Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright last night I got my two subs ordered and am in the process of getting my amp, now I have one question. Eventually I'm going to replace the factory head unit with probably an flip out indash or something, but first I need to know something.
1. If I keep my head unit and want to hook up the amp and subs do I need a level line converter or do I have to buy the CBUS thing?? I'm not sure what it is exactly, and...
2. When I go aftermarket and I still going to need that interface to run an aftermarket head unit or no???

Thanks,
Chris.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Crummy said:
Alright last night I got my two subs ordered and am in the process of getting my amp, now I have one question. Eventually I'm going to replace the factory head unit with probably an flip out indash or something, but first I need to know something.
1. If I keep my head unit and want to hook up the amp and subs do I need a level line converter or do I have to buy the CBUS thing?? I'm not sure what it is exactly, and...
2. When I go aftermarket and I still going to need that interface to run an aftermarket head unit or no???

Thanks,
Chris.
The amp may has a speaker level inputs, that should get you by for now. If it dont have the speaker level inputs then you will need a converter. Just tap into the rear speaker leads.

When you go aftermarket, there are a couple of things that need attention. If you have steering wheel controls you will need an interface. There are a couple of companies out there. I think even Alpine has gotten into the OEM interface game. The second thing is that there is not an ignition controlled power lead on the stock harness(CANBUS controlled). Most people tap off of the cigarette lighter power lead. There is one catch, if you have the smokers package, the lighter is constant on. This is easily fixed. Fuse 18 ( I think) just needs to be moved to the other position. Its a 3 slot setup, one leg of the fuse goes in the center. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes SEMI-HEMI thank you! I figured I didnt need that CAN BUS, but my buddy that owns an audio shop said he talked to somebody and they knew I needed one. He's never worked on a Magnum before so I knew he didnt have a clue.
The whole ignition thing I kind of figured, most new cars dont have that so you ussually have to tap it somewhere, that was the first place I was going to tap to.

Thank you SEMI-HEMI!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Crummy said:
Yes SEMI-HEMI thank you! I figured I didnt need that CAN BUS, but my buddy that owns an audio shop said he talked to somebody and they knew I needed one. He's never worked on a Magnum before so I knew he didnt have a clue.
The whole ignition thing I kind of figured, most new cars dont have that so you ussually have to tap it somewhere, that was the first place I was going to tap to.

Thank you SEMI-HEMI!
Not a Prob, If you can get pics during the install, you can submit it as a Tech Post

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I might do that. I have alot of projects I'm going to be starting soon and I can submit hopfully~! Or just post pictures.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Crummy said:
Ok, I might do that. I have alot of projects I'm going to be starting soon and I can submit hopfully~! Or just post pictures.
Well, if you submit the pics I can help out by doing the writing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts