Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my radar detector in and figured I would hardwire it in because I cannot stand cords hanging in places, and it looks a lot cleaner this way. Followed others on the forums and figured I'd make my own write up!
For reference, I have an '07 SXT.

First of all, I saw NUMEROUS write-ups detailing taking apart the nav bezel, tapping into the cig lighter power, and running a cable all the way up and hiding it and a bunch of unnecessary stuff. No need to make it so complicated!! The power source is in the driver side pillar, and it makes it far easier to tuck into the headliner.

I took the pillar trim off, which is fairly easy. Pull on it and it will unsnap, and the pull upwards near the edge closest the window, and it will come loose from the other piece and you're good to go!
IMG_20140510_151550.jpg

In my car, the connector was laying limp near the bottom, as I do not have a sunroof or any other fancy things that I assume this was for. Keep in mind, it does not have barely if ANY slack, so it's a little stubborn to work with. Used my multimeter to test each point and see which one was the one I needed and it ended up being the one in which the red/orange wire goes into. I used the positive from my detector and tapped into it.

IMG_20140510_151601.jpg

For the ground, I found a screw near the top of where the pillar is.

IMG_20140510_151545.jpg

Before putting the pillar back on, I tucked the wire running to the detector into my headliner, leaving the slack in the pillar and tucking it accordingly; there's plenty of space. Get the positioning right first, and then tuck it all away. My detector had a dual suction cup flat mount that slides into it, making it low profile and I was able to mount it on the verrryy edge of the windshield. The finished product is ultimately hard to see, clean, and highly visible to the driver as well.

IMG_20140510_153044.jpg
IMG_20140510_153034.jpg

Good luck, and don't get any speeding tickets! :beerchug:

·
GooN
950 Posts
Nicely Done! :) I have always wanted a radar detector, but I'm not sure why.. I'm typically a slow poke.. lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am as well, I drive very conservatively. But whenever I have to go on a long trip, I'm often stuck at 1am going the speed limit when no one is around on a country road or interstate. This just gives me a little more piece of mind about not being able to see a cop when I want to speed on the highway.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hope you don't get caught.
In a lot of States and Provinces, radar detectors are illegal.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I do like the write-up.
I plan to (at some point) install a dash-cam.
This write-up will come in handy.
Thank-You!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts