Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Magnum shuts off with little to no warning once every week and a half or so. It is usually when I am going slow making a turn such as in a parking lot. I will lose power steering and the car will not respond. Radio and AC remains on. The engine light came on once when this happened and the code signified EGR.

My question is, is this a common problem with these cars and will replacing the EGR valve fix it completely or is it possible the problem is rooted somewhere else?

Recent work done on the car is cam seal replaced, spark plugs replaced, transmission service, rear differential service, and water pump replacement. Also had the throttle body cleaned which was clogged pretty badly.

Any suggestions to make my car run more smoothly would be greatly appreciated. I love my magnum, just seems to be sluggish in more ways than one.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and one more thing. The car has idled funny from day one. Almost seems like it is struggling to maintain the correct rpm or something. I was told at the service shop it was normal... dont know if i believe that though

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I would replace that EGR valve I has a car that had a bad one once and it ran funny and died sometimes and it wouldn't idle right either!!!! I replaced it and it fixed all the problems so its worth a try!!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have this code 0406 some bout EGR valve. But funny thing, engine light is on all time only after I fill my tank on "unnamed" gas stations. When I use BP or other high quality russian's gas stations - it's gone. I wanted to replace EGR valve, but then found out from a guy here in Russia that it can be cleaned! That's right! Just buy new gaskets to replace old ones (they're cheap) and then remove your valve, wash with some special stuff (this guy used the liquid paint remover) and it should be as shiny as a new one.
BUT it was done on 3.5 and 2.7 engines and valves had NO damage at all, so I suggest you can try that before doing something expensive and see if it works.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you think it's the EGR valve, just replace it. They're only $30.00 - $35.00
Really? I've seen it for $70 on mopar store, those for $35 aren't original, but does it matter? Cause if it's all about $40 bucks than you're right, and he should just change it for new one

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Get the Airtex/wells EGR valve from Rockauto for $39.79 2005 DODGE MAGNUM SXT EGR Valve

It has a 12 mo. / 12000 mile warranty......Same as factory parts

·
Premium Member
18,999 Posts
Replace it..... worth the $$ in the long run... I had the same problems with a different car, cleaned it, ran a while then same problems... replaced it.... ran fine....I "believe" they get carboned up and will not close all the way causing changes in the vacuum in the intake system, making the engine rumble and sometimes die.... So, just spend the $$$ and not have any worries,, also, RockAuto is a GREAT company to deal with, never a problem...

·
Registered
474 Posts
I just had to buy a new EGR Valve for my car. Just have to put it in now....Hmm I spent $52 even with my friends business account. oh Well. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm going to replace mines just for the heck of it. How do I install it...or is it pretty self explanatory?

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
I bought an EGR for my 2005 Chrysler 300 and it didn't end up being the right one. I had to buy an EGR for a 2006 Chrysler 300 which was weird. Haven't put it in yet. so lets hope this part I have is actually correct. Mine came with Gaskets

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had to replace mine at around 60k miles.I heard the EGR valves only last between 30-60k miles.I got the chiltons book and seen how much it was a PITA to replace.I bought a new 1 for 35.00 and had the STEALERSHIP install it along with a few other things that needed to be done.

thanks
Pat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts