Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size is the opening for the headunit? Din and 1/2 or double din? Anyone have a flip out screen there? How does it look?

·
Registered
28 Posts
factory is a din and a half I believe... I have a single din pioneer with 6.5 inch screen I think it looks great both colapsed and up for viewing. wish I had a better picture

·
Registered
160 Posts
i also think its a din and a half...there are head units (touch screens) that mount perfect into the space flush (non flip) with minimal alterations to the dash

personally, i kept the stock head because i liked the flow of it and i installed a monitor up in my sunglasses holder which takes care of movies and navigation

-todd-

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
socalmag said:
What size is the opening for the headunit? Din and 1/2 or double din? Anyone have a flip out screen there? How does it look?
You can actually squeeze a double din in. Here is my Kenwood DDX7017. The b*tch of it was that there arent any mounting kits for 2DIN. Lil fabrication of brackerts, stripping a reg mounting kit for the ears and trimming of the stock bezel, and it just slides in hahah.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i actually had a feeling it was double din, and that is the flush mount that i was talking about above...looks nice 356

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
northeastern08 said:
356, what are those two LEDs in your center cluster?? alarm? for show? K40?

just curious

-todd-
Simulated alarm, they come on whenever the car is shut down. Works too haha, we had a rash of 7 cars broken into at one time. The cars on both sides of mine were ripped off. Not bad for a $20 invesetment haha.

·
Registered
84 Posts
How hard is it to take out the factory and install an aftermarket head unit? We have a professional stereo installer in town that I am best friends with and he is nervous about removing everything.
Also installing a system? Amp/subs, how hard is that? I've done it to hundreds of cars just never on a Magnum. I know I'll need line converters and such but what else?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
This may seem like a hijack, but my reponse has basic info and thought I would share it. If there is any complaints I can delete this post and then start a new thread for crummy.

Crummy said:
How hard is it to take out the factory and install an aftermarket head unit? We have a professional stereo installer in town that I am best friends with and he is nervous about removing everything.
Also installing a system? Amp/subs, how hard is that? I've done it to hundreds of cars just never on a Magnum. I know I'll need line converters and such but what else?

Thanks,
Chris
First do you have the "premium" stereo (with amp)? I HAD the base system. Removing the factory bezel is a snap, litterally. You have to pull out the ashtray and its mounting assembly (just pull on the astray). Then the bezel just pulls off. Mounting kits are easy to find for the non NAV systems. If you have NAV then it has to be custom fabricated. Of course you can always get a non nav bezel and reg mounting adater. Use an car wiring adapter to hook up the new HU. The only problem is that there is no ingition controlled power at the harness. The common method is to tap off of the cig lighter. And another possible prob is that if you have the smoker group, the cig lighter is constant on. That is easily changed by moving the cig lighter fuse in the other slot(there is 3 slots, center slot has a fuse lead and the other two determine if constant or ign power.

As for the level converter, if you are replacing the HU, you get a HU with atleast 1 set of RCA's (non sub). I am an Alpine freak and can recommend one of theirs, just tell me what you are looking to do.

Other than the ign power issue, it is a straight forward install.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just have the base system, and I dont believe I have the smoker group so that is good. Seems to be just like every other car set up.
I do plan on getting the Navagation Unit if possible. Would that be a hard thing to change? From the Base CD System to a Nav System? I really dont care much for the navagation part just the Video part. I guess I could put a double DIN in therer.
Thank you.
That seems easy enough.

·
Registered
83 Posts
socalmag said:
I am using the pioneer AVIC-N2 flip out touch screen and i love it....it only uses one din, it has potential to view up to 6 external monitors, back up camera,performance( G's, side G's, angle,turning angle,speed, etc) and also has nav traffic.....which is really neat it detects accidents,pile ups, crazy traffic and reroutes you to a better faster route.....Had it since March but it didn't go on the shelves until june or july
Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts