Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Magnum (2.7L V6) and just recently the engine overheated with all required maintenance. The engine lost oil pressure over heated and burned the oil up all in like 10-15 Mins. I need to swap my engine since they said that this cannot be fixed/re-built. My question: 1)Has anyone else seen this before? (Another Magnum 05 SE had same problem at same mechanic) 2) Can I upgrade to a bigger motor? (will it Fit/be feasible) 3) Should I keep the car with this trouble or try to get rid of it?

Thank you all in advance

J

·
Premium Member
14,795 Posts
You can upgrade to any of the bigger engines, just depends on how much money and work you want to throw down. A 3.5 swap is fairly simple, the 5.7 and 6.1 swap will cost a lot more. With a 3.5 swap, you won't have to change your tranny either. The hemis won't bolt to the 4 speed.

·
My Magnum is Bigger!
1,562 Posts
Yes! I've heard of this issue before.. Over heating and killing the engine.. If your magnum overheats or gets close to it, shut it down and get towed asap..

On the swap.. It's really depends how much you're willing to spend. A 2.7 magnum with a blown motor just sold on ebay for 2700.. It also depends on your location. On the low side, you could swap a hemi in for about 7K. That's including used engine and trans, and maybe half that to go with a 3.5..

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'd say go for a 3.5 for the gas and cheaper to swap and faster then a 2.7

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Super charge the 3.5 lol ull be faster then stock srts with the right tune and I've srt's a run for there money lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for the imput Fellas. @Skinn this all happened within like 2 Miles. Got it towed to a Mechanic near by for a look and it had completely burned through a Full Synthetic Oil Change (that was 2-3 weeks old) in a matter of 15 mins. They said that they had a similar problem with the 2.7 in another magnum. I would love to keep the vehilce, but dont want to have this same problem later on again ya know....

Thanks again....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts