Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you can change your oil you can do this!

This is on a 5.7, not sure if it is different for the V6 models or the AWD

You'll need this:

H14 Hex bit: (Picked up a three pack at Autozone for$12)

A fluid transfer pump: (Autozone has this one for $7)

2 Quarts (2 bottles) of 75-140 synthetic gear lube: (I used Mobile 1)

Now your ready to start the job, drive the car for a while to warm up the rear axle fluid so that it will drain more easily then raise the car and make it level. I used ramps for the front wheels and jack stand for the back.

Loosen the top bolt on the driver side. This will allow air to flow when you start draining. You can remove the bolt, but fluid might start to leak out. Mine had junk in the bolt and made it seem like the 14mm was too big. I took a mallet and tapped the drive in the fitting. You might need to do the same or scrap some of the junk out.

Get a bucket and remove the lower bolt on the pass. side and let it drain (in the meantime, remove the upper bolt, if not already done):

While it is draining get your pump ready. With the pump I purchased I had to cut the top off the fluid bottle so it would fit in:

Put the lower bolt back in and snug it up. I have heard people using Teflon tape of the bolts but I didn't and didn't have any issues.

Stick the pump in the bottle and make sure you attach one of the smaller tubes to the bottom of the pump so it reached the bottom of the bottle. Stick the fill tube in the axle upper hole (The one I used had a clip like part attached to the fill tube. This works great because I needed two hands to pump and didn't have to worry about the fill tube falling out of the hole (insert funny joke here). Now start pumping, you'll need almost 2 bottles to fill it up.

You'll know it's full when fluid starts coming out of the upper hole, where the tube is, so keep that bucket handy. Now go ahead and put the bolt back in tight and you're done. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
CMOM FOR DEC 08
26,575 Posts
I agree; nice write up and pictures too! I didn't know you'd have to fill it that full!

·
3.5GOTU
1,863 Posts
wow cool write up, dealer told me i need this done when I went for my last oil change, they wanted $180 to do it, Im thinking I could handle this one

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do youknow when this needs to be done ? Mileage, crazy noises, etc...?
It is at 48k miles and 96k. I have 70k and figured why not. I think the AWD is sooner.

wow cool write up, dealer told me i need this done when I went for my last oil change, they wanted $180 to do it, Im thinking I could handle this one
Dude, this was SUPER easy, don't waste your mod money paying someone to do this. Easier than doing the oil. Maybe a little messier but much easier.

I agree; nice write up and pictures too! I didn't know you'd have to fill it that full!
No real way to tell when it's full or when you have pumped enough in. Takes 1.7 quarts. Just keep whatever you used to capture the old stuff handy, it's not like it comes shooting out or anything, just starts to flow down.

·
MR 3 FIFTEEN
12,413 Posts
I still have a LONG way to go then. I've put on 6k in the last 2 years. At that rate... I won't need a change for 6+ years.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Nice write up!

AWD fluid change intervals are the same mileages as RWD. AWD is the same procedure for the rear pumpkin. The front pumpkin is on the passenger side and there is only a fill plug. You need a siphon kit with a 3/8" hose or smaller to pump all the fluid out. The hex nut is 11mm. The fluid is 75W90 IIRC. Pretty easy to change too. Just have to remove the front right tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts