Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (and gals),
I experienced my first issue with my Mag today... kinda baffled, maybe someone can help...
I was backing out of a spot at the bank this afternoon, shifted to drive and the car just died. Restarted the car and drove off fine. No CEL at any point, it just randomly shut down. Half tank of gas in the car, was backing up a small incline, but there are no other indications of issues. Not sure if i should be concerned or not.
I should add that my mag is an 06 5.7, 67k miles, completely stock.
Anyone heard of this or experienced anything like it?

Thanks, Dan.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
This was happening to me and my throttle body was just really dirty so you might want to check that too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does occasionally shake/hesitate some when sitting still. I assumed it was just part of owning a v8 since I've never owned one before lol. I only notice when parked and idling.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll start checking around the vacuum lines and the TB. Cleaning the TB is on my to-do list anyways...

·
Registered
235 Posts
The vacuum only rears its ugly head at low RPM's so it sounds like the TB.
There is horsepower shake and there is crappy idle shake. One of them is not so cool. LOL

·
Shaolin Ch'uan Fa
18,841 Posts
If it's an isolated occurrence, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can check for vacuum leaks or anything that may be obvious. Usually, you won't get a CEL (check engine light) until you have a second occurrence within a specified amount of time. If it happens again and you get a CEL, further investigation may be warranted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the car decided to *almost* stall again this morning. Got about 2 blocks from my house, was pulling away from a stop sign and there was no power at all and RPMs dropped. Hit the brakes before I was in the middle of the road and it came back up. I really don't know whats going on... looks like i'm pulling stuff apart tonight...

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I dislike not seeing the year and model of the vehicle on our posts.
On your 5.7, I'd check the TB first. Maybe seafoam the intake and install a catch can. Otherwise - open it up for a good uphill pull and blow out any oil in the intake.

PCV valve and vacuum lines would be suspect also.

When were the plugs changed? They were due at 30K.

A tank or two with a full system fuel additive that removes moisture may also help. Some say it's smoke and mirrors, but it's worked for me on other vehicles in the past.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dislike not seeing the year and model of the vehicle on our posts.
On your 5.7, I'd check the TB first. Maybe seafoam the intake and install a catch can. Otherwise - open it up for a good uphill pull and blow out any oil in the intake.

PCV valve and vacuum lines would be suspect also.

When were the plugs changed? They were due at 30K.

A tank or two with a full system fuel additive that removes moisture may also help. Some say it's smoke and mirrors, but it's worked for me on other vehicles in the past.
I did put the model and year in my first post... anyways... i am unsure about the plugs. I just bought the Mag a month ago, with 66k miles. There were quite a few records in with the manual, plus service records on the carfax, but i don't recall seeing plugs at all. 30k? That's ridiculously early, but if that's what Dodge called for, then that's what it is.

I did pull off the TB this morning and it was pretty caked with carbon. Cleaned it all up and it seems to be running a little smoother. No stalling, but that has been pretty sporadic so i don't think i can recreate it. Time will tell...

·
Registered
47 Posts
My baby started to stall after gas tank filling, also Check engine light would come on and off.
Replaced gas cap ($6 on ebay)and solved the problem (she also runs smoother). Apparently the valve in the gas cap goes bad (100K) and tank doesn't get pressurized.
Give it a shot, its a cheap possibility.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts