Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the SE edition, it comes with a single exhaust. I was wondering if somebody make a Dual kit for the SE? I know I could probably put it on a rack take a look at it and make a Y bracket myself, but if there is a Cat-Back system for it I would rather go that route.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
My local dodge dealer had a charger in the exhust shop doing that when i had mine done. Guy said shop was half the cost of the "kit".

Me I like shops very local if you need help or have a prob.

·
Registered
320 Posts
there are no kits as such, as far as I know.
Any muffler shop can split it off and add the tips of your choice though. Won't be true duel exhaust but it'll sound cool.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I might just have a Y bracket made and go that route. I'm still debating though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the sxt and se use the same kit and they do have duals for it... From what I have heard with duals you lose to much back pressure and lose power on the se

Not sure it has any to spare so I would stick to the single

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Gumby said:
the sxt and se use the same kit and they do have duals for it... From what I have heard with duals you lose to much back pressure and lose power on the se

Not sure it has any to spare so I would stick to the single
Exactly, with the upgraded (free flowing) muffler, I noticed a lil drop in the off the line, but winds up great. Of course the 3.5 is a high rev engine design.

·
Registered
21 Posts
HEy Guys,
The 2.7 is TRUE duals, going into 1 muffler from the factory. The shops can cut ahead of the factory y pipe and instal a true dual system, but you may want a crossover or an x-pipe to balance the sound out.
-Jim

·
Registered
531 Posts
Jim and all

I did see that the 2.7 is basically a dual set up with a V. However, I was wondering how installing a dual system may effect the compression (hurt or help.) I would think it would help and installed correctly would give a nice sound. Also, do you know how to get a heat sheald pad for the gas tank side that will have the muffler up against it?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Greg,
The muffler shop should be able to help you with the heat sheild, or, you could get the foil backed padding from Jegs, and stick it to the gas tank with some 3M 77 spray.
Also, FYI, I have been reading that the dual exhaust and CAI`s have a reverse effect, unless you get the jet chip for your ECM, as stock perameters are less than accomodating for the slight mods. I am trying to find out if the jet chip is available for the 2.7....all their site says is for the 3.5.
Also trying to find out how similar the engine blocks are, so that if anything like headers come out for the 3.5, us 2.7 owners could take advantage as well.
-Jim

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Mopar/borla kit is the Bomb!

I just installed the Mopar/borla kit#82209611 on our 2.7 magnum myself yesterday and other than the stock Y pipe being a pain in the ass to slide off head pipes ( 1 hour to just get the pipes apart! ), all went easy! The stock head pipes are exactly the same size on the 2.7 motor as the 3.5 motor so all fit perfect! Head pipe is about 2.50", after Y pipe and new main stainless muffler, pipe narrows down to about 2.25", so you get your exhaust backpressure again! Our car hauls ass better than before, and the sound is great at idle or full throttle, I'll check mileage as we go along, but I don't see anything wrong with this system being put on the 2.7's instead of 3.5 motor. We dig it! If you don't want to bust your ass, pay your muffler shop the $100 to install the kit, but do the rear facia cut-out for new pipe yourself. Paul/Pablo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greg,
Don't think you can change the compression with Exhaust that is a constant, but its just like the high speed Karts I run or a Sprint car header. The length and or DIA of the pipe will cause a different pulse (back pressure) as it leaves the exhuast therefore changing torque. You can do the same thing at the other end. (The induction system). ie. The shorter the collector the more torque you will have at a lower RPM. The more spacer between the induction system and the intake itself the more torque at a lower RPM.

Race On,
Kelso

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks Jay -

I'm going with Magnaflow's within the next couple of weeks. I will be doing the work myself as well. I have the system but live in a Condo and finding a place to do the work is difficult.

·
Registered
21 Posts
peybella said:
Jim and all

I did see that the 2.7 is basically a dual set up with a V. However, I was wondering how installing a dual system may effect the compression (hurt or help.) I would think it would help and installed correctly would give a nice sound. Also, do you know how to get a heat sheald pad for the gas tank side that will have the muffler up against it?

Thanks,

Greg
As long as you don`t "overpipe", I.e;use 2.5" pipe on both sides...you should be ok... I personally, of I was going to go dual on my SE, I would consider using 2" pipe.....But I am comming to the realization that all the bolt on mods you do for these v6 cars are just going to be for sound, as DCX has decided to taylor the PCM`s to counteract anything we do to enhance performance, and the jet chips dont sound like they are worth the $250 to 300 they want for them. With the money spent getting these cars to perform to the levels of the 3.5 even, you are looking at well over 10lbs. of boost from a turbo...and God knows how much $$$$...Unless you go with the bottle, but be careful!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an SE as well, with duals installed but lemme tell you, it's prolly THE least thing I like on my car. I just purchased this car used from a dealer, and the prev. owner removed the Y and stock muffler, installed dual glass packs, then performed the cut out for the left side. From the rear, looks cool but sounds like a damn tuned up Honda. It just sounds silly and is really loud inside of the car. Sounds like a Hemi when it's started, but sounds like a Tuner on the FWY.

I took the car to a shop, and they actually had a HEMI (Dual ports) muffler and were willing to remove the glass packs, and just install the muffler, clean up the setup, and charge me 300.00. I thought that was fairly expensive, so I passed.

Unforunately, last week my CAT Conv. and O2 Sensor went out, and had to have them serviced. I wonder if it's exhaust related? I noticed some of you guys talked about losing umph when going to dual. Could this be affecting me with my setup?

What I'd like to know, since I'm new to this car and don't know alot about what aftermarket systems are out there is:

What should replace those glass packs in order to allow me to keep the dual exhausts (considering the bumper's been cut) and quiet down my ride and not mess with the perf. of the engine / exhaust?

I'd truly appreicate the insight.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What I did was get rid of the y-pipe. Then I ran straight pipes back out the back. If you go on (cardomain.com) and in the search box type in magnumsrt6 you can look on my page and see how I did my exhaust.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts