Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here we go.... driving down anything but a super smooth road, Rattles like a disco... when I turn wheel back and forth just a little bit hard and fast, there is a bang noise located at the rack area. (left side) It does it on the ground or up in the air. NOTE: Rattle stops when in corners, (left or right). Can't feel it in steering wheel, and stooopidly took it to 125 mph. No vibration. Rattle City. I bought Moog inner tie rods and rented tool. Gonna climb under this early this morning. It's been on three different racks, ten people looking, nothing "obvious" Found. I was right there with them. :dunno:

ANYBODY HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS????
Some of you guys are amazing :hail:

I have probably read every front end post in the history of this car. (It could be cancer) Changed Sway bar bushings, Rattle stayed, HOWEVER, car rides/flies through corners so flat ya won't spill a beer. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
That sounds horrible I hope you get it figured out soon. Hopefully you didn't try taking corners with a beer in your hand lol...

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
If it does it while in the air, you should be able to see the problem. To make a bang or clunk it takes movement. What's moving?

Check the brake dust shields, make sure they are tight. You say you've replaced they sway bar bushings. Check the end links. (top & bottom) Make sure the the front shock assembly is tight. (3 top mounting nuts & bottom mount)

·
Being kept down by the man
7,782 Posts
I just noticed I have a bad sway bar bushing. That would be under load in corners, possibly holding it tight. They are right under the cats, so they can get dried out. Just another thing to check while you're down there.

I have also read the sway bar bushing "pop' out of the bracket as well.

·
Registered
765 Posts
check the bushing in the tension strut! Mine rattles like crazy due to both sides being split in half!
See if yours looks like this?

also when the car is in the air, grab the outer tie rid and see how much play it has in it!

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,413 Posts
Sounds like bad tension struts (torque arms). I had the same symptoms you're describing. I replaced the part and it felt like a new car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Has anyone done a "How To" for the sway bar bushings and/or end links?? I have done a quick search but can't see it... Ps my car is an SE, would other models be similar? Thanks !

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Looks like tention struts may be bad. Get them Rockauto and save money. Change them on both sides too. I changed mine before we sold the car it rode much better and no more rattle or clunk.

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,413 Posts
Has anyone done a "How To" for the sway bar bushings and/or end links?? I have done a quick search but can't see it... Ps my car is an SE, would other models be similar? Thanks !
You're talkin about two super easy and fast jobs. Here's a link that will help you.

http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_files/22101.pdf

For the end links, you'll need two adjustable wrenches. (the link above lists specific sizes) Hold the square end with one wrench while you turn the nut with the other wrench. Do this on each end of the link to remove it from the strut and the sway bar. From there, remove the heat shields and brackets that hold the sway bar. Pull out the sway bar and pull off the bushings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts