Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, when it rains it pours. starting from the beginning..... the check engine light came on the other day on my way into work, as soon as I got home I plugged the flash tuner in to read the code. it was a P0406 code, after doin a little research I found that it was most likely the EGR valve. sounds like a very common problem and ive owned the car for about 5 years and havnt replaced it so figured that was probably it.

went to the dealer to pick up the part......they tried to charge me over $200 JUST FOR THE PART! from what I saw, people were payin about a hundred bucks from the dealer. so I hit the net and got on off of rock auto for $56 with all the gaskets, hate the dealer.

so I disconnected my battery and started takin the egr valve off. was a pain, really tight spots, dropped a lot of tools down inside my car lol, but got it done. I through a fresh air filter in as well. after I reconnected the battery I hopped in and went to start it up.

the first time I started it, it fired right up but the idle was crazy, the rpms were loping like a top fuel car, the throttle would surge and then almost die. I let it go for a few seconds hoping it would even out but I started to worry and shut if off. let it sit for a second thinkin to myself wtf!? tried it again, it fired right up but immediately died. every time I tried starting it would just die. the first few times the oil light came on.....then it wouldn't come on again after that. my flash tuner says there are no codes.

ive tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery multiple times with no change in luck. let it sit all night and tried it again today and same thing, fires but shuts right down, comes up w the oil light.

anyone have any ideas?!! seems like something to do with the battery bein disconnected so long or something? I had a similar problem w my oil pressure sensor but ive already changed it...maybe last year it was. seems weird that it would just go bad sittin there as I was fixin the other problem. I would greatly appreciate any advise. thanks guys!

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you know, im starting to think it has something to do with me disconnecting the battery. a similar situation happened when I put in a new radio of all things. after I reconnected the battery it did the same thing, would shut right off. I had to replace the oil pressure sensor to fix it. maybe im disconnecting the battery wrong and wiggin out or frying the sensor? ive been taking the negative ground cable off, is there a different procedure you are supposed to do or something? might start another thread on that subject

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
anyone think pulling fuse 11 will help reset??...are you also sure the door locking is not getting clicked on which will cause it to start and die immediatly...small red dot over by the fuel gage on??...I know from experience on this one...

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
havnt cracked into the fuse box yet. no light on, I know the one you are talking about... but it is not on. the check engine light is on before I start the car (always is until you start it) but I noticed it blinked several times after I had turned the ignition on and just waited a few seconds, not starting it but just sitting with the ignition on. then when I turn it over it fires and dies. sometimes it gives a oil light sometimes no lights, and still wont show me any codes with my reader. thanks you btw for leaving the advice, killing me not knowing how to fix it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Is it possible you disturbed the oil pressure sensor wires while changing the EGR valve? Should not affect starting though. Good luck figuring this out and I would be tempted to pull fuse 11 too now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am a forklift tech for a living and have found over the years, if I do a repair, and there is a problem after I'm finished, it usually something I did wrong. Go back and check everything you did. Wires not plugged in all the way, bolt lose, something not installed correctly.....

Good luck, not fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts