Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

HEY!! Im lowering my Magnum.

16K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Wexy21 
#1 ·
So I need some help. Im thinking about lowering my Magnum (2005 Dodge Magnum SXT Special Edition with 22" x 8.5" on 265/35/22).

How much did you lower with this setup? (I want 1-2")
What brand did you use? (I've researched Eibach)
What issues do you have? (Uneven ware and suspension issues)

Did you LOVE IT after having lowered it?

Let's go guys and gals...help me out!!! :)

Thanks.

#2 ·
I lowered my 07 SXT on 22 x 9.5 (255.30.22)
2" in front, 1.75" in back.
DropZone springs, shocks, struts, RT sway bars
I had uneven tire wear on the rears due to negative camber after lowering. An alignment is necessary to correct this. You'll need 1.5 degree camber bushings.
I'm absolutely in love with how my car handles. I would highly recommend upgrading your sway bars too. At the very least, add a rear sway bar. The V6s do not have one from the factory.

#3 · (Edited)
So I need some help. Im thinking about lowering my Magnum (2005 Dodge Magnum SXT Special Edition with 22" x 8.5" on 265/35/22).

How much did you lower with this setup? (I want 1-2")
What brand did you use? (I've researched Eibach)
What issues do you have? (Uneven ware and suspension issues)

Did you LOVE IT after having lowered it?

Let's go guys and gals...help me out!!! :)

Thanks.
Here are the basics :

Please feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have.

First, you need to break down what you really want. Everything you want or get comes with trade offs.
The lower you go, the ride will usually get firmer. As you stiffen your suspension (eliminate the bounce), you reduce your vertical travel. Once you decide on what you want, then you need to figure out how you're going to get there.
What kind of money do you want to spend? Do you have a need or a desire to adjust the height of your vehicle? Do you want a car that handles as good as it looks or are you wanting "the lowered look with a comfy ride?"

So lets go with your options:

Money is not really an issue, you might consider air bags. The ride quality is good from what I understand and you have the option of "slamming" your car to the ground. At around $3000.00 + or -, it's an expensive option that has it's usefulness if you are into showing your car. A vehicle with air bags can have it's height easily adjusted, "on the fly" if you will, from switches mounted inside the vehicle. Air bags can be more easily damaged than other suspension options. It's best to talk to those that have them to understand the pros and cons of air bag systems.

Then there are Coilovers. Coilovers are a very good choice IMO because you can Adjust the height of your car, adjust the damping of the shocks (firmness) and have very good handling. Adjustments to Coilovers must take place outside the vehicle, often requiring that the weight be taken off the suspension and/or removing the wheels prior to adjustments being made.. Having these options makes Coilovers ideal for track as well as street use. At $1000.00 - $1400.00, they're also expensive. Coilover developement has come a long way and the prices have dropped considerably. I now use a coilover setup instead of spring/dampers and have found the flexbility and ride quality to be superior.

If you want a lowered look with anywhere from stock to performance type handling, then there are Spring/Damper combinations by many different manufacturers that are available. The most common, just to give you an example would be 2 springs made by Eibach. Pro-kit springs and Sportline-kit springs. The pro springs have a 1" -1.5" drop and a moderate spring rate. Not a lot firmer than stock. The Sportline-kit springs have a 2" drop and a much firmer spring rate. Both of these spring kits would benefit from Eibach pro-dampers. The pro dampers are a performance shock made for use with lowering springs, in particular Eibach springs. (they can be used with any springs) With a moderate drop, say 1"-1.5", you might get away with your stock shocks saving you money and leaving your ride more like a stock ride. Keep in mind that with a higher spring rate, if you keep stock shocks, things may be bouncy. It all depends on your tolerance and again, what you're looking for. Anything lower than pro-springs, (like sportlines 2" drop) almost require pro dampers because the ride would be too rough and way too bouncy. Expect to pay around $230.00 + for springs and $400.00 + for dampers. There are package deals, so shop around.

***FYI - The LX platform has an independent rear suspension. There is no adjustment for camber. (front or rear) The lower you go, the more negative the camber becomes (wheels tilt in at the top) This can be corrected by installing bushings in the rear and/or new control arms in the front. Bushing selection for the rear should be determined after installation of lowering kit and after alignment has been checked.

"Strut bar", "Strut brace" and "Strut tower brace" refer to the same kind of device, a bar mounted between the front strut towers. The purpose of this bar is to reduce the flex that these towers experience during hard cornering. Reducing the flex will keep the wheels in position and in the desired position on the road, allowing the suspension to work as engineered without chassis flex changing camber and caster settings. This will help to improve traction on the turns, increasing turn-in response, and help to reduce understeer.
By solidifying and isolating the struts in their original configuration, it allows the suspension components (stock or modified) to retain their geometry and to function as designed. Typically, steering will seem quicker and more responsive, but in reality, it is the suspension doing its job properly. These devices typically cost around $300.00

Sway bars are a torsion spring that resists body roll motions. Anti-roll bars (sway bars) provide two main functions. The first function is the reduction of body lean (roll). The other function of anti-roll bars is to tune the handling balance of a car. Sway bars are one of the more noticable upgrades that can be made to a car. Expect to pay from $250.00 - $350.00 for a front and rear sway bar set.

Well that's it for starters.Those are some of the basics. If you have questions, I'm sure that anyone on these forums or myself would be glad to help

#6 ·
just did(2-3 months ago) eibach sportline 2" approx drop on some 20x9 challenger srt wheels and it looks hot, but as fireman stated my car is starting to bounce a bit as i still have the stock struts on, will soon be changing to eibachs struts when $$$ permits after cam install, so with 22" rims the "look" would be killer, but think about long term, i would save up for the whole package(springs/struts) or coilover set up, airbags are...too much $$$$ IMO, but its all up to ur wallet and skillz with a wrench that limit u

#7 ·
got Eibach Pro kit (springs and shocks) got from autoanything for 560. 1.5 inch drop. the ride is 10 times better but i cant put my 17" for winter anymore, cause it will be way to low for snow. had 20" a few months ago and couldnt even go over a little bump down to the House Garage Parking. Got 22" and its all good. it depends what you use your car for, whats your driving habbits and so on. I can see putting Eibach Sportline but it would be too low for the city like NYC. With any springs your back is going to be a little lower then the front, if you can afford Coilovers it would be an adjustable height as you like. So look into all your options before you get something!

#8 ·
I also have the Eibach Prokit with their prodampers, I got a 1.5" drop all around and I can honestly say its not a stiff ride, even on 22"s, you will have to watch out for parking curbs and cut angles on steep aprons on driveways. I love the look and the handling. I back into parking spots so I will never hit or hook my front fascia on a parking curb. You definitely will learn to drive a little differently in a lowered car, very small price to pay to be in a low mean lookin wagon.

#10 ·
This is some SOLID feed back guys (and gals). Short on cash these days so I have plenty of time and energy to do my research! I was just told today to stay away from Eibach and spend a bit more money for the quality. On the same note, I was steered away from Flowmaster and pointed towards Borla. What are your thoughts on this?...will I REALLY "get what I pay for" in this case or can I get away with a spendy Eibach prokit?

#15 ·
Once you start the project, keep a few things in mind. When you are doing the rear...Don't do this:
http://www.custommagnums.com/forums...lp-getting-bolt-back-rear-picture-inside.html

I followed an old post here on how to lower and should have went in from underneath (near the differential) instead of going in from at the wheels. It's just so much easier (it's 4 bolts).

I'm using Dropzones 2" kit and am happy with them. However, I drive my car maybe once a month and never in poor weather. So if you have this as your daily driver, you will prb want to save and get coil overs like Fireman suggests. You also have to change your driving habit (no more flying into parking lots or drive-thru's), or you will bottom out.

Like everyone else said, you'll need the camber kit to get the rear back as close to original as possible or you'll start wearing out you tires.

Here are some links with pics and discussion about lowering:
http://www.custommagnums.com/forums...one-lowering-kit-ill-need-do-what-camber.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.