Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to put this out there as I have been reading a few others posts on here about having a odd clunking from the front area.

I had this and got to looking and this is what I have found.

I had my front drivers side C/V boot rip so I looked into options.
I pulled my tire of and did a inspection of the area and found that the shaft its self had huge amounts of play, so I pulled the other side to check the difference. Determined that the drivers side shaft was bad. Ordered a new one from AutoZone, waited about two weeks for it to get here.

When I was installing the new shaft I found that the design of the shaft was one I was not used to seeing. I will try and post some pictures up tonight.

Part of the shaft slides into itself and mine had lots of play (rounding out) in that portion.
After replacing the shaft and torqueing it to specs and rechecking after 50 and 200 miles.
The vast majority of the clunking has been fixed, I still have some from the front diff, but being as this is system designed to adjust for wheel slippage, I'm content with the small amount. I am in the process of getting fluids to do my diff's to see if that helps any.

I would encourage folks that are worried about it to either get the shafts checked or check them yourselves for play. While you have the tire off one side you can try rotating that brake rotor by hand and you will feel a small amount of play coming from your diff. If you grab the shaft behind the suspension/brake assembly, it should be fairly solid. Mine move a good half a inch in all directions, this much play can cause unneeded stress on the c/v shaft and hub assembly.

Just my two cents folk.
I am a Mechanic and have over a decade of experience. I know this may not be easy to understand, but I will answer questions the best I can.

Thanks guys and gals,

-Bardig

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The inner tie-rods are elusively clunky on the AWD. I had replaced many parts on mine, especially the lower control arm bushings and although it took away much of the clunking, it still did not solve it. Then I did the sway bar bushings...nope. Then I did the outer tie rod ends....nope. Then finally, the inner tie rod ends and that did it. Been quiet since 2009 now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts