Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got an 05 rt awd,K&N CAI, high flow JBA Cats, and Diablo tune. I would like to get headers and exhaust but from my research installing headers on an AWD will take up to 8hrs. I do not work on cars and will have to hire a mechanic to install them.
Is it worth it to install the headers or should I just do a cat back system? This is an everyday driver that I intend on taking to the drag strip with my father.
Thanks

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've come to a point in my life where I don't do such modifications myself. I get a mechanic to do it for me.
Split up the costs over two years...
Do the Cat Back Exhaust this coming year. (I did mine this past spring.)
Do the Headers the following year. (I PLAN on getting Headers installed next spring.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Any suggestions for a cat back that improves the sound but doesn't overwhelm you with interior noise?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Your going to want a tuner! Diablosport Trinity or the Intune.
If your looking for gains in tq and hp the headers would be first IMO it is probably the hardest part, the cat back can be done later, you can even have the suitcase cut out put in mufflers, and remove the resonators. I had Flow Master American Thunder, I liked it but wanted it louder and had an issue when I replaced my rear end, so I had a shop replace the FM mufflers with SLP loud mouth 1s I love it but it is very loud when you romp on it! Cat backs all range in price, and usually a trade off, Corsa I've heard are great sound with no drone, but $$$$.
I will be having my headers put in hopefully next month. Been sitting in the garage for almost a year, got a smoking deal on a set of Jba shorties, I baked then with a dei titanium coating, then heat wrapped them with dei titanium wrap.

·
Registered
313 Posts
When I installed my headers, I had to reposition my oil dipstick. The passenger side is the hardest to do, you have very little room. Make sure you use the mopar header gaskets, don't use the one's supplied by the aftermarket part your installing. It may be wise to find a good mechanic lock in a price and save your money as you're able then have it installed. My RT set up is louder than my SRT both have Corsa Extreme, at WOT it's awesome...no drone! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am probably going to wait on the headers for a while. From my research it could take a skilled mechanic up to 5-8 hrs to install them on an AWD. At $90 an hour that would get pretty expensive. I will take a look at the corsa cat backs though as I think that is probably my next purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You say the American thunder wasn't loud enough for you? That might be perfect for me then cause I don't need to wake up the neighbors every time I start my car in the morning haha.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I did my own headers on my AWD R/T about 5 years ago. It took me a full 9 hours with a lift and shorty ratcheting wrenches. I did a full how to on the install mod. Look up my user name and you find a how to install complete with photos. It was a total PITA! If your gonna do headers, do them when you do a cam swap. ��

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts