Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am seriously looking to purchase a Magnum. I love the look, and the interior layout is great! One way of justifying the purchase is because of the gas milage. I am torn between the 2.7 liter or the larger 3.5 v-6. The 2.7 is rated for 2 extra mpg hwy. How long has this engine been out and how has it been holding up. I mainly owned gm's, and I know the 2.8 v6 was fair, but the 4.3 was a great engine. How about the larger v6, is it better or worse for long term use? I test drove the 3.5 and the power was decent. Is the 2.7 exceptable or is it not worth the extra mpg or 2 it is rated over the 3.5. What is everyone getting for fuel economy. I am most likely looking at used Magnums. Have any for sale near WI?

Thanks in advance for any input you might have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think Money is an issue, thats why He`s asking about the v6.
I have the 2.7....pretty peppy, but I would go with the 3.5 if I could do it over again.

Jim

·
Registered
98 Posts
3.5 all the way if your not gonna spring for the hemi

If you read my profile, Ive owned the sxt; and now own an rt. I could have kicked my self in the ass for not getting it the first time. If you can take the payment. Its worth it, with a few mods the gas mileage is fine. Even when you get on the 3.5 it will get crappy fuel mileage, and you will have to get on it alot more to even remotely have fun. Dont get me wrong its still quick, but Ive had my rt for a little over a month and I get the cheesy grin on my face every time I get in it. And you will get very sick of people asking dude does that have a Hemi. Good luck with which ever one you get, owning 2 of them so far I love it. I dont think I could spring for the srt8 with dizzmal mileage these guys are talking about on this forum.

·
Registered
531 Posts
It's all on what is necessary. I have the 2.7 and use the car for work. With several mods, I get 30 to 32 miles per gallon. Also, I put in an upgraded cold air intake, voltage reg, and upgraded performance chip and 20" high speeds. While a 3.5 will leave me behind a little at take off, I can keep up with it on top end. I recieved the last ticket I hope to ever get from going up against a 3.5 on the interstate. His car shut down due to the govenor or something and I kept on winding mine out. I don't know exactly how fast I was going as the S.O. tops at 145 and the car kept climing. It was great - the car squated and flew!!! (It reminded me of the autobon when I was in Germany.) Then the laser detector went off and blue lights. The officer agreed to lower the ticket to a speed where he didn't have to take the car (he said 162?) if I agreed to let him sit in it and look around. He had been looking to buy a Mangum and finally did. (He may be on this forum)

Just my input. Regards to everyone.

·
Registered
531 Posts
By the way - I have 80K on the car, the engine still sounds great and have never had a problem. (knock on wood) I use senthetic oil a flush regularly. I am a believer in that if you take care of the car it will last a good long while. As far as I'm concerned, 80K is just now breaking in.

Regards to all,

Greg

·
VinylDecals.com
1,757 Posts
peybella said:
It's all on what is necessary. I have the 2.7 and use the car for work. With several mods, I get 30 to 32 miles per gallon. Also, I put in an upgraded cold air intake, voltage reg, and upgraded performance chip and 20" high speeds. While a 3.5 will leave me behind a little at take off, I can keep up with it on top end. I recieved the last ticket I hope to ever get from going up against a 3.5 on the interstate. His car shut down due to the govenor or something and I kept on winding mine out. I don't know exactly how fast I was going as the S.O. tops at 145 and the car kept climing. It was great - the car squated and flew!!! (It reminded me of the autobon when I was in Germany.) Then the laser detector went off and blue lights. The officer agreed to lower the ticket to a speed where he didn't have to take the car (he said 162?) if I agreed to let him sit in it and look around. He had been looking to buy a Mangum and finally did. (He may be on this forum)

Just my input. Regards to everyone.
Are you talking MPH? I know anything over 109 here in California is straight to jail do not pass go.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I am talking about MPH. When the officer pulled me over I just knew that to jail I was going. A 42 year old man going to jail for speeding would not have been a good thing. The officer was a city cop and did not call in my registered speed. At first he was pretty POed but as we talked and after checking my record to see that I had not received a ticket in 20 years as well as searching my car, he lightened up. I assure you that if it had been a State officer or Sheriff I would not have my car and would probably be under the jail. It taught me a lesson and I'll never do it again. And just for the record, it was on I 85 in the back woods of Georgia, It was a section of road that was straight and clear, there was no one on the road and I do admit that it was a stupid thing to do no matter the circumstances. My point was to mention the possibilities of the 2.7 and not to brag about the situation. My apologies! TMI i guess.

Greg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well it's like this....do you want more H.P. or $ in pocket

Ozzy, we bought our new 2006 2.7 V6 magnum inferno red, dark factory tint in april for $17,999 with $1,000 rebate from Towbin dodge in las vegas NV and paid it off the next month. If you want to buy used these 2.7 mags are going for what we paid new, so becareful. My buddy in Calif has a 06 SRT-8 mag, he traded in his 05 R/T mag for it, I drove both cars and the ride in our :cool30: V6 mag is better! Performance is better in the V8 of course but Hey, are you speed racer?, or do you want a Badass looking ride to get you down the road? We get a constant 27+ in mileage with the A/C on. We bought some new take off R/T rims and tires that bolt on and we're going to put dual pipes on and Presto!, R/T clone. I don't know how much bread you have to play with, but for me the 2.7 V6 is the way to go! Look at the engine bay, V6 Hemi!, at a hell of a lot less money. Anyway, we're saving our hard earned cash for the 2008 challenger Hemi - 500 ponys that will blow away any of these station wagons ( the Magnum's the wifes ride ) Good luck! Pablo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Peybella,
Could you please ellaborate on your engine mods?
I am an Amsoil dealer in CA, Just got my Magnum SE last Monday.
It was a rental return, and in excellent condition. I am changing the oil this weekend to our series 2000 0/w30, and expect to post the mileage benifits later this month. My 86 4wd Suburban gets 21 Hwy Mpg with the stuff,along with a carburetor to EFI conversion, so I cant wait to see what it does in the Magnum.
I have also been searching for headers and other upgrades, but no luck. I was thinking that if the 3.5 and 2.7 are the same block, we could benifit from any 3.5 mods that are on their way.
Jim

·
Registered
531 Posts
Jim

Let me get my list together and I will post brand names, oil specifics and everything I did and do to the MAG. (I did a lot.) I consult for Belzona and drive pretty much everywhere. While I take care of the Mag the best I can, I do drive it hard and long. I'm installing my RAM office center in the car today and will have everything I can get for you ASAP. I would be interested in how the series 2000 works for you.

Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks,

Thanks for all the input. I also checked with the local dodge dealers. The 3.5 has been around for a long time and has a pretty good reputation. The 2.9 is better on gas, but the 5.7 is a blast to drive. This is my solution to not having to get a mini van, getting good milage, and looking cool in the process, I will most likely keep it well into the 100,000 mile range, if I can convince my wife it is the car to get. She still looks at it and sees a station wagon. :fing07: I thought I had her convinced, but now she is back on the fence. She likes the way it drives, however. If it were up to me, I would own one already!!

Thanks again

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ozzy,
Just tell her its on a mercedes chassis, maybe that`ll help!
Peybella,
I`ll definately let you know about the oil..I`m sure there will be a reportable difference, as the case before. The series 2000 has a suggested drain interval of 35,000 miles, just change the Amsoil filter every 12,500 miles or 6 months.
The oil in the Suburban gets drained every 25,000 miles, and there is no sludge build up, the oil does not burn...engine internals look practically new, and I save a heck of a lot of money to boot! My pops used the stuff before me, and I have been carrying on the "Tradition",....I like it so much, I became a dealer!
ozzy said:
Thanks for all the input. I also checked with the local dodge dealers. The 3.5 has been around for a long time and has a pretty good reputation. The 2.9 is better on gas, but the 5.7 is a blast to drive. This is my solution to not having to get a mini van, getting good milage, and looking cool in the process, I will most likely keep it well into the 100,000 mile range, if I can convince my wife it is the car to get. She still looks at it and sees a station wagon. :fing07: I thought I had her convinced, but now she is back on the fence. She likes the way it drives, however. If it were up to me, I would own one already!!

Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts