Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 Dodge magnum RT rear wheel drive and was told a few months back that I had a crack in my engine block after taking it to dodge and getting a chemical test. Since I've been looking for a motor to drop into it instead of spending on a rebuild. I found a 2013 hemi RT motor with the transmission out of a charger and called around asking if I could drop the newer year motor. So far I've been told no. One of my buddies told me that all I have to do is take the mounts off of my motor and put them on the new one. He also said I would have to switch the harness. Is this possible?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know it can be done but the question is who wants to do it? I have asked a lot of garages to do a what seems simple mod/idea and they just wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well... It wouldn't be JUST the Engine and Harness, but the Control Modules as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The 2013 model has a 6 speed auto trans instead of a 5 speed auto, so there is probably some sort of computer control and different harness for the trans as well as the engine. You might be able to swap in the 2013 engine only and hook it up to the existing harness. If the 2013 engine is "drive by wire", you may need to transfer your throttle control system over to the newer engine. Basically just use the newer engine as a long block and transfer all of the accessories and sensors to the new engine from the old engine.

The newer engine won't know it is in an older car if all of the electronics, and linkages are transferred from the older engine. If you try to put the newer engine & trans in you may run into complications, but if you strip the 2013 engine down to the valve covers, and bolt on the intake, throttle and sensors from the 2005, the Hemi won't know the difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts