Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ran into some engine problems w/ my 05 r/t mag this weekend.

put a new stereo in on friday, so i had the battery disconnected and reconnected a few times. buttoned it up, stereo worked great, all good, called it a day.

came out the next day to head over to my girlfriends and it started actin up. i started it and it fired right away but was idling really rough, just lumpin away like a top fuel dragster or something (the only time it ever idled like that was when i installed my predator tune for the first time, if you have an 05 mag you know what im talkin about). it was idling so rough it just stalled out and died. i tried to start it again, it fired but died as soon as i let off the gas.

then it gave me the low oil dash light, checked it, it was low but it was also parked on my rather steep driveway. so i put a couple courts in, the dip looked good. tried to start it and the same thing happened. ok maybe it was havin trouble w oil pickup because of the slope. put it in neutral and rolled it down the driveway to the flat. no start and still the oil light!

then i tried givin it a little more gas while tryin to start, this worked until i let off then it went back into the rough lumpy idle......but kept running. then it slowly strarted to mellow out and run better. let it sit for a while to let it warm up a bit, it was all good. turned it off and started it again and its runnin fine now......w/ no lights or codes

ive heard lots of talk of bent valves and crazy stuff happening out of the blue w the mags, this isnt a precursor to the big one is it?!!!!! please if anyone has any info, let me know!!!

thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey bro had the same issue with my 300c it's you crankshaft sensor mine did same it would stall then oil light then wouldn't turn over then it would start very ruff it's your sensor for sure :) it's a early sign that it's going soon it will give u a engine light CRANK POSITION SENSOR

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
What's up Zach, glad the new radio worked out for you. Typically if it is a sensor you will get an engine code, use your predator to check for any codes or do the key dance and see what you get. It should throw the crank shaft position error if so. Mine went out on me around 60k, it would happen during acceleration then go into limp mode then act fine, just sporatic. Sensor isn't that much if you do it yourself but I believe it's a cople hundred to have the dealer do it as most things are. The other sensor that typically goes bad next is the oil pressure sensor, this went out around 70k on mine. It's pretty easy to get to and change out yourself.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive had problems in the past w the crankshaft sensor i believe. had it happen twice when i would drop down to second and gun it......car didnt like it. went into limp home mode but after i turned it off and let it sit for a bit.... it reset itself or something. no problem since.

im at 80 k now and im thinkin the oil pressure sensor could be it. its odd that its throwing lights then its fine.....makes me think its just a sensor goin out. i checked w the predator but i wasnt pickin up it for some reason but then i shut it off and started it again and the light was back! cars are too damn smart for their own good. thanks for the help brock! i have some stuff to work w now when i go in to the dealership for battle. thanks man!

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just wanted to give everyone an update just in case it happens to you but i got it figured out, with the help of everyone from the forums.

the cause of the problem was disconnecting and reconnecting the battery multiple times. I guess every time you disconnect the battery the car has to "re-adapt" and learn the proper idle settings. so every time i reconnected the battery without starting the car it was just compounding the problem. dodge actually recommends letting the car idle for a while every time you disconnect the battery, who knew? actually..... MeanGreen, a member here on custom mags knew about it and was kind enough to clue me in on it.

so let that thing idle for a min or two when you reconnect that battery!

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,574 Posts
So glad you got it figured out and corrected. After cleaning the throttle body on both of our every day drivers CHANCE & BLUE, both cars were skipping, snorting and running rough. From LX forums I heard about this reset procedure; with the key off, push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and let off slowly. Did this to both cars and they run GREAT now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts