, it is perfectly square like your kenwood is now. Lucky me

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just a thought, wouldnt it have been easier to just get the piece from a magnum srt8 that way you didnt have to go through all that trouble. Good experience though!!!!!.02

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
twinturbo3150 said:
Just a thought, wouldnt it have been easier to just get the piece from a magnum srt8 that way you didnt have to go through all that trouble. Good experience though!!!!!.02
The NAV units are bigger than an aftermarket DVD HU. You would still need to get a ABS panel and blend it in. The easiest way is to use a stock Non-NAV and trim the opening on the bottom a lil bit. Then all you have to do is blend the half moons in. Probably can use the textured paint on top of the pattern on the stock bezel and it would cover up the pattern with the texture. I had already goofed up the bezel that I worked on, otherwise I would have done just that.

And if you get a painted bezel, then it be even faster. If I started with one of them, I could have been done in 1 day I bet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hey that looks great, im about to do mine and i was wondering how you got the face plate off the dash, im lookin around and i cant find screws or nothin'. plus what size screen is that you put in? also behind the plate is there a limit on space, becuase i want to put the biggest screen i can fit in there? thanks man, your dash is certified pimp!

·
Registered
793 Posts
smith_atc said:
hey that looks great, im about to do mine and i was wondering how you got the face plate off the dash, im lookin around and i cant find screws or nothin'. plus what size screen is that you put in? also behind the plate is there a limit on space, becuase i want to put the biggest screen i can fit in there? thanks man, your dash is certified pimp!
ake the top vents, turn them so that you can put your fingers on the bottom edge of the vents and give a lil pull, that will unsnap the clips holding the face plate to the dash...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
smith_atc said:
Its a Kenwood DDX7017 7", there is someone that is putting in a 10" I think, but thats gonna require abit of extra fab. Since I had the plain jane cd radio, there is a white plastic thing that hold the back of the radio for support. I did some trimming, but one from a NAV unit should be about the same size. I was just too lazy and cheap to go that route.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts