Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General question:

I have a 2005 Magnum SXT. I have noticed as I look to totally replace my rotors, brake calipers, and brake pads, that there are more than once choice for these items to pick from. I do know that whatever I have right now seem to be rough, and seem to "bump" when I brake on the road. Can any of you guys tell me which is the best Rotor size/quality, Brake pad size, quality, and Caliper size/quality to get for the front and the back end? Im not a performance driver, just a guy that wants to ride the magnum nice everyday but not have these issues with brakes and such. I look forward to the responses, Thanks!

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,413 Posts
Do the RT brake upgrade. R1 premium rotors, dual piston front calipers, RT front brake lines, and Posi Quiet pads. You can find used RT brake calipers on LX Forums pretty easily for cheap. The rear calipers and lines are the same on the SXT and RT. Just switch out the rotors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply FROST, forgive as I am still a newbie, but is R1 the brand name as well as Posi Quiet? just clarify this part for me please. Also, what are the cost ranges? and one more thing, right now I have the factory 18" magnum rim on the car, next summer I planned on putting on the 20" dodge challenger black factory rims. Will I have to again upgrade my roots and brake size since that is a bigger rim?

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,413 Posts
R1 Concepts and Posi Quiet are the brand names. You'll want their premium rotors cuz the regular ones will be covered in rust in no time. I had the standard ones and had to replace em after a year. The premiums I have now are 3 years old and still look good. I think I paid $300 ish for my rotors and pads. I bought the dual piston calipers on LX Forums for $100, but I've seen members sell for lower than that. Bought new, they're like $250 a piece. The brake lines are $25 each, give or take. You'll need at least 18" wheels to clear the bigger calipers, so you're good to go with that. Movin up to 20s won't be a problem. I did the RT brake upgrade with 22s and still noticed a huge performance upgrade. It's like night and day.

·
Premium Member
18,999 Posts
When you are ready to get the new rotors and pads (R1's) send me a message and I will see what I can do for you...

Glenn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oops, hey guys, I have one more question. If you don't mind, can you explain the whole difference between the slotted rotors or rotors with the holes in them, versus your regular solid faced rotors if that makes sense? do these slotted rotors last as long, and what are the benefits to having them?

·
Registered
628 Posts
The purpose for drilled and/or slotted rotors is to help dissipate the heat build up AND...
There is a SMALL "air layer" between the rotor and the pad.
The holes and slots eliminate this "air layer" which gives the brakes better "grip".

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If you want to do a brake up grade to r/t I have everything off my R/t because I just put SRT brakes on mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also if I can't find them from someone else, can any of you tell me which brands are good for the dual piston calipers of the conversion? is rock auto a good place to get these as well???

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I picked up a pair of reman powerstop calipers from rockauto last year and I am 100% happy with them. Price was great, quality was top notch and shipped fast. Still have my old ones and have been debating if I am going ot rebuild them myself or not. The passenger side caliper rear piston is a bit sticky and so doesn't pull back in when you let off the brakes. But the powerstop replacements I got were a perfect replacement for what I needed and I would totally recommend them.

·
Video Game Modder
2,609 Posts
+1 on the R1 concepts premium rotors. have a set (police package size rear) on my 05 RT AWD and they have seen some harsh track driving and they are still holding up and brake smoothly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just finished replacing my rotors and pads.

I purchased Baer Decela Sport Rotors and EBC Red Stuff brakes (for the Police Package which I have).

NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE.

Mine is an SXT Police package, which means the rear rotors are 1" larger than stock SXT rear rotors. After getting that cleared up and a different set of rear rotors, I couldn't be happier.

Probably about $750 in mine. But dang, what a difference.

I got them from 'AUTOANYTHING DOT COM' - I got super help after the rear rotor snafu - from both AutoAnything AND from Baer tech support people. Could NOT BE HAPPIER and OBOY does this thing stop like I dropped anchor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, every RT I've seen has what appears to be twin piston calipers (they look like the FRONT calipers). My SXT police package are not. Smaller and I don't THINK they are twin piston. But maybe they are. I don't think so. But the fact that they APPEAR to be twin piston is WHY I want them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts