Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just bought a 2005 Dodge Magnum SXT AWD, always been a huge magnum fan and am now a proud owner. Let me cut straight to it, I want my car to be considered a solid custom, and car that serves functionally and is super cool.
1st, heres what I've done so far, let me know what you think:
Kenwood excelon deck with garmin navigation, bluetooth, hidden ipod connection, dvd player; 2 10" kenwood subwoofers, kenwood amp, 4 alpine door speakers, HID headlights, window tint, and 6" sunstrip. The car is on its way

2nd: I want to know what you all have done to your magnums to make them stand out, engine upgrades, performance, etc..

3rd: I want to go dark, so far the tint is my first step. Do you think going two tone, upper half black with a silver pinstripe to separate would look classy? if not im open to ideas!
4th: how big should i go on the rims? i will be buying black wheels, but im not sure how big or which brand any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Danny

p.s. i will post pics as the car comes along!

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
welcome... location might dictate wheels, in the winter(where U @?)....AWD is going to be your higher offset wheels, prob. more options. GL with everything!

...off to work
PineApple Express, "...time to suck the days dic"

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Wecome to the board you and wil find a great of guys and girls on here. As Dlash said your biggest challange wil be the off set.

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,574 Posts
Welcome from a FOUR MAGNUM family in North Carolina. Are you looking more for performace aspect or customizing?
Tee and I have been customizing ours for looks and we love them all!

I, personally like the engine dress up kits....

Or some Pappajohns shifters...

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,413 Posts
Welcome from Illinois. The most obvious mods I've done would be 22s, suspension, verts and my hood. As far as your 2tone question... I've always liked when the roof and pillars get painted black, windows get blacked out and the rest of the car remains factory paint. Personally, I think 22s look best on Magnums. Brands would be determined by your budget. You can pick up a new set of 22s for $1000, less if you find some used. That, or you could blow $2000 PER wheel. Really depends on your personal sitch, man.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Scroll through the pages here and you'll get eyes full of ideas, I and many others have. Two tone, what color is your Magnum now, did I miss that part? I like most two-tones when they follow the body lines. Some of my favorites are the orange creme and vanilla two-tones. Region (weather), road conditions, and use for car should dictate wheel choice, thats my thoughts.
Body wise the Maggies are a canvas, and you can be the artist. My plans are for a front end redo, at a minimum SRT grill w/ Danko chin, side skirts, rear spoiler customized, mid-gate spoiler, rear bumper from RT/SRT (I already cut my SXT for the dual exhaust), and I've added a roof rack (I snowboard). Wheels... I'd love some Option-5, but $ and use/road conditions will probably dictate 300 SRT8 wheels. Suspension, looks like I'm heading towards BCR Coilvers, functionally best bang for the buck, lower stance (adjustable via coil plate) tighter dampening and adjustable. Got a couple trick interior ideas I'm not sharing until I'm done as they will be unique.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome from a FOUR MAGNUM family in North Carolina. Are you looking more for performace aspect or customizing?
Tee and I have been customizing ours for looks and we love them all!

I, personally like the engine dress up kits....

Or some Pappajohns shifters...

Thanks for the response Jim!
your magnums look incredible, so sick. Okay as far as your question, I honestly am trying to marry the two. I want my magnum to stand out and look incredible, but also maintain its functionality as a wagon.
Now i see you have interior blue lights, where did you get them and how do you like them?

Also where did you get those kick ass shifters? the chrome lining around mine is loose so i may need to replace it so why not do something there as well!

Thank you again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I surf/ snowboard as well and my sxt has the roof racks which are going to be a big asset. I have an aftermarket exhaust from the previous owner, but dual would be cool too, if I went that route what would you recommend?
My color is Magnesium pearl, and my idea was the top half black with the central plateau of the hood black all the way down the grill, and all the lettering on the back (magnum, sxt, awd) to be blacked as well, including the tail lights. Maybe a silver pinstripe to separate the colors but im not quite sure yet.
Im from Southern California, so road conditions are generally good excluding the mountains when i head for the snow. I want to do 22" black rims but again I'd love suggestions on brands, or places to find them.

Thank you for your ideas!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to do 22"s, they really are the best size for the magnum I feel like. I need quality, but not at an obscene price. Any brands in particular I should look to? i definitely want to go black

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay,

you can tell I'm totally new to this, can u explain what offset means and how i should judge my rim selection based upon it?
I'm from SoCal!

Thank you!!!

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,574 Posts
It sounds like you have some incredible plans for your mag.

Just to give you my 2cents on some things.

If I had your car and wanted dual exhaust, I got with a Blastin Bob's set up; have this on my R/T and love it. You can contact RadGlenn for info and prices. We have true dual exhaust on Tee's SXT (The DEMON) and we had the back cut out for pipes and added bazels; love the look.

As far as ANY lighting goes, either got some at the Fleamarket or Wally World. Here's Tee's blue lights from Wally World.

As far as wheels we got most of ours from folks on Craigs list. I bought these 20" 2010 Challenger wheels from there.

This is Tee's 05 R/T (same color as mine), and she has 22" Akuzza wheels.

This is my 06 SRT with DUB "Bomber" 22" wheels ~ 9.5 wide on front and 10.5 wide on rear.

This is Tee's 06 SXT with 22's...

*** Note you need an offest from +15 - +18 for RWD vehicals ***

As far as our shifters MOST came from PappaJohn, a member on here that makes these awesome shifters!

Hope some of this information is helpful. IF I can help you with anything, just let me know!!!

Jim

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,413 Posts
Okay,

you can tell I'm totally new to this, can u explain what offset means and how i should judge my rim selection based upon it?
I'm from SoCal!

Thank you!!!
Here's a link that will explain it to you pretty well...
+13 to +18 is where you wanna be on offset. Otherwise, you'll have clearance issues with your front brakes OR the rim will stick out past your fender.

Wheel Tech - Offset

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jim I love your Magnums, ESPECIALLY the 06 SRT Dub, awesome. I eventually want to have two magnums, I really love the car. Okay, so your pictures gave me more ideas. Did you put a sunstrip on your headlights?
Where did you buy your halo headlights? I found some on ebay but I want to find good quality headlights that will last a decent amount of time.
Do you know of anyone selling rims at a decent price? Everywhere seems to be very pricy.
Also, in your opinion, do you think magnesium pearl (factory paint) would look kick ass with a two tone black paint job? I was planning on going in two stages :

1. paint grill, tail lights, and lettering (magnum, awd, sxt) in black
2. then the roof and pillars black.
But im not sure if the roof would be as cool as i think it would, but in general im trying to go for a dark theme.

My next question, i bought the car with 85,000 miles, and I want to keep it forever and not permanently as a daily driver. At what point should I consider a new engine, and when I do would it be safe to buy a hemi with the all wheel drive?
Im a long way away from that but it never hurts to get some ideas.
Thank you Jim!! I will post some pics today hopefully!

·
Video Game Modder
2,609 Posts
First thing IMO would be to remove the door moulding, makes it look MUCH better.

When it boils down to it, it's your car. Look at what other people have done (or even ask for a photoshop of it to see what it would kinda look like....some talented people on here when it comes to doing that), and do what you like the most

For the tails, I painted/tinted mine. Masked off the reverse/signal lights and continued that line up and down to mask off the brake/reflector.

And here's another idea for rims for you (it's just a photoshop...won't have the actual rims on the car until late March 2011). American Racing Phantom Rims:

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,413 Posts
There's a member here with a 2tone Magnesium/black paint job. It's sick. Roof and pillars are black. I'd post pics if I could remember his name.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love it!

Ok who can i get to photoshop for me???

Secondly,

How do you remove the door panels?

Is it as simple as a blow dryer and dental floss or am i looking at something more complex?

·
Video Game Modder
2,609 Posts
all I did was use dental floss, and then some Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Clay Bar with LOTS of elbow grease (worked better than goo gone for me). I didn't use a blow dryer
If your fingernails have a smooth edge and not rough (ie: not recently clipped), you can use your finger nail to get the majority of the tape off and you won't damage the paint. and then use the clay bar for the rest.

Make sure you use gloves too!!! Not sure if other stuff like fishing line will or not, but the dental floss will cut your fingers up badly! And if you use dental floss make sure you fold it so it's a few strings in strength, and have LOTS. the warmer out it is the easier it will be.

And most importantly....DO NOT PULL ON THE MOULDING. If you pull it off, you might take paint off with it meaning you will have to get the door repainted.

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,413 Posts
I used dental floss to get em started and then I peeled em right off the doors. Goo Gone, or similar ahesive remover, works for anything left behind on the paint. By the time you wash it, you'll never know they were there. If so, a clay bar kit should bring your paint back to it's original shine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay going to remove my moldings this afternoon! I have picked a set of rims for my maggie, I want to know from anyone what you think and any suggestions in this general style! My base color is Magnesium Pearl, with tinted windows, soon to go black roof, pillars, and tail lights. heres a link to check them out:

http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rims/22_inch-giovanna-caracas-black flat.html

They seem really cool, designed for AWD, and reasonably inexpensive.

Also I'm going to get a clay bar kit, good suggestion! ^^

1 - 20 of 25 Posts