Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing wrong structurally, but I'd been under the apparently mistaken impression that the Factory Reproduction wheels were powder coated. Maybe they are and the coating didn't take well on mine...

Anyway, it seems like even the slightest tap will cause the coating/paint to chip off. I was re-installing my wheel today and barely, really, bumped the socket against the spoke, next to where the lug bolt comes through. I noticed a fairly good sized chip appeared.

Thinking it was a fluke, and not very noticable, I didn't get too upset... however, on another wheel, I dropped one of the lug nuts from about an inch and it took a sizable chip out of the finish.

Am I the only one experiencing this? I'm not complaining... much... for the price, these wheels are a dang fine deal, I'm just wondering.

Also, assuming this is going to continue, I'm going to have to refinish the rims. Right now, the silver is nearly a perfect colour match to my car. For something different, I was thinking about having the wheels completely polished and cleared... any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really never had a problem until just recently. I know that aluminum doesn't like being plated, it'll start flaking off, unless there's been some very specific preparation done. Maybe it's the same with powder/paint coatings...

I live in SoCal, so at least I don't have to deal with the winter weather and it's effects.

These chips really aren't that noticable, unless you're lookin' for 'em... it's that I know they're there and I'm a picky old cuss.

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,568 Posts
The chips would drive me crazy! I have the actual ALCO SRT Challenger wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts