Custom Dodge Magnum Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Praise the Lowered!
3,156 Posts
I recently came across this thread- http://www.custommagnums.com/forums/performance-talk/25588-attention-all-cmers.html which gave me the motivation to go take care of this on my car. I didn't see any write ups on it so here we go... It's also on my site at Throttle Body

27 thousand miles- time to clean the Throttle Body.​

Remove the mass air sensor from the air intake. This is done by pushing back the orange lock tab then pressing down on the black tab as shown. You will also have to do this to remove the plug from the throttle body.​

Lets start be removing the air intake, then removing the four bolts with a 10mm wrench. The two bolts on the right also have two nuts that attach the brace that keeps the TB in place with the air intake on.

Now lets get to the two bolts that bolt the brace to the motor block. They are 15mm bolts and it's a tight fit. Also remove the two bolts on the right of the throttle body.

Once it is off, remove the TB.

With your favorite TB cleaner from your favorite local auto parts store, spray it liberally with spray and clean it. Open the valve with your fingers and spray, then let it soak and wipe it out with a rag. Also, spray a rag and reach inside the manifold as far as you can to try to clean up inside it.

Also, when you spray and clean, please take care not to get the spray inside any of the electrical connections inside the TB. Point the TB away from the electrical part to prevent any cleaner from getting inside.

Before Picture (not too dirty at all, really...)

After Picture:​

Installation is reverse from disassembly.​

Now hook it all up but leave your air intake off. Get someone to help you and rev it up to 2000RPM or so, and have them try to keep it there. Take your TB cleaner spray and spray it into the intake in short bursts and try not to stall. Use as much of the spray as you can. And don't get the spray on any electrical or paint.

·
your my boy blue...
5,221 Posts
thats the IAT sensor..

lil tip , keep the throttle body tilted away from the electrical part of the throttle body, so the throttle body cleaner doesnt seep in and soak the electrical portion of it...

·
Praise the Lowered!
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip tho' Bookem on the orientation of the TB, I'll add it to the main body.

Did ya notice any difference when she was all back together ?
I pulled fuse 11 and put it all back together. I think there was a bit of difference, but not sure (so what that means is if I didn't notice it, then probably not...) My TB wasn't really dirty to start with, which is weird because my 05 has 27K on it, I thought it would be messier.

·
your my boy blue...
5,221 Posts
no problem man, just didnt want anyone soaking or spraying down there throttle body, putting it back on, and its acting screwy due to the electrical part of it getting throttle body cleaner in it..

·
5,183 Posts
Nice write up, i will also be doing this...

·
The Overweight Ninja
2,850 Posts
Beans on the write up Rob (once I'm able too - gave too many out lately). Good job man.

Kudos to BK too. Looks like he does "give a phuk". :beerchug:

·
3.5GOTU
1,863 Posts
Awsome write up, I well be performing this today, Trying to get about of the little stuff done befor the white stuff starts flying, did the oil spray last weekend, winter tires tuesday, also want to get the coolant system flushed

·
3.5GOTU
1,863 Posts
Just finished mine, and wow was it freaking dirty glad I did it, cant belive the dealer charges almost $120 to do that

·
Registered
329 Posts

Did you have any problem getting that orange gasket to go back on? For some odd reason mine decided to fall off and when I went to put it back on it was like a 3/16 of a inch to big! I had to tighten one bolt at a time and gently push the gasket back in to the groove with out cutting it or something of that sort. Good post too!! I did mine the other day. . .it wasn't too dirty.

·
Registered
134 Posts
we just did this to our car , and it was so easy. The dealer wanted $189.99 for this to be done. It took us a whole 20-30minutes start to finish.

Glad we did cus the body was really dirty/gummed up.

Thanks for the post--great directions easy as pie........:beerchug:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts