Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi again. since my last posts ive lowered my mag with eibach sport line springs front and rear. it looks sweet but the ride is horrible, very bouncy. i spoke to a guy at a dealership and he said that the SRT suspension would work on my 06 RT AWD. is this true? if so, i would like to do the swap. just seeing if anyone has heard of that or has done it. heres a few pics of during and after when i lowered it. oh and the wheels are red plasti-dip.

thanks
jamie

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Probably later than it needed to be but here is your answer. On the rear, yes the R/T and SRT and SXT use the same rear cradle and so on. The difference is in the springs and shock for ride height. In the front, not a chance. Totally different type of strut assembly between the AWD and the RWD cars. Their is a name for the types of struts, though I don't recall it at this time. Our AWD front strut rests in a sleeve and is clamped securely. The SRT and RWD cars use a strut that has the hardware welded to it and uses through bolts for securing.

I'd like to know who the guy at the dealership was that made that claim. Its a first I've ever heard in all my years of owning an LX.

But I'm with you, as of yesterday I dumped by Eibach springs because they don't ride worth a damn. I now role BC coilovers, something I just should have done to begin with. But like the saying goes: There is never enough time to do things right but there is always enough time to do things twice.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I don't have any issues with Eibachs on my AWD? I've been rolling with them for about two years now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't have any issues with Eibachs on my AWD? I've been rolling with them for about two years now.
I didn't have any issues with my springs... just my ride quality was horrible. Real eye opener was when I swapped to the complete coilover kit, of course it is all new though so it was to be expected. For a cost efficient means of lowering the car, the springs with the right shock and strut combo is not a bad way to go. The only issue I ran into was with the Koni STR.T Orange shocks. At least one of the two on the rears failed frequently, in about 20k mile intervals actually. Which is surprising because I am a daily driver and straight line weekend warrior. No autocross or otherwise to abuse the shock. That's going to change with the new coilover kit though. I'm going to put them through the paces at least once. Hopefully this year at MATS in the Hotchkis Challenge. I wanna see how my AWD pig handles that with the new 6.1... should be fun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe i just need to swap out the sport line for the pro kit. its the most aggressive drop they have. what kit do you guys have... the pro?

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,840 Posts
The reason you bounce too much is because you're using stock dampers. (shocks) What you need to do is install quality aftermarket dampers like Eibach Pro dampers. That will stop the bounce and stiffin the ride. There's a reason Eibach states on their site that dampers are required.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wrong springs

The reason you bounce too much is because you're using stock dampers. (shocks) What you need to do is install quality aftermarket dampers like Eibach Pro dampers. That will stop the bounce and stiffin the ride. There's a reason Eibach states on their site that dampers are required.
He doesn't even have AWD springs on the car. AWD springs are noted for use with OEM dampers. He has exceeded the range of the strut by using a RWD part, the dampers are bottoming out and forcing the car to recoil, not absorb... the same thing happens on the rear of the AWD when you try to use any other damper fitted for the AWD car except the stock (i.e. Monroe and so on), the OEM is the only OEM fitted AWD damper which has the extended stroke. Otherwise, you have to use a damper for an RWD or SRT platform. I.E. the best option on the rear of the AWD with the Eibach other than OEM, is the Koni STR Orange from an SRT. It allows full range of the spring with control.

His problem now becomes simple. There is no other damper available for the front of the AWD platform. The springs need to be changed. The AWD uses a different lower strut mount than the R/T and a different strut assembly in its entirety. The only other option in lowering the AWD is the BC Racing coilovers. No other manufacturer of coil overs even offer an AWD kit. Our AWD cars are the bastards of the bunch...

Right now, the springs on this car are a 2" drop from factory ride height of an RWD platform R/T. Which is about another 1" beyond that of the AWD platform pro kit... which, the only kit Eibach offers for the R/T AWD is the Eibach Pro-Kit, part number 2879.140, not 4.7328.

I've seen this before.

·
Registered
34 Posts
will the new dampers (shocks) work? and do they (eibach) make them for an AWD?
Hey bud, read my quote above about Fireman's comment. I have one questions for you.

Who sold you Eibach kit 4.7328????

Until recently, I've used Eibach kits for many years and never once have seen the Sportline advertised as fitting the AWD platform. I have however seen another incident just like this.......

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i told the guy at eibach it was for an AWD and he said they should be fine. maybe sit a little lower. yea... like an inch lower. he pro kit to me doesnt seem to be low enough. pics ive seen of people dont even look like theyve been dropped... coil overs or air bags i guess it is. i guess i could go with the sport line...

·
Registered
34 Posts
i told the guy at eibach it was for an AWD and he said they should be fine. maybe sit a little lower. yea... like an inch lower. he pro kit to me doesnt seem to be low enough. pics ive seen of people dont even look like theyve been dropped... coil overs or air bags i guess it is. i guess i could go with the sport line...
... I'm going to say things aren't right all the way around here. Eibach is not a company to normally suggest something not designed for proper fitment, it puts them (if you can prove it) into a a position of liability which they are not willing to accept.

I'll be blunt here, you are an AWD R/T vehicle. You don't have options, that many anyway... BC Racing is the only manufacturer of coil overs fitting the front of the AWD LX cars and the Eibach Pro Kit is the only spring kit which is designed for our cars. This has been an ongoing topic on LXF for years now because we AWD owners get frustrated because of the limited part options we have. You can do air bags as you mentioned and that takes care of all options available.

Our front strut assembly is entirely different than that of the RWD cars. Our spring perch on the front sits in a position different than that of the RWD cars to clear the wheel and drive components... which is partially to blame for your extremely low stance.

Sure, you may be able to cross reference parts until you find a damper that may fit the the AWD car, but it isn't suggested. The AWD uses a Clevis mounted to a lower control "A" arm, not a lower control "I" arm. We do not have stabalizer bars and as many components in the front suspension as the RWD car. The RWD car uses a strut which the mount to the control arm is a component of the strut, the strut also has a perch for the stabilizer link to be bolted to.

To see the differences, here is a link to the AWD diagram: Suspension, Front [AWD]. Fits: CHARGER | Mopar Parts

And here is a link to the RWD diagram: Suspension, Front-[RWD]. Fits: 2006 DODGE MAGNUM R/T RWD, 5.7L Hemi Multi Displacement, 5-Speed Automatic MB | Mopar Parts

I have an old set of Eibach Pro Kit springs just lying around. Of course, they are used and don't by any means look new but I'd part with them for cheap to help a guy out.

Keep us posted man!

·
Registered
2 Posts
... I'm going to say things aren't right all the way around here. Eibach is not a company to normally suggest something not designed for proper fitment, it puts them (if you can prove it) into a a position of liability which they are not willing to accept.

I'll be blunt here, you are an AWD R/T vehicle. You don't have options, that many anyway... BC Racing is the only manufacturer of coil overs fitting the front of the AWD LX cars and the Eibach Pro Kit is the only spring kit which is designed for our cars. This has been an ongoing topic on LXF for years now because we AWD owners get frustrated because of the limited part options we have. You can do air bags as you mentioned and that takes care of all options available.

Our front strut assembly is entirely different than that of the RWD cars. Our spring perch on the front sits in a position different than that of the RWD cars to clear the wheel and drive components... which is partially to blame for your extremely low stance.

Sure, you may be able to cross reference parts until you find a damper that may fit the the AWD car, but it isn't suggested. The AWD uses a Clevis mounted to a lower control "A" arm, not a lower control "I" arm. We do not have stabalizer bars and as many components in the front suspension as the RWD car. The RWD car uses a strut which the mount to the control arm is a component of the strut, the strut also has a perch for the stabilizer link to be bolted to.

To see the differences, here is a link to the AWD diagram: Suspension, Front [AWD]. Fits: CHARGER | Mopar Parts

And here is a link to the RWD diagram: Suspension, Front-[RWD]. Fits: 2006 DODGE MAGNUM R/T RWD, 5.7L Hemi Multi Displacement, 5-Speed Automatic MB | Mopar Parts

I have an old set of Eibach Pro Kit springs just lying around. Of course, they are used and don't by any means look new but I'd part with them for cheap to help a guy out.

Keep us posted man!

Very Helpful! I was wondering why I couldnt really find any options to upgrade and lower my suspension for my AWD RT Mag

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the info dude... its greatly appreciated!! this may be a dumb question, but has anybody fabbed up shocks to work for the AWD by putting the perch on a set of shocks for example eibach? not saying im gonna do it, just wondered if that was a possibility!

thanks again everybody!!

jamie

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jamie: in the pictures what springs and shock set up are you using?

All: I have the self leveling shocks in the rear, what cost effective shocks can I run front and rear to lower the AWD pig? If I go into AutoZone for shocks essentially what shocks should I ask for? Eibachs will just be a temporary drop for a year or so until I can save for BC's or bags. The Magnum isn't my daily driver either. Maybe 5000 miles a year max

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you!! i did but it was way to rough of a ride... the pics are with the sport line. you have a AWD? i noticed you have SRT wheels? very nice!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an awd but no SRT wheels. I wanted the 300 10 spokes, but found with our offset I can't use them and have them look right. I just got some 20's put on yesterday but not entirely happy with the offset. Going to wait and see what it looks like lowered

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts