Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im meeting up with a local guy who does my tinting for me and hes got some carbon fiber vinyl for me. I plan on doing my rear hatch, window trim, mirrors, and doing a friends trunk on his charger. I'm new to this vinyl stuff but I'm very confident. I know I'll need a heat gun and sharp xacto knife! anyone got any other pointers or tips for me? greatly aprechiate all the help! will post a thread with lots of pics when done! :)

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,574 Posts
That is gonna be cool..... looking forward to finished pictures! I'd love to do my window trim too!

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
A spray bottle with water and a few drops of dish detergent. And something small to use as a squeegee. A towel helps too, to smooth out any bubbles, keeps from scratching. I have a bad habit of using my fingernails to work in edges, the towel helps from them doing damage. Let me know how the mirrors go, i would like to do mine but there are a ton of angles. A friend mentioned going to a junk yard and picking up an old one to practice on. Careful with that Xacto, i was so worried about cutting into the rubber trim, but so far so good. the only cut was my thumb! Oh, and measure, measure, measure! you know the old saying, measure twice cut once. I do quilting and found that my tools worked really well for cutting the vinyl. I have 20"x6" acrylic rulers, a rotary cutter, and of course a large self healilng mat. Nothing like dual purpose! Good luck!

·
VinylDecals.com
1,757 Posts
It's not recommended to use water/soap fluid on the 3m 1080 vinyl. It has special air release channels in the adhesive to help with a bubble free installation. Here is the documentation for the 3m stuff -http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?11111FfKW5rDxIEe&3E18IEeqGfBq5fKTGd1qGd1q111111--

#1 tip, make sure the areas are clean, super clean.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
It's not recommended to use water/soap fluid on the 3m 1080 vinyl. It has special air release channels in the adhesive to help with a bubble free installation. Here is the documentation for the 3m stuff -http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?11111FfKW5rDxIEe&3E18IEeqGfBq5fKTGd1qGd1q111111--

#1 tip, make sure the areas are clean, super clean.
Thanks for that info Steve, this is a different product to work with. Everything is coming out good, i'm very happy with the look (and so are a few of my friends). Unfortunately your link doesn't work.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it this afternoon! its 2:45am over here and I just finished some pieces , something took over me and I couldn't stop this stuff is addicting! so far ive done, center console, map light pocket, and stereo bezel Will post pics after my camera charges up tomorrow morning!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts