Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mod Gnome Wrangler
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a Black Magnum sitting in a dealer's lot on the way home from an appointment this morning. Of course I had to pull in and check it out. 05 SXT, sunroof, nice 20's and metal flake paint. So a salesshark comes running out and I ask him basics then I ask him about the paint and he says "Huh?, What do you mean?"
It's a bright shiny day and you can see the flake glistening in the paint, so I walk closer to the car and show him the flake in the paint and ask if it's been repainted.
"No, that's factory paint, they ordered it that way"
I'm pretty sure they don't offer a metal flake paint out of the factory, am I wrong or was he just trying real hard?

·
Registered
543 Posts
well, my guess would be that either the first owners ordered it specifically with that paint or, yes, he's just trying real had. Anyone know all the colors of the '05s? I'm pretty sure that specific years have select colors.

·
Mod Gnome Wrangler
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'll be! Thanks y'all -- I owe the saleshark a mental apology (I most humbly and abjectly apologize) -- that paint looked so good I could not believe that it was factory! :223:

·
VinylDecals.com
1,758 Posts
Yeah in the right sunlight, it also almost looks like my car has a yellowish/golden pearl on it in addition to the metallic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
yea I have the 07 brilliant black and it has the metal flake in the paint...
Hate to burst your bubble but it isn't metal flake. The factory paint , called Brilliant Black pearl which is a metallic paint process and not a Pearl which takes special paint guns to apply the pearl, the metallic is put on like this.

After the primer coat is put on, any imperfections in the primer are removed/repaired; a Base coat of the color is applied, once dry it is inspected for flaws which are repaired as necessary, then the first clear coat is applied, in the clear coat they put gold, blue and silver metallic particles in it, after this is just about dry they apply a clear coat on without any of the metallics in it. On certain colors they mix a dye in the last clear coat, the 2 that I know of are the Inferno Red which has a very Small amount of red dye in it an the Black which has a small amount of black dye in it. The idea of the dye is it enhances the metallic particles.

This is from a relative that actually paints these at the Canadian factory.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble but it isn't metal flake. The factory paint , called Brilliant Black pearl which is a metallic paint process and not a Pearl which takes special paint guns to apply the pearl, the metallic is put on like this.

After the primer coat is put on, any imperfections in the primer are removed/repaired; a Base coat of the color is applied, once dry it is inspected for flaws which are repaired as necessary, then the first clear coat is applied, in the clear coat they put gold, blue and silver metallic particles in it, after this is just about dry they apply a clear coat on without any of the metallics in it. On certain colors they mix a dye in the last clear coat, the 2 that I know of are the Inferno Red which has a very Small amount of red dye in it an the Black which has a small amount of black dye in it. The idea of the dye is it enhances the metallic particles.

ok, it's black with what looks like flakes, but is apparently whatever the results of the process you mentioned renders...

·
Respect My Authoritah!
2,872 Posts

Same difference really..You said it yourself that is has colored metallic particles in it above. So in essence it is metal flakes in the paint aka metallic particles. No need to get technical, as it is what flakes look like in any other kinda of custom paint.

·
Registered
793 Posts

EXTERIOR COLOR SELECTION

Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat - No Charge

Thisis directly from dodge.com... It's BBCP..

And the "FLAKES" are actually ALREADY IN THE PAINT...will post pics of my touch-up paint and can of clear....the dealership sales when you ask for Touch-up paint in large size..

Then there's the pin, and it has "FLAKES IN THE PAINT"

Ask any body shop to order you BBCP Paint...Paint code is PXR and see for yourself.

·
Mod Gnome Wrangler
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yep seen one at the dealers here.wife fell in love with it I want that color she says.wonder how it would look two tone. That color and the silver I got.hmmmmmmmmmm
That would look outstanding! GO FOR IT! Now I'm thinking two-tone CV and metal black!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saw a Black Magnum sitting in a dealer's lot on the way home from an appointment this morning. Of course I had to pull in and check it out. 05 SXT, sunroof, nice 20's and metal flake paint. So a salesshark comes running out and I ask him basics then I ask him about the paint and he says "Huh?, What do you mean?"
It's a bright shiny day and you can see the flake glistening in the paint, so I walk closer to the car and show him the flake in the paint and ask if it's been repainted.
"No, that's factory paint, they ordered it that way"
I'm pretty sure they don't offer a metal flake paint out of the factory, am I wrong or was he just trying real hard?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts