Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone please explain to me why my magnum will not start......when i get into my car and start it up.....it turns on for two seconds and then cuts off, i also notice this red dot on the dash board...any ideas on what this could be....i dont kno anything about cars and im not tryin to spend any money....ive read something about the keys and that being a problem, however in my case...i dont use my keyless entry....my battery is dead so i always enter manually.......is this the problem...someone please help me becuz its friday night and i was suppose to go clubbing : (.....please dnt let me miss saturday night??

·
Registered
179 Posts
Try replacing the battery in your key fob, there is a security feature in it. Short and simple...the key needs to communicate with the car computer for it to run.

·
Premium Member
14,795 Posts
if the battery is too dead to open the doors, its too dead to communicate with the ECU. Without the skreem(?) interface working properly, your car will NOT stay running more than two seconds. It will start, but then die. Replace the battery in your key fob, they can be found at most autoparts stores

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,575 Posts
We had this same problem with our DEMON car and had to replace the whole key fob but NOW all is well! And we only had the one key!

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
can someone please explain to me why my magnum will not start......when i get into my car and start it up.....it turns on for two seconds and then cuts off, i also notice this red dot on the dash board...any ideas on what this could be....i dont kno anything about cars and im not tryin to spend any money....ive read something about the keys and that being a problem, however in my case...i dont use my keyless entry....my battery is dead so i always enter manually.......is this the problem...someone please help me becuz its friday night and i was suppose to go clubbing : (.....please dnt let me miss saturday night??

Buy one less drink and buy a battery for your key fob

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
sounds like a key battary or a new key.

welcome from san diego, ca

·
Um... hullo?
3,469 Posts
Can someone please explain this to me? I have taken this key apart and the electronics inside have NO connection to the metal of the key. I don't see how the battery has anything to do with it? Does this car work differently than the older ones with the same feature? Wirelessly maybe?

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Sends a signal to the computer.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
the battery has nothing to do with the the rf signal sent from the key all the battery does is control the keyless...

But if you have a second key try using that to see if that one works, if it does you might have a damaged key

·
Um... hullo?
3,469 Posts
Sends a signal to the computer.
Lol. Yeah, I figured that much out on my own :winking-r ... but there is no connection to the metal part of the key itself like there is in other cars. So does it communicate wirelessly? That would mean there are 2 transmitters in 1. One for keyless entry and 1 for starter security?

the battery has nothing to do with the the rf signal sent from the key all the battery does is control the keyless...
That was my impression of how it worked, too.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Lol. Yeah, I figured that much out on my own :winking-r ... but there is no connection to the metal part of the key itself like there is in other cars. So does it communicate wirelessly? That would mean there are 2 transmitters in 1. One for keyless entry and 1 for starter security?
yea there is 2 parts to the circuit board in the key, the keyless part which uses the battery and the rectangle wrapped in copper wire, thats the part the skim module picks up to reconize that it is the correct key starting the vehicle

·
Um... hullo?
3,469 Posts
Bassius recently had this problem. His 2nd key wouldn't work either. He ended up disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and then reconnecting it. That reset the security module and everything started working again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts