Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I love this forum. Im new here and new to the magnum scene but here goes. I recently bought an 08 magnum SE and Im not happy with the power. I know, I "shoulda bought a hemi" but for 8 grand and only 42k miles, I think I got a helluva deal. Anyway, a friend of mine wrecked his 07 srt8 charger and wants to sell me the engine and tranny. Is it possible to go from the 2.7 to the 6.1 without too many hick ups? Please help...

·
where's my airbrush??
14,795 Posts
there is a ton of work involved, and big expenses. You will end up with an overpowered under-optioned car, ie no brembos to help stop all that power, and no suspension to help you enjoy the track-ability of it. You would be better off selling your mag, and trading up to an R/t. You can get a decent miles r/t for around 12-15K now, and have a car that was meant to have that much power.

if your set on the swap though, talk to Nyinstaller like prospector said, hes the only one around here whos done it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So do you think I should sell the 6.1 and buy the 3.5 and trick it out? I don't need 500 horses. My impala does that for me. I just want it faster. I always wanted a magnum and just jumped on this one because it was such a steal

·
where's my airbrush??
14,795 Posts
you definitely got a deal, no denying that. There are very few performance upgrades for the SE, besides exhaust and intakes. You can swap the 3.5 into the se MUCH easier than the 6.1, no doubt. And, with a 3.5, you can do superchargers, hell intertia motorsports is even making a stroked 3.5 now

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Personally I'm a Sucker for Punishment.... Had you said your friend wrecked his SRT8 Charger, and was offering you the whole thing to buy cheap, I would say Hell Yeah Jump in and have fun with the swap.... The swap would be every freaking thing from the Charger, replacing all of the 2.7 pieces(Engine/Trans/Rearend/Wiring Harness/Computers/Suspension/Brakes)...

Since you say it is just the engine and trans, then yeah GK is right, and you should go with a 3.5..... Although since he's offering the Trans too(Get the Trans Harness, and Trans Control Module), I would take the NAG1 5spd, and Piggyback it to whatever 3.5 your going with.... I already have a 3.5, and the same crummy 4spd as you, so trust me when I say ditch that 4spd like a bad habit!!! As soon as I get the cash for it, that is the first large Mod I plan on doing..... Really would've liked it to have gone out while I was in between Warranties, but ofcourse I wasn't so Lucky.... Now, I got to hope that it will grenade soon, and I can slip one of My Brother's Work Tech Guy a few bones to have him slide an AWD 3.5 NAG1 replacement in there:drive:

Oh and Welcome To The Family My '08 Brotha From Anotha Motha! :alcoholic:

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
As someone that's done the math on the cost of the swap, if you plan on keeping the car for a while, you will make money in the end. What you'll hear:

- What about the seats?
- What about the brakes?
- What about the suspension?
- What about the (fill in the blank)....

From conversations that nyinstaller and I have had as well as injecting a little bit of reality, I'll say this. Regardless of engine, we will all upgrade the brakes, suspension and etc. at some time or another. At 42k miles on your car, you're probably due soon for a brake job. Soooooo.....here's an order of progression that I'd consider:

- Wheels/tires
- Suspension/brakes
- Above being done at the same time as the motor swap
(and since you have the whole car...odds are you can salvage many of the parts off of it)

Since the tranny is good on the SRT, you'll definitely need it as I don't believe on the 2.7 you have the 5 speed. I could be wrong, but my 3.5 does have it and so all I need is the engine. After that, you need the front drive shaft, ECM and get a universal transmission mount.

Contact nyinstaller and he'll answer EVERY question you have.

So...long story short, get the SRT to scavenge parts from and then sell the rest of it off to a salvage yard for whatever they'll buy it for to make it go away.

It's totally do-able and it IS cheaper than buying a SRT.

Rich

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,574 Posts
there is a ton of work involved, and big expenses. You will end up with an overpowered under-optioned car, ie no brembos to help stop all that power, and no suspension to help you enjoy the track-ability of it. You would be better off selling your mag, and trading up to an R/t. You can get a decent miles r/t for around 12-15K now, and have a car that was meant to have that much power.

if your set on the swap though, talk to Nyinstaller like prospector said, hes the only one around here whos done it!
^^ True that! ^^

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Another option too is dropping in an Inertia V6 Stroker motor, but again...since you have a donor car there's absolutely no reason to not scavenge what you need off it to do your swap.

Rich

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. After consulting with nyinstaller, Im gonna do the 3.5. Although it would be cheaper than buying an srt8 magnum, I figure it would make more sense and be more practical to do the 3.5. any ideas where to shop?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
On a 3.5L engine, if you give me about a year (and change) I know a 3.5L engine, very well taken care of that will be available from an '07 SXT.

Other than that, if you're going for a motor swap, just buy the stroker motor from Inertia Motorsports and be done with it. I think you'll have the first one in a Magnum.

Rich

Edited to clarify: if you're going with a 3.5L motor, get the V6 Stroker from Inertia....

·
Fab HO
1,015 Posts
I think he has a thead..I will look for some more updated pics

1 - 20 of 40 Posts